U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 781 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've started my process with joining the Air Force, took my ASVAB and am waiting to get a physical date and go pick my 6 jobs (MEPS is taking a little too long...) but one job I was very interested in when I looked it up on the AF website was "Special Missions Aviation" the page gave a good brief summary and a video of what it's about, but I'm more curious to hear how it is from people who are currently in or have retired from doing it. Pros, Cons type of deal. Granted, now I'm joining to serve and do whatever it is the Air Force needs me to do, it's just this job has peaked my interest and I would like to know how it is from someone else's standpoint who's in, than the Air Forces recruiting standpoint. Thank you! And have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM

259 posts, read 72,539 times
The little I know is it's pretty awesome. You get to do a lot of secret squirrel type stuff and meaningful work where you know what you are doing matters.

The potential cons that I know of, are high ops tempo, lots of time on the road away from home (could either be a pro or con depending what you want) erratic work svhedule, varying hours etc... Potential to get burned out with constant TDYs, get to experience some "fun" schools like SERE etc...

Best of luck. If I got to do it all over again it would be something I would check out. It seems like a pretty great career and tight family of others in your squadron.

A few other careers that you may be interested in if you have to select 6 choices now, just an fyi for some research or due diligence, check out special operations weather, Loadmaster, PJ, combat controller, boom operator or UAV sensor operator, some of those may be of interest to you.

Best of luck

Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The little I know is it's pretty awesome. You get to do a lot of secret squirrel type stuff and meaningful work where you know what you are doing matters.

The potential cons that I know of, are high ops tempo, lots of time on the road away from home (could either be a pro or con depending what you want) erratic work svhedule, varying hours etc... Potential to get burned out with constant TDYs, get to experience some "fun" schools like SERE etc...

Best of luck. If I got to do it all over again it would be something I would check out. It seems like a pretty great career and tight family of others in your squadron.

A few other careers that you may be interested in if you have to select 6 choices now, just an fyi for some research or due diligence, check out special operations weather, Loadmaster, PJ, combat controller, boom operator or UAV sensor operator, some of those may be of interest to you.

Best of luck
Thanks for the positive response!!! A lot of other community pages just say "chances are you won't get in so don't worry about it" type of deal. Really appreciate all the information you've provided. I've spoken to a friend of mine who's currently a Loadmaster and he LOVES it, so that's also an option I'm going to put down, I have not heard of UAV sensor operator but that seems really interesting and I'll do some research on it, along with special operations weather and boom operator. TACP is another job I saw on a brochure at the recruiting office and that might be of interest for me as well. Thank you again for the response and your service.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,156,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Jabroni View Post
Thanks for the positive response!!! A lot of other community pages just say "chances are you won't get in so don't worry about it" type of deal. Really appreciate all the information you've provided. I've spoken to a friend of mine who's currently a Loadmaster and he LOVES it, so that's also an option I'm going to put down, I have not heard of UAV sensor operator but that seems really interesting and I'll do some research on it, along with special operations weather and boom operator. TACP is another job I saw on a brochure at the recruiting office and that might be of interest for me as well. Thank you again for the response and your service.
I was a C-130 loadmaster and I absolutely loved it. The C-17 and C-5 just go from big airport to big airport, with very little variety. The C-130 goes all over the world and you'll see and do things you'd never have imagined. My career took me to over 40 countries on six continents. I also wouldn't want to be a boomer. You get based at some out of the way place and spin circles all day or all night.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM

1,221 posts, read 271,119 times
TACP starts at the P.A.S.T. level and goes up from there. Gotta stay pretty fit.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM

140 posts, read 32,048 times
May I chime in.

My son went into the AF and he told me a lot of the guys would bulk up before basic. They lost all that muscle in basic. Unless you're a 'gym bunny' as he calls them, his feeling is don't overdo on muscle tone, thinking it'll get you though.

Basic is a lot of pressure. Take it from a mom who experienced it on my end. He was able to take his cell phone and could call every so often. My thought is learn to shave quickly, clean quickly in the shower, fold your clothes fast, and take the time to learn basics that will help -- First aide, working as a team, following orders. Learning to sleep instantly.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

10,627 posts, read 4,686,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Jabroni View Post
I work with TACPs a lot (and I was one for three years as well as an ALO) and highly recommend it. Great career field with one drawback, however: it's support of the Army and therefore there is a certain detachment from the Air Force, as most Air Support Operations Squadrons (ASOS) are on Army posts and have no real USAF identity. (Exceptions: Lewis and Bragg which are joint USAF/Army bases)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues