U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 404 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your response . He wasn't diagnosed with the Add . I understand some of it but he did graduate with a 3.25 GPA with no meds . He has had a job althrough high school and still has that job and started another one . He graduated the highest ranking ROTC cadet in he's class . And isn't a troubled kid . His anxiety is like all of ours when we are nervous. He melted into society very well but has a passion to serve his country . The ODD is written once on his records and I'm wordering why the doctor wrote it when it was adhd we were addressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 AM

25,580 posts, read 13,904,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyd32 View Post
Thank you for your response . He wasn't diagnosed with the Add . I understand some of it but he did graduate with a 3.25 GPA with no meds . He has had a job althrough high school and still has that job and started another one . He graduated the highest ranking ROTC cadet in he's class . And isn't a troubled kid . His anxiety is like all of ours when we are nervous. He melted into society very well but has a passion to serve his country . The ODD is written once on his records and I'm wordering why the doctor wrote it when it was adhd we were addressing.
I would go back to the doctor and ask the doctor to explain the diagnosis.

This said, according to this article,

Some experts suggest that ODD may be tied to ADHD-related impulsivity. “Many kids with ADHD who are diagnosed with ODD are showing oppositional characteristics by default,” says Houston-based child psychologist Carol Brady, Ph.D. “They misbehave not because they’re intentionally oppositional, but because they can’t control their impulses.”

https://www.additudemag.com/oppositi...iant-disorder/

I know this for a fact, Over a third of children with ADHD have a second psychiatric diagnosis, and one of the most common diagnoses to be found with ADHD is oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).

In term of joining the military, I don't think ADHD by itself would disqualify a person from the military, however, it places significant restrictions on being able to enlist. Having ADHD may also restrict the individual from certain duties or positions (this is determined on a case by case basis).

Here is the link.
http://www.chadd.org/Understanding-A...-Military.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues