U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,383,248 times

Advertisements

I've toured World War II subs, and the lack of privacy would drive me crazy. The sailors were stacked 3 high, most of them in one dormitory-style compartment. Even the officers had 4 to a room. Only the captain had his own space.

It also struck me that a boat with 80 people aboard had only 2 showers and 4 toilets.

What's it like now, on today's larger submarines? Is there any more privacy available? More bathrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 PM

1,265 posts, read 706,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Basic training drilled the sense of humor and sense of adventure out of him. He did not laugh at "24 guys go out in a sub and in 3 months 12 couples return." Also he was not amused by my efforts to convince him to hijack the sub, drive up the st Laurence seaway and give us rides. I explained an army guy in San Diego hijacked a tank and went for a ride up the 405, how is a sub on the St Laurence Seaway any different? All he said was he was not qualified to operate a submarine since he is only an electrician. Come on kid, you can drive a car, how much harder can it be to drive a submarine?

Good humor above.

I think on surface ships there are male/female couples. Not sure, though.

I remember the hijacked tank in the news. IIRC, the perp was loaded on meth and up for days. I remember seeing the tank roll over a car like it was a tin can.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,261,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

I remember the hijacked tank in the news. IIRC, the perp was loaded on meth and up for days. I remember seeing the tank roll over a car like it was a tin can.
I remember it mostly because neither at Fort Knox (at that time) or with a division we did not have cars on the ranges to run over. For the jokes about "crunchies" we really had no first hand experience of just how big an obstacle we could reasonably expect a tank to run over. Training range time being limited we didn't want to spend it busting track if we threw off a thread while stressing the tank. A few crews accidentally ran into Germans and wrecked their cars but that does not translate to giving a driver ram it order.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:50 AM

79 posts, read 36,125 times
Family grams - LOL

Hell we were lucky to have them come through complete. Half-a-gram was more like it

Old 04-28-2017, 10:57 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Does the lack of natural light wear on you?

Other question: the smell: months of recycled air, does it get rank? Or do you not notice it.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM

28,050 posts, read 44,112,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No.

Though I have observed that career submariners may tend to become light sensitive and near-sighted.

Quote:
... Other question: the smell: months of recycled air, does it get rank? Or do you not notice it.
The chemicals used to maintain atmosphere leave a trace in the air. Which seeps into our clothing. We get used to it. All of my uniforms had to stay out in the garage when I got home. Wash them a dozen times and you can never get the amine smell out of them.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 PM

10,444 posts, read 10,314,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I don't think knowing how to swim would benefit a sailor on a submarine much.
It does, because we had swim calls when off the coast of Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Priceless observation!

But I gotta ask the submariners: Is it still a lot of work to get qualified?
I know it use to be because (caution; navy lingo follows) I went to ET"B" school at TI with a bunch of bubbleads in '66. All of them had been through Mare Island and been interrogated by Hymie himself. The stories were great, and every single one of the nukes were great guys.

Back then they made prospective submariners ascend up through a silo like device which simulated escaping from a sub. Anyway, no one got out of boot camp who could not swim.
In 1970 my brother was a civilian support crewmember the DSRV-1 Mystic back when it was operational. No swimming required for that - the DSRV was a rescue vehicle that could attach to a disabled sub and get the+ crew out without them getting wet...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSRV-1_Mystic
A person from boot goes to sub school, and besides the academics, the only physical thing was some simulator thing where you had to go into the water, then go under the water to another place to surface. Real basic, but it does weed out those with serious issues about being in water and a confined space.

The silo thing was not in use when I was going through, I doubt you could even hold a gun to my head and make me do it.

After sub school people go on to their tech schools, then to the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Other question: the smell: months of recycled air, does it get rank? Or do you not notice it.
The lack of natural light never wore on me, cannot speak for others, but I have not ever heard it brought up.

The air is fine, we have scrubbers that clean it, and often we are sticking the snorkel up and ventilating. There is a distinct smell though, but you do not notice it when emerged in it. They put amine into the air to remove the CO2. It turns everything yellow, and it leaves the smell soaked into everything. The way to combat against this is to leave dryer sheets in your civy clothes for the port call, and when back home, dump everything into a bucket with pine-sol which removes the smell as even washing it will still be slightly there.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,522,514 times
After reading about all the fun the sub guys have, I know why I ended up in the Army.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,938,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
After reading about all the fun the sub guys have, I know why I ended up in the Army.
Yeah, but it cuts both ways. I doubt they had to deal with chapping, ticks, or sunburn that often.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 PM

8,962 posts, read 2,121,157 times
I appreciate what all of they and you guys do and did.Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues