Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:32 PM

504 posts, read 299,958 times

Advertisements

He was suppose to come home on annual leave early May, and just informed us all leaves have been put on hold (but not cancelled). He had no further (or was perhaps unable to) information on this. Of course our concern is what is happening in Korea (he is Pacific command).

Anyone else heard of this move to postpone leaves? His ticket was booked and paid for, does anyone know if the military will reimburse or if the airlines do?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:06 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
He needs to call the airline, as any monetary relief will come from them, not the military. Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief cover their right to a refund in some cases, there are multiple factors involved. Last go around my husband went through people who had no refund tickets were given vouchers to use later by the airlines - that was a goodwill gesture from the airline in that incidence, not a right. Had the airlines not been voluntarily willing to accomadate them they would have just been out of luck If your stepson has questions he needs to see his local JAG, they will know what a applies and what doesn't.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Could be his specific unit, but I'm Active Duty and can take leave if I want.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Could be his specific unit, but I'm Active Duty and can take leave if I want.
Are you Pacific Command?

Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
He was suppose to come home on annual leave early May, and just informed us all leaves have been put on hold (but not cancelled). He had no further (or was perhaps unable to) information on this. Of course our concern is what is happening in Korea (he is Pacific command).

Anyone else heard of this move to postpone leaves? His ticket was booked and paid for, does anyone know if the military will reimburse or if the airlines do?
OP it happens. for lots of reasons not necessarily for bad reasons. but certainly there is a reason. I put my whole company on quarantine until they stopped doing their unfortunate behavior, must have been a full moon or something. But there are reasons to cancel leave and it may not be related to the NK mess. Or it may.

Suggest he get with airlines and evoke privileges given to military to cancel. Just be strong for his sake and let it unfold. You will know more when the time is right.

Good luck, I know it is disappointing.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
No way any airline would be dumb enough to no accommodate anyone in the military in a case like this. The publicity could be devastating at least for the short term.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
With the threat of North Korea I believe it is legit.

However..........back in the 60's there was a sailor in our squadron at Moffett Field California who kept telling his mom in Tyler Texas that he could not get leave to come home to visit ( Vietnam War)

He was shacking up with a woman off base in Mountain View and wanted to use his spare time with her.

She wrote a letter to our Squadron CO and the squadron CO was furious at the sailor.
He ordered him to take 30 day leave and go home............"or else"

He did so.

About 10 days into his leave the CO called his mother in Tyler TX and found out she knew nothing about his leave and he never came home.

At the end of 30 days he returned, got written up, and went to Captains Mast for putting a false address on leave papers.
Liberty card taken away for 30 days and extra duty assigned.
No lady friend for 30 days.

"they won't give us leave"........is the oldest excuse sailors used to families back home when they were having too much fun living with a woman off base.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Right now ,4/30/2017 both son-in laws(Staff Sergeants) can take leave.One in Army Ft. Bragg other in Marines at Lejeune.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
With the threat of North Korea I believe it is legit.

However..........back in the 60's there was a sailor in our squadron at Moffett Field California who kept telling his mom in Tyler Texas that he could not get leave to come home to visit ( Vietnam War)

He was shacking up with a woman off base in Mountain View and wanted to use his spare time with her.

She wrote a letter to our Squadron CO and the squadron CO was furious at the sailor.
He ordered him to take 30 day leave and go home............"or else"

He did so.

About 10 days into his leave the CO called his mother in Tyler TX and found out she knew nothing about his leave and he never came home.

At the end of 30 days he returned, got written up, and went to Captains Mast for putting a false address on leave papers.
Liberty card taken away for 30 days and extra duty assigned.
No lady friend for 30 days.

"they won't give us leave"........is the oldest excuse sailors used to families back home when they were having too much fun living with a woman off base.
Perhaps your nice story is true, however, he was very much wanting to be with his girlfriend on leave. I'm sure you doubt that.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Right now ,4/30/2017 both son-in laws(Staff Sergeants) can take leave.One in Army Ft. Bragg other in Marines at Lejeune.
Central Command or Pacific? Step son is in the Pacific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues