Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 4,298 times

Advertisements

I was recently handed a DEP Discharge (Definite) paper that was sent to the Commanding Officer of my district. I was arrested as a 15 year old for what I thought was trespassing at the time of enlistment. After my security clearance check it came back as bulglary and conspiracy to commit a crime because I went inside a school with a friend. I didnt take anything or break anything, we just did it for no particular reason. I was never charged or even went to court. I received informal probation and community service. The DA said I should be able to join and a retired company commander said I just need to get it sealed, which I am.

My recruiter seems to have given up on my case and told me Big Navy doesnt want to deal with it even though I came clean about everything at the time of enlisting, I just didnt know they cited me for 2 felonies because I was never charged or had a record. I know I can get a CNRC waiver but my recruiter cut me off from trying to help me out. Should I call the Company Commander and tell him my situation after I get my arrest sealed? I really want the do this and dont want to give up over a mistake I made when I was 15, 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,215,968 times
If you received informal probation and community service you were most certainly charged.

It will be next to impossible to get in with a felony burglary charge that was adjudicated.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If you received informal probation and community service you were most certainly charged.

It will be next to impossible to get in with a felony burglary charge that was adjudicated.
I just went to the DA and he said I was not charged for anything? He told me it was a deal with Probation.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,215,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallnstupid View Post
I just went to the DA and he said I was not charged for anything? He told me it was a deal with Probation.
You had to have been charged with something or you would not have had probation and community service. They can't award you those things unless there are charges against you.

More than likely it was a deferment deal where you plead guilty, accept punishment, and in return for you doing your part they remove the charges. In the Navy's eyes it is the same thing as being found guilty of the charges. It was adjudicated so you have to proceed with whatever the original charge was.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Is it possible you're confusing "charged" with "convicted?"

Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM

532 posts, read 445,441 times
Maybe also try a different recruiter, different town or city, maybe they will need to meet a quota and be willing to help with a waiver.
And/or try a different service branch? Army may need more recruits this year than the Navy?
By all means continue to be up front with any application process and your history.
Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Is it possible you're confusing "charged" with "convicted?"
Possibly, I am tall and stupid. I just know I was arrested but never went to court.
Edit: I was never charged or convicted.

Last edited by Tallnstupid; 05-03-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You had to have been charged with something or you would not have had probation and community service. They can't award you those things unless there are charges against you.

More than likely it was a deferment deal where you plead guilty, accept punishment, and in return for you doing your part they remove the charges. In the Navy's eyes it is the same thing as being found guilty of the charges. It was adjudicated so you have to proceed with whatever the original charge was.
Okay that makes perfect sense. If I was to get it sealed would it help my case? They would still see it of course, but could it show that it wasnt a serious charge?

It just seems so weird that this is being handled as just black and white. Obviously I have good moral standing if I was upfront and never got into any trouble in the past 5 years sense then.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Try another recruiter, or if all else fails, try looking at another branch of service. And be upfront about your past if you do so.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Try another recruiter, or if all else fails, try looking at another branch of service. And be upfront about your past if you do so.
A recruiter in a different town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues