Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times

Advertisements

Question?Daughter and her family at Ft Bragg NC.Husband is a Staff Sargent who just got orders for Alaska,problem is my grandson who is a Jr in high school this year and is doing super.They don't live on Base so he goes to a regular high school not a DoD school on Base. He has never done so well as he has here,is there anything that can be done?I am asking ,not being Military myself this is all new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Your son-in-law may be able to go ahead to Alaska unaccompanied (geobaching), while the rest of the family stays behind so your grandson to finish high school. I've known many families who make that choice so mm that kids don't have to transfer their senior year. There are pros and cons to going on unaccompanied, if it is even an option. It's not for everyone.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Question?Daughter and her family at Ft Bragg NC.Husband is a Staff Sargent who just got orders for Alaska,problem is my grandson who is a Jr in high school this year and is doing super.They don't live on Base so he goes to a regular high school not a DoD school on Base. He has never done so well as he has here,is there anything that can be done?I am asking ,not being Military myself this is all new to me.
I'm not sure what you want to be "done".

The husband can continue on and leave the family behind. Perhaps just until summer break, or for his entire tour (which would be a shorter tour, if it were unaccompanied).

You can go visit them! We had family come visit us when we were stationed in Europe.

We just heard from some friends a few days ago which went from Ft. Bragg to Alaska, they extended in Alaska, the wife had a baby there, and they are coming back to Ft. Bliss, not far from us.

All the people I know who went to Alaska enjoyed the tour, many extended there. I only went on TDY (Temporary Duty) a few times...

Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
When is your son-in-law's report date? If it's after the start of the school year, he may be able to get the assignment deleted. The Army has a policy of not moving soldiers who have dependents in their senior years of high school. He needs to talk to his chain of command and to the military personnel division.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
When is your son-in-law's report date? If it's after the start of the school year, he may be able to get the assignment deleted. The Army has a policy of not moving soldiers who have dependents in their senior years of high school. He needs to talk to his chain of command and to the military personnel division.
I was not aware of the above. Here is the documentation: https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/Hig...tion%20Program

Quote:
On 14 December 2000, IAW the Army Chief of Staff’s guidance, the Army G-1 approved a Soldier initiated assignment procedure to schedule Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves to occur at times that avoid disruption of the school schedule for Soldiers who have Family members who are high school seniors. The policy was expanded to include Soldiers with Family members in their junior year.

The intent of the procedure is to provide stability to Soldiers with Family members in their junior and senior years of high school. The Enlisted Personnel Management Directorate (EPMD) will, to the maximum extent possible, approve stabilization requests and should not place Soldiers on assignment with report dates prior to the stabilization termination date.

Soldiers should use a DA Form 4187 to request stabilization no earlier than March 1 of the student’s sophomore year and no later than the start of the student’s junior year (apply between March and September). This application window also applies to students in year round schooling programs. Requests submitted later than the start of the student's junior year may be processed as an exception to policy and must include justification that supports the delay in submission of request. No exceptions are authorized for early submission of request.

In cases where Soldiers are already on assignment at time of request to a dependent-restricted tour, to a PCS school, to attend scheduled TDY training (e.g., TDY enroute), are on AI with less than 6 months before report date, or have unique circumstances, EPMD will carefully consider these requests on a case-by-case basis. These actions may be approved with a deletion of assignment or disapproved with the Soldier continuing on AI/TDY and returning to his/her current location.

Regulatory guidance is contained in Army Regulation 614-200, paragraphs 5-26 and 5-27.

Active Duty Enlisted Soldiers POC: Enlisted Procedures and Soldier Actions Branch usarmy.knox.hrc.mbx.epmd-psa-branch@mail.mil or (502) 613-5984. Email subject line should read "HSS Stabilization Request for (Rank_Last Name_First Name).

Active Guard Reserve (AGR) POC: Army Reserve Operations Branch usarmy.knox.hrc.mbx.epmd-arep-branch@mail.mil or (502) 613-5854. Email subject line should read "HSS Stabilization Request for (Rank_Last Name_First Name).

Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Be careful what you put in for.

It is tempting to read that as the Army having a policy against moving Soldiers-at all.

In practice-it often separates the family. Soldiers who put in for this get their current instructions (to long tour areas) deleted, then immediately get put on short tours (Korea, Kuwait, WIAS, etc.). Those places are not nearly as neat as Alaska, then when the kid graduates, the family ends up at Polk or something.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Be careful what you put in for.

It is tempting to read that as the Army having a policy against moving Soldiers-at all.

In practice-it often separates the family. Soldiers who put in for this get their current instructions (to long tour areas) deleted, then immediately get put on short tours (Korea, Kuwait, WIAS, etc.). Those places are not nearly as neat as Alaska, then when the kid graduates, the family ends up at Polk or something.
I have known people who have used this policy to stabilize their families who did not get put on orders to Korea or Kuwait. It sounds like the OP's family might be good candidates for this. Her grandson isn't the best student and is in a school that's working for him. If I were in the son-in-law's position, I'd probably get the assignment deleted and hope for the best.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
I have known people who have used this policy to stabilize their families who did not get put on orders to Korea or Kuwait. It sounds like the OP's family might be good candidates for this. Her grandson isn't the best student and is in a school that's working for him. If I were in the son-in-law's position, I'd probably get the assignment deleted and hope for the best.
I probably would have, also, and taken my chances. I just didn't want anyone thinking the only possible outcome was deletion and the *soldier* not have to move.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I probably would have, also, and taken my chances. I just didn't want anyone thinking the only possible outcome was deletion and the *soldier* not have to move.
Hopefully someone in the soldier's chain of command will give some good advice so he can make an informed decision.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
My son in law isn't complaining and we all think Alaska would a be a great place .The Question is mine ,I am the grandfather and I am the one who is curious as to the procedure ,if there were one at all.

I have two son in laws both in the Military and both in NC right now,one at Lejeune and one at Bragg.Having just retired I am with in a short 5 hour drive to see all the grand kids at both Base's I have really gotten to enjoy it, seeing them all at least once a month.I am the one hurting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues