U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,009 times

Advertisements

My son just became a US citizen in the Air Force. We are Canadian. Moved here 12 years ago. He's half way through Tech School. I understand from my research that he must renounce his Canadian citizenship. Easier for him to get his clearance, advancement, continuing on after his first 6 years, etc.
He was told he could either fill out forms and send his passport back or just shred it.
How is it possible to just shred it and be done with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,137,251 times
US military accepts just shredding it But Canada doesn't have to know it, so once he finishes his service, he probably would still be Canadian citizen, at least in their books.

I don't know specifically about Canada, but unless you pay to Russia some money ($600 as of last checking) and formally jump through many hoops renouncing your Russian citizenship, you won't lose it that easy.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM

537 posts, read 247,734 times
OP, check on what needs to be done in order for your son to TRULY cancel the membership, so that he has proof he has done so, if asked. As in, check what the process is on the Canadian side. All countries vary in that process and I highly doubt that just shredding one's passport qualifies as a cancellation of citizenship in a country.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM

7,555 posts, read 8,122,721 times
As others have mentioned, if he was BORN in Canada, he can not give up his Canadian Citizen Birth Right without going through a formal process. It's not that hard, just a process whereas Canada wants to make sure you know what you are doing and what it means to you. The issue of returning or shredding the passport is secondary to the application process. Returning or Shredding without having your application approved does not mean you gave up your Canadian Citizenship. All that does is means you are a Canadian Citizen workout a valid passport.

Start here as it's the official information:
Give up (renounce) Canadian citizenship

Old 04-27-2017, 01:18 PM

28,037 posts, read 44,094,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson5 View Post
My son just became a US citizen in the Air Force. We are Canadian. Moved here 12 years ago. He's half way through Tech School. I understand from my research that he must renounce his Canadian citizenship. Easier for him to get his clearance, advancement, continuing on after his first 6 years, etc.
I served with people who carried dual-citizenship.

Is his tech school requiring this?

Is it required for his security clearances?

I would suggest that he wait until after tech school and reports to his first duty station. At that duty station he should talk with his career counselor, and see what his options are then.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Default Hudson5

He doesn't require secret security clearance for his career. The security people he's speaking with told him he had to shred it or file the paperwork to renounce. A dual request is a whole other mountain of paperwork, waiting for it to go up the chain of command for approval or not. The Canadian Consulate told me under no circumstances can he shred it. It belongs to the Government. He has to file for a request to renounce, wait for approval, then he can send it back to them. This too takes several months. He just doesn't want to be stuck in limbo. He has his assignment for when he finishes school. He just doesn't think he'll actually get his orders till this is all finalized.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM

28,037 posts, read 44,094,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson5 View Post
He doesn't require secret security clearance for his career.

I agree.

Quote:
... He has to file for a request to renounce,
I have not heard any explanation for why he 'has to' do this thing.

The military is not making him renounce his native born citizenship.

I am not convinced there is any benefit to renouncing his citizenship.

There are US servicemembers who are dual citizens.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 8,287,687 times
He does not have to give it up. Google "AFI 36-2110" for some info. It can restrict where he can go, but we have provisions to deal with dual citizens. For example, straight from our regulation:
"3.13.3.1. Actions Required. An Airman who is a US citizen and also holds citizenship in
another country (dual citizenship) or an Airman who is not a US citizen, will not be
assigned to the foreign country where citizenship is held unless approval is granted by the
MAJCOM/JA having OS jurisdiction. A request for approval of assignment is required
to allow review of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) and to determine other legal
ramifications (such as, would the foreign government choose to hold the Airman to any
of the obligations mentioned above). NOTE: A request must also be processed when an
Airman is selected for reassignment to a location where an accompanied tour is
authorized and his or her dependents are non-US or dual citizens. Failure to obtain
approval may have serious consequences. The requirement for this review and approval
will not be waived. The request must include the following information and is forwarded
by the Airman’s servicing MPS directly to the AFPC assignment OPR:
"

Why have such a paragraph if we didn't allow dual citizens?

This is more info directly from a verifiable air Force Regulation- AFI 31-501
"5.7.1. Dual Citizenship. Dual citizenship in and of itself is not an automatic disqualifier for
security clearance eligibility. However, possession of dual citizenship and particularly the
exercise of dual citizenship is a condition that raises a security concern and may be a
disqualifying factor in a security clearance eligibility determination. There are factors that
could mitigate the maintenance of dual citizenship, as outlined in DoD 5200.2-R, App I,
Foreign Preference. An individual’s expressed willingness to renounce dual citizenship is one
of the conditions that could mitigate security concerns.
5.7.2. Possession or Use of a Foreign Passport. Possession and/or use of a foreign passport in
preference to a US passport raises doubt as to whether the person’s allegiance to the US is
paramount and could also facilitate foreign travel unverifiable by the US. The security
clearance will be denied or revoked, unless the applicant surrenders the foreign passport or
obtains official approval for its use from SAF/AA. Requests for approval are forwarded
through respective Information Security Program Manager (ISPM) channels to HQ
USAF/XOS-FI for processing to SAF/AA. Justification must include what benefit the AF
will gain from a person holding a foreign passport. AFCAF will annotate approvals in the
remarks field of the JPAS."

So NOT USING his Canadian Passport is important, but he doesn't have to renounce citizenship.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 8,287,687 times
Also from our regulation, AFI 31-501,
"5.7.4. Security Clearance Eligibility. In order for individuals who hold foreign passport and
dual citizenship to be considered for and/or be granted security clearance eligibility the
following must be completed:
5.7.4.1. Provide a written statement expressing their willingness to renounce foreign
citizenship claims in favor of a sole United States citizenship status. Actual
renouncement is not required.
5.7.4.2. Return and or destroy the passport.
5.7.5. The renouncement statement and documentation of destruction of the passport must be
provided to the AFCAF. The AFCAF reviews each case on its own merits to determine
security clearance eligibility."

I'm not sure why he's being told false information.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Hudson5

Thank you so much everyone. You have all been a great help. Now he can truly make an informed decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues