U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM

11,706 posts, read 9,792,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My son in law isn't complaining and we all think Alaska would a be a great place .The Question is mine ,I am the grandfather and I am the one who is curious as to the procedure ,if there were one at all.

I have two son in laws both in the Military and both in NC right now,one at Lejeune and one at Bragg.Having just retired I am with in a short 5 hour drive to see all the grand kids at both Base's I have really gotten to enjoy it, seeing them all at least once a month.I am the one hurting here.
They are lucky to have a grandfather who is involved in their lives. Being separated from family is the hardest part of military life. If they do end up moving to Alaska, will you be able to visit them there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM

9,120 posts, read 2,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
They are lucky to have a grandfather who is involved in their lives. Being separated from family is the hardest part of military life. If they do end up moving to Alaska, will you be able to visit them there?
As in the past when one was across the country at Camp Pendleton we could only afford to send one person and that was the Mrs or I would save up to bring them all home for a time.Now I am on a pension and not a alot of chance's to save that type of money up the way healthcare is going.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 AM

13,152 posts, read 8,413,472 times
You should be forewarned, as someone mentioned earlier, the purpose is to stabilize the student not the service member. No small number of our friends who made this request ended up on an unaccompanied tour. This was especially true of those that did not proactively request stabilization during the timeframe listed in the regs, which is generally done prior to any orders being issued. This program is well known by service members, along with most spouses, applying only after receiving orders is often looked at with a jaded eye by both local commands and MOS/branch managers.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM

9,120 posts, read 2,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You should be forewarned, as someone mentioned earlier, the purpose is to stabilize the student not the service member. No small number of our friends who made this request ended up on an unaccompanied tour. This was especially true of those that did not proactively request stabilization during the timeframe listed in the regs, which is generally done prior to any orders being issued. This program is well known by service members, along with most spouses, applying only after receiving orders is often looked at with a jaded eye by both local commands and MOS/branch managers.
Thank you. Like I said this question is all mine.I was curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues