U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 AM

8,412 posts, read 12,860,340 times

Advertisements

If you are simply asking if the military can postpone leave, yes, they can. The base public affairs might have more information for you.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM

260 posts, read 75,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
He was suppose to come home on annual leave early May, and just informed us all leaves have been put on hold (but not cancelled). He had no further (or was perhaps unable to) information on this. Of course our concern is what is happening in Korea (he is Pacific command).

Anyone else heard of this move to postpone leaves? His ticket was booked and paid for, does anyone know if the military will reimburse or if the airlines do?
Leaves can be placed on hold or cancelled, according to the needs of that command.

Considering the Norks' actions of the last few weeks, and their habit of doing something militarily on each of their holidays, it's not surprising that PACOM might up its readiness level right now. Even Japan has begun planning for Japanese citizen non-combatant evacuations from the Korean peninsula, which is how seriously folks are looking at Nork activities.

Pay no attention to anyone who is not in PACOM. What's going on there is not automatically reflected in any other command, so of course leaves are not affected in San Antonio or Fort Bragg, etc.

Pay even less attention to any of us old geezers who reminisce about "back when I was in (fill in location)" -- our memories have zip to do with what's going on in PACOM today.

North Korea's next holiday is 1 May. After that, its next holiday isn't until 27 July. Just based upon that, I would suspect the leave situation should be resolved by 2 or 3 May, one way or another.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 AM

5,068 posts, read 1,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
No way any airline would be dumb enough to no accommodate anyone in the military in a case like this. The publicity could be devastating at least for the short term.
I totally agree; however, some of the airlines out there have gone crazy lately!!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 AM

3,975 posts, read 2,773,400 times
Quote:
Perhaps your nice story is true, however, he was very much wanting to be with his girlfriend on leave. I'm sure you doubt that.
Didn't see this post - but hey - young people tend to find the grass is greener once they leave the home pasture.

Happened to my niece, but we were thrilled he found someone else once he went to his first duty station. She was too young and he was a jerk.

Not that your step son is a jerk, but just be prepared for some tears.

I was active duty for over 20 years, so have seen/heard all kinds of scenarios.

But at the same time, we were also put on leave hold when Quadaffi did something - boy that was a century ago. Might not even be remembering that correctly. LOL

Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM

157 posts, read 65,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My apologies if I offend someone..........but should this be on social media?

You aren't the only one thinking that. I don't know how long the OP's son has been in, but having leave cancelled or put on hold really shouldn't come as a surprise. Also, having a discussion on social media about why it's been put on hold is inappropriate.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:40 AM

22,321 posts, read 33,203,934 times
Quote:
He was suppose to come home on annual leave early May, and just informed us all leaves have been put on hold (but not cancelled). He had no further (or was perhaps unable to) information on this. Of course our concern is what is happening in Korea (he is Pacific command).
Here is the U.S. Pacific Command website: United States Pacific Command (USPACOM)

They have a news page on that main page.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM

9,195 posts, read 7,449,185 times
Welcome to the military! Where the only thing that is guaranteed is change.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 PM

4,450 posts, read 4,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
With the threat of North Korea I believe it is legit.

However..........back in the 60's there was a sailor in our squadron at Moffett Field California who kept telling his mom in Tyler Texas that he could not get leave to come home to visit ( Vietnam War)

He was shacking up with a woman off base in Mountain View and wanted to use his spare time with her.

She wrote a letter to our Squadron CO and the squadron CO was furious at the sailor.
He ordered him to take 30 day leave and go home............"or else"

He did so.

About 10 days into his leave the CO called his mother in Tyler TX and found out she knew nothing about his leave and he never came home.

At the end of 30 days he returned, got written up, and went to Captains Mast for putting a false address on leave papers.
Liberty card taken away for 30 days and extra duty assigned.
No lady friend for 30 days.

"they won't give us leave"........is the oldest excuse sailors used to families back home when they were having too much fun living with a woman off base.
LOL that is pretty funny.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:53 PM

6,939 posts, read 5,672,476 times
Your son's military unit, may be standing by in quick deployment status, to go to Pacific if things accelerate. They brass do not know at this point, if they are going to be sent, or not sent. In the case of your step son, they want the whole unit ready to move with just hours notice if they are needed, and they do hold up leaves at that point. They are often restricted to base, at that period of time so they can move quickly. On the base he is on, there may be several military units, and only one or two put on stand by for quick deployment if needed. The rest would be operating under normal conditions.

If they are not needed, they issue a stand down on their deployment status and they can again go on leave.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 6,762,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
No way any airline would be dumb enough to not accommodate anyone in the military in a case like this. The publicity could be devastating at least for the short term.
As dumb as the airlines have been acting lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.