U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 PM

472 posts, read 167,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
As dumb as the airlines have been acting lately?
Yes... They have contracts with the military and they don't want to upset the government

Old 04-30-2017, 06:07 PM

504 posts, read 142,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
You aren't the only one thinking that. I don't know how long the OP's son has been in, but having leave cancelled or put on hold really shouldn't come as a surprise. Also, having a discussion on social media about why it's been put on hold is inappropriate.
He's been in just over a year. And why is it inappropriate to ask about a situation that none of us in the family are familiar with? It's not like we discussed which unit or even branch of military he is in, just that it is PACOM. I think I left in generic enough that sensitive souls wouldn't get offended, but apparently I was wrong.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:08 PM

7,257 posts, read 6,081,128 times
They also have the U.S. government and laws behind the service man/woman under this type of circumstances, and they will cancel and refund their money.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM

4,615 posts, read 5,142,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
He's been in just over a year. And why is it inappropriate to ask about a situation that none of us in the family are familiar with? It's not like we discussed which unit or even branch of military he is in, just that it is PACOM. I think I left in generic enough that sensitive souls wouldn't get offended, but apparently I was wrong.
It isn't that sensitive souls might be offended. I think the poster was referring to 'Operational Security ' and that the NK only needs to know what we want them to know.

But it is understandable that someone unfamiliar with the military would want to know what is going on. Just have faith that your stepson will get home when he can.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM

504 posts, read 142,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
It isn't that sensitive souls might be offended. I think the poster was referring to 'Operational Security ' and that the NK only needs to know what we want them to know.

But it is understandable that someone unfamiliar with the military would want to know what is going on. Just have faith that your stepson will get home when he can.
Good grief, we have a sub, deployed THAADs and have a aircraft battle group that we have broadcast far and wide, and asking a question about leave of a unified command is OPSEC? Please, in what alternative universe does that reveal anything at all?

Thanks for the comment though.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:05 AM

4,615 posts, read 5,142,068 times
Good grief, we want them to know that we are deploying THAADs, naval forces. Sending signals of our choosing

Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 AM

10,269 posts, read 10,102,919 times
Leave gets delayed/canceled for all kinds of reasons, nothing uncommon, unusual, or secretive about it.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM

8,422 posts, read 1,875,299 times
Quote:
Good grief, we have a sub, deployed THAADs and have a aircraft battle group that we have broadcast far and wide, and asking a question about leave of a unified command is OPSEC? Please, in what alternative universe does that reveal anything at all?

The longer your son is in the service the more you will understand that things we take for granted ,just are not accepted in the Military and for good reason.My son inlaws were very good at accepting my military ignorance about things...my own daughters(their wives) not as much.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM

256 posts, read 603,751 times
Quote:

In the Air Force it is what we used to call Essential Elements of Friendly Information (EEFIs). It's not called the same thing today, but it is still part of OPSEC training. It means that many unseemingly harmless bits of information can be put together by the enemy to build a "bigger picture" of what the military is doing. Cancelled leaves is one example that was provided in the last OPSEC training briefing that I attended.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM

1,944 posts, read 3,829,455 times
Quote:
He was suppose to come home on annual leave early May, and just informed us all leaves have been put on hold (but not cancelled). He had no further (or was perhaps unable to) information on this. Of course our concern is what is happening in Korea (he is Pacific command).

Anyone else heard of this move to postpone leaves? His ticket was booked and paid for, does anyone know if the military will reimburse or if the airlines do?
Here's the crazy part about the military. They will can at any point in time, for any reason suspend leaves, cancel leaves etc. It may not be for what is currently going on it could be that someone screwed up and the whole unit is feeling the after effects.

I can guarantee you that if something goes down in Korea, they would be sending military families out of S. Korea for their safety. Just like if something was going to go down with Japan, then they would not be families over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues