U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:02 AM

22,852 posts, read 19,269,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I thought Donald Trump was going to fix this?
He said weekend in Harrisburg that things were better in the VA system under his leadership.

Having my doubts about that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 PM

5,760 posts, read 1,213,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He said weekend in Harrisburg that things were better in the VA system under his leadership.

It sure doesn't sound like things are better.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 3,905,982 times
IMHO things have not improved in the VA system at all since he took over.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM

3,471 posts, read 1,017,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
IMHO things have not improved in the VA system at all since he took over.
VA Choice Program just got extended.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM

22,174 posts, read 32,925,275 times

Quote:
What is the Choice Program?

If you are already enrolled in VA health care, the Choice Program allows you to receive health care within your community. Using this program does NOT impact your existing VA health care, or any other VA benefit.

On April 19, 2017, President Trump signed a law that removes the August, 7, 2017, expiration date and allows VA to utilize funding dedicated to the Veterans Choice Program (VCP) until it is exhausted. The VCP is a critical program that increases access to care for Veterans by authorizing millions of appointments for Veterans in the community.

Click here to view a fact sheet about the changes this law made.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 PM

6,965 posts, read 7,008,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
VA Choice Program just got extended.
Actually, they didn't really extend the Choice Program,. they just authorized the use of the unspent funds for the current fiscal year to carry-over to the next fiscal year until it's exhausted. At current rate of spending and using the VA's own 2017 Budget and FY 2018 Advance Appropriation Request, that unspent money will only cover about 4 months of program expenses at current levels.

The VA will still need an appropriation for the new spending year to cover the program's cost for the full year. And with all the campaign promises everyone makes to veterans, the program will be ever so much more expensive. If the new money is not allocated, this new law just changes the sunset date from a fixed date (end of current budget) to a time nobody knows which is whenever the left over savings runs out.

However, it's an almost given that when a new full year budget is passed, and if passed before the current budget expires, the left over amount will just get absorbed back into the federal treasury.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,560,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

He also said he "just came up with a couple of days ago" the term "priming the pump."

He also said he got "the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan."

As I'm sure you know, I could go on for pages about the things Trump has said, just in his very short time as POTUS, that are untrue.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM

5,760 posts, read 1,213,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
He also said he "just came up with a couple of days ago" the term "priming the pump."

He also said he got "the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan."

As I'm sure you know, I could go on for pages about the things Trump has said, just in his very short time as POTUS, that are untrue.

That was the point I was trying to make .Trump used Veterans and the VA as a Political tool to get elected other that I have seen no ,policies ,orders or decrees from him that have made a single improvement in the VA.If I understand what he signed and if I am wrong please correct me but that was an extension until the money runs out and only for people already enrolled.After the funding is gone ,so is the program,correct?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 PM

6,965 posts, read 7,008,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
That was the point I was trying to make .Trump used Veterans and the VA as a Political tool to get elected other that I have seen no ,policies ,orders or decrees from him that have made a single improvement in the VA.If I understand what he signed and if I am wrong please correct me but that was an extension until the money runs out and only for people already enrolled.After the funding is gone ,so is the program,correct?
The Choice Program is funded on paper only until August of 2017. After that date, the program can still exist on paper just there would be no money to pay for any services.

The VA has dramatically improved their ability to provide services and that resulted in a cost savings to the american taxpayers. It's estimated that when August comes around , there will be a surplus of funds that was not spent. Under normal circumstances, Congress would have a new budget in place that provides new funds for the program for another year or so. The surplus money would return to the Treasury or Congress can allocate it for other Veteran programs, or they can use it to give themselves a raise.

If there is no new budget in place come August, what the President said was it's alright to take the surplus money and continue spending it on the program until it finally runs. Of course the expectation is that there will be a new budget in place.

Now to address the issues you raised. Yes, the wording most certainly appears to pay for a very narrow extension which would leave veterans entering the Choice Program after that date, out in the cold. Even those already in the program but have a change of providers or services can also be thrown to the side of the road. Since this law also modifies the payment methods, the VA may be blowing through the available money faster than expected. There was no budget analyse done on this so nobody knows what will really happen. The money could last a full year but since the President decided to add new things to the Choice Program, it most likely will only last four months now. Unfortunately veterans have always been a political football, some of it good, some of it bad, but still a football. This will never change since veterans can fall victims to lip service every so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues