U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:15 PM

27,588 posts, read 43,269,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I wondering how that's going to work out. What could possibly go wrong.
My last boat was the first to take on female officers. I have been following the press releases.

When these ladies finished their first tour, they were offered automatic advancement and healthy cash bonuses to re-up. Most refused to re-up. They would rather serve up with the surface fleet.

It is an all volunteer fleet either way.

As officers they are allowed to un-volunteer and it does not end their careers. [Enlisted are handled differently]

There has been a high turn-over among boat Captains and COBs, 'lack of confidence in their leadership' is the official party line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM

40,837 posts, read 45,283,370 times
Other than a visit to the Nautilus and Albacore museum ships, I have never been on a submarine. I simply do not have the personality required. I would rather be on a PBR.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:30 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,928,781 times
Was a pitsnipe MM on a 30something year old ship. Put your boots and coveralls on the floor next to your bed. Have your wife set your alarm to some random time. When the alarm goes off try to get dressed and run across the house in under 2 minutes as if everyone's life depended on it. Did this so often that for more than ten years when the city lost power I woke up ready to run and couldn't go back to sleep for an hour after the power came back on.

For coffee, you must use a percolator pot with no filter and the cheapest coffee grounds you can find. Brew the coffee and cook it down until the sides have turned dark brown to add flavor. Never scrub the pot clean or you'll loose the flavor.

Before bed, change out the light bulbs with red bulbs and leave them on for the night.

Put about 25 or more people in the living room to choose between one old TV show or one old movie to watch.

Replace sink faucets with spring loaded handles that require you press or pull the handle to get water and shut off when you release.

Cook rice on the stove so that the center is mush and the sides will chip a tooth.

After 11pm serve slices of ham in pans of warm water or generic versions of Chef Boy-R-Dee ravioli at room temperature straight from the can. Those who eat the ham get one day in the rack from food poisoning while a chief yells at you for malingering.

Get bunk beds and have the guy in the top rack get stinking drunk and vomit all over the place while you try to sleep on the bottom rack.

(For engine/fire room guys) Get some red rags and suddenly start waiving them at your family and get mad that they don't realize (or care) that you're doing a fire drill and you're the fire. Can substitute white rags to simulate a major steam leak.

Eat lunch as fast as possible and then rush to your bedroom to lay down on the floor next to the bed for an hour.

Turn on your car the day before you plan to leave and take readings on the running car every hour for 24 hours while eating and sleeping in the car before you actually get in the car and get underway.

Call an electrician to safety check your power tools each time before using them.

If the wife wants you to make repairs, have her submit a repair request and then ignore it for a few years.

Parents coming over to visit? Whatever is broken, put it back together to make it look like it works, clean the house from top to bottom, and everyone get dressed in your best clothes. When they arrive, make sure they only see you and your wife while your kids are hidden away in their bedrooms still wearing their best clothes just in case your parents decide to inspect their rooms. After they leave, announce to the kids what a good job we did on the inspection.

Make ramps or walkwaysfrom your back door to your neighbor's front door and from your front door to your other neighbor's back door. Make more for the next three houses in either direction. Want to visit a neighbor two houses down, walk through your neighbor's homes before getting to the one you want to visit.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 2,792 times
Thanks Listener for a great post!
17 years underway a couple of decades ago and my laundry still smells like JP5.
Can't stop laughing at every one of those items!
All soooo true.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:05 PM

40,837 posts, read 45,283,370 times
I have another couple.

Sit in the engine room of a top heavy deep sea tug (USS Preserver) for 4 hours while the waves are running 15 to 20 ft. or so and look at the inclinometer on the bulkhead while wondering just when is this thing going to roll over into the stable two position. That was a bit unnerving.

Be in the top rack of a stack of six when the last guy rolls into the bottom rack and the chain holding all of them breaks and dumps everyone into a pile of bedding, bruises and general confusion.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Status: "Achilles is in your alleyway, he doesn't want me here" (set 7 days ago)

17,865 posts, read 17,304,008 times
instead of eating lunch, use the half-hour you have to take a nap

Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 5,512,284 times
Gather together with a bunch of people in their early 20's or late teens. Make sure you have a group representing every corner of the country and every ethnic group and every culture.
Work together night and day. Each of you must wear the identical outfits and your hairstyles must conform to a strict standard. You must eat together, sleep in a common room, and shower gym style without much privacy. Learn about each other's background and preferences and hopes for the future.

Then, 50 years later, gather together and realize that those were the best times of your life and that those people were the most important group of people you ever associated with. Find that you view those people as brothers and sisters. As they finally begin to die off you will find your grief explainable but freely expressed.

This, from an old navy veteran who is about to embark on a navy reunion with a group of 20 men he served with in 1968.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM

528 posts, read 266,835 times
I remember my first hair cut while underway. I showed up to the Barber station, some SK was there, butchering a high and tight. I sit down knowing full well I was about to be bald. After he got through, I walked down the P-way and my CMC just happened to see me. "What in the H@ll is that." He walked me right back, and demanded that the SK "fix" my hair cut. It was the only time in my life that I went with a zero guard all over. After that, I found out that all of the "old salts" got their hair cut while on liberty.

Here is a couple, take a wash rag, and stuff it into the drain while taking a shower. Make sure you are done before it starts to overflow into the next stall.

Take 2 rolls of toilet paper and stuff them in the toilet. Get your garden hose, and point it to the clog. Have someone hold the hose while you turn the hose on full blast. Make sure to remind them to keep their mouth shut.

After being locked in your house for 7 months, take the furniture you no longer want, and throw it into the yard in the middle of the night. The next day, claim you never saw that furniture in the house, and have no recollection of what they are talking about.

Remove all of the plastic from your garbage, and store it in a corner of your house for 7 months. When it is time to be removed, make the youngest person in your family spend all day removing it, while all the older members leave to take a family trip.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 PM

27,588 posts, read 43,269,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I remember my first hair cut while underway. I showed up to the Barber station, some SK was there, butchering a high and tight. I sit down knowing full well I was about to be bald. After he got through, I walked down the P-way and my CMC just happened to see me. "What in the H@ll is that." He walked me right back, and demanded that the SK "fix" my hair cut. It was the only time in my life that I went with a zero guard all over. After that, I found out that all of the "old salts" got their hair cut while on liberty.
If you need a hair cut every two weeks, and you can only get a hair cut while on liberty, that would require for you to have liberty at least once every two weeks.

Did you ever go to sea?

Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM

10,199 posts, read 9,987,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you need a hair cut every two weeks, and you can only get a hair cut while on liberty, that would require for you to have liberty at least once every two weeks.

Did you ever go to sea?
Haircut every two weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues