U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM

7,751 posts, read 6,179,597 times

Advertisements

Congress wants answers as disabled vets' caregivers say VA stripping benefits
Congress wants answers as disabled vets' caregivers say VA stripping benefits | Fox News

Is this criminal or ignorance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 PM

8,958 posts, read 2,113,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Congress wants answers as disabled vets' caregivers say VA stripping benefits | Fox News

I thought Donald Trump was going to fix this?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM

624 posts, read 196,649 times
I have a question. When Trump signed an executive order where military people can go to any doctor.
Years ago i was talking to this retired Navy guy and he had free health care for the rest of his life. Wouldn't that mean if tbe VA was gone he would lose his health care?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,172,798 times
Thank you for the article. Concerns for the permenantly disabled should be addressed. With "defense" budgets are seeking more funding for ammunition, or upgraded airplanes,submarines..Perhaps some can be apportioned to the disabled.
It's a nice program for the caregiver..Being family and getting funds to help the injured. Us regular citizens tending to our kin get a meager amount ...

Talk is cheap...So they will have a commitee talk..

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 AM

8,958 posts, read 2,113,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

As far as I am concerned it's both,criminal Ignorance!!!

Old 04-29-2017, 05:35 PM

13,140 posts, read 8,378,355 times
I really do struggle with this, much as a I do paying for any type of kinship care. Once upon a time the assumption was family members took care of family members because they were, you know, family. Additionally, there is 100% disability, where work is no longer realistic but there is still functioning and self-care capability, and 100% disability, where the veteran can not be left alone kind of disabled. They are the same category and the service members get the same benefits, but they are very different situations. The theory of paying kinship care is probably primarily that it is cheaper than putting them in a full care facility and, secondarily, they will do better. My understanding is the VA was once almost automatically granting kinship pay to 100% disabled vets and that now they are trying to back peddle to granting it only in those cases where not providing it will result in hospitalization or other type of institutionalism.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-29-2017, 06:20 PM

23,000 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
VA Announces Internal Review of Caregiver Program

April 17, 2017, 06:07:00 PM

Printable Version: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/incl...DF.cfm?id=2889

WASHINGTON – Today the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that, effective April 17, it has suspended revocations initiated by VA medical centers based on eligibility for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) for three weeks.

“VA is taking immediate action to review the National Caregiver Support Program to ensure we honor our commitment to enhance the health and well-being of Veterans,” said Dr. David J. Shulkin, Secretary of Veterans Affairs. “I have instructed an internal review to evaluate consistency of revocations in the program and standardize communication with Veterans and caregivers nationwide.”
Entire Story Here: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pres...se.cfm?id=2889

Old 04-29-2017, 10:43 PM

282 posts, read 220,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
Years ago i was talking to this retired Navy guy and he had free health care for the rest of his life. Wouldn't that mean if tbe VA was gone he would lose his health care?
Things change. There used to be Tricare Prime (retired military) and you paid a monthly premium and could go to any doctor that would accept Tricare, this covered your family also. After I turned 65 I lost Tricare Prime and went on Medicare part B and Tricare for Life (Medicare primary Tricare secondary). Now I believe Tricare Prime is gone except for those living within a certain distance of a military hospital. I gave up trying to keep up with it so not sure what the situation is now. I'm sure they are looking at how to do away with Tricare for Life

Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 AM

4,300 posts, read 3,193,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
Things change. There used to be Tricare Prime (retired military) and you paid a monthly premium and could go to any doctor that would accept Tricare, this covered your family also. After I turned 65 I lost Tricare Prime and went on Medicare part B and Tricare for Life (Medicare primary Tricare secondary). Now I believe Tricare Prime is gone except for those living within a certain distance of a military hospital. I gave up trying to keep up with it so not sure what the situation is now. I'm sure they are looking at how to do away with Tricare for Life
No, I'm on TriCare Prime. I have a local doctor. It does change. There used to be four regions, now down to two.

Tricare for life is basically a Medicare supplement Part B type thing and you don't have to pay for it. You already paid for Medicare through your SS withholding.

Can others let me know if I got that right?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:14 AM

282 posts, read 220,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No, I'm on TriCare Prime. I have a local doctor. It does change. There used to be four regions, now down to two.

Tricare for life is basically a Medicare supplement Part B type thing and you don't have to pay for it. You already paid for Medicare through your SS withholding.

Can others let me know if I got that right?
Yeah I will...you got it partially wrong.

I think you misread or misunderstood what I wrote and you are only partially right about Tricare Prime
1. I never said you paid for Tricare for Life. I said you paid for Tricare Prime (less than Medicare Part B)
2. No you did not pay for all of Medicare Part B through your FICA taxes. I pay $104.90 a month for Medicare Part B and so does my wife. That makes it $209.80 a month for both of us, well above what I was paying for Tricare Prime.
3. Tricare Prime changed just after I reached 65 (about 10 years ago). Back then you did not have to live within a "Prime Service Area". You were eligible for Tricare Prime anywhere in the U.S. A "Prime Service Area" is an area 40 miles from a military treatment facility or a base closure site. (see: 40 miles for Tricare Prime - or maybe Tricare Standard - Military Guide )
If you live outside of a "Prime Service Area" your options are: ( from: https://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Retiring)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues