U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times

Advertisements

Not going to read all the posts as they are so out dated but I will give my basic recollection of the time I spent back in 1951....and that was during the occupation so things were vastly different then.

First thing was (no specific order) counting the money, how much is this, thank you, your welcome, good morning/good afternoon/good evening, where is the Bathroom, come here, when to bow, NO shaking hands (those days past), plus some other things I have to stop and remember...has been a while for me.

Still remember how to say all of the above even after all these years.

As for Mt Fuji, I was stationed (Camp McNair, tent City) on the East side slope near Lake Yamanaka and Yoshida was close by also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

29 posts, read 92,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswift View Post
Did you ever get a job in Yokosuka. I am a nurse and in NEED of info! Help is you can
You shouldn't have a problem getting a job. Look up Naval Hospital Yokosuka for job openings.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times
Never stationed in mainland Japan so can not answer questions about Yokosuka, but lived in Japan for 14 yrs and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! Such a wonderful place to be stationed, and so much travel to take advantage of. Enjoy for both of us!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,069 times
Default ARRIVING AT NARITA GOING TO YOKOSUKA BY BUS or TRAIN

Arriving at Narita International Airport.

Heading to Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY)

Note: Money Exchanges are located throughout the arrival terminal.

BUS SERVICE TO YOKOSUKA: ACTIVE DUTY/RESERVIST/RETIREES ONLY:
Those traveling on official orders have priority and all other are on a space available status only. There is a CFAY Narita bus for return from Narita International Airport to Yokosuka.

Buses depart at: 1500 1645 - 1830 and 2100 from Terminal # 1. Sign up is located at the Military Liaison Counter in terminal 1.

TRAINS TO YOKOSUKA There is a number of ways to travel to Yokosuka by rail
Here are the two easiest route to travel:

In either case, stop off at the information counter in the terminal after you have cleared customs to get the time(s) of the next train departing from Narita Airport.

If going via the Keisei Line Ask when the next train for Aoto (A O Toe) is scheduled to depart:
If going via the JR Line Ask when the next train for Yokosuka is schedule to depart.

Once you have the schedules from the information counter in the arrival lobby, take the escalator to the basement level B1 where you will see the signs directing you to JR Narita Airport Station. Follow the bilingual signs and look for the ticket machines. There are two types of tickets Keisei Line tickets or JR Line tickets:

Ticket purchases: Once you choose what line you want to take go to the ticket machine and purchase a ticket in Japanese Yen -

KAESEI LINE: If you travel by the Keisei Line purchase a Y1980 ticket Follow the signs directing you to the Keisei Lines:

Boarding the train, relax as you have approximately a one hour trip to Aoto Station. (Note as you are about to enter a station there is a sign in English that lets you know you are approaching the station.) Upon arrival at Aoto Station, exit the train and walk across the platform to await for the next train. Looking up at the overhead electronic sign, look for the Keikyu line train bound for Misaki Guchi or Misaki Station It is usually the 2nd or 3rd train on the list depending the time of day. The Keikyu Line train is a Red and Tan colored train. Board the train and again relax. This train will take you a number of stops. Larger number of people will board at Shinjuku, Kawasaki, Yokohama, stations but you are to just stay on the train. When the train arrives at Oppama Station, you need to start preparing to watch for Yokosuka Chuo Station. In about 10 minutes from Oppama Station get off the train at YOKOSUKA CHUO STATION
JR YOKOSUKA LINE Trains are silver with a blue and cream colored stripe.

Once again following the signs directing you to the basement level/B1 There will be a green and white bilingual sign note JR Line. Go to the ticket machine and purchase a Y2520 ticket at one of the machines. Check the bilingual electric departure time sign near the gate for the next JR departure to either Tokyo, Zushi, Yokosuka or Kurihama Stations. (Note: Kurihama is the next and final station on the line after Yokosuka. While all of the trips will get you to Yokosuka, you really desire to be on the train specifically destined for Yokosuka. Since you are boarding at the start of the run, you should be able to get a seat. Note that some of the cars are reserved and require a reserved ticket but reserved tickets cost additional money. Once on the Yokosuka Line train, you stay on until you reach Yokosuka JR Station.

In both cases above, when exiting the station, place your ticket in the wicket and pass thru.

If you have purchased a cheaper ticket the go to the yellow fare adjustment machine and insert your ticket, press English and the amount due (If any) appears on the screen. Enter that amount. Note: Over-payments are not refunded.

Upon exit from the station - you can take a taxi to your hotel or the base. The taxi fare start at Y660.

Both stations are close to the base (5 10 minutes walking distance Yokosuka Chuo brings you to the heart of the business district and Yokosuka JR is right on the water.

Yokosuka Chuo is closer to the Central and New Yokosuka Hotels whereas the JR Station is closer to the Prince Hotel.

On the JR line there is a Narita Express train that heads to Tokyo but ultimately you will have wait for the Yokosuka train anyway so avoid.

I PERSONALLY LIKE THE KEISEI TRAIN BECAUSE I LIVE BEYOND YOKOSUKA CHUO STATION AND IT IS MORE CONVENIENT FOR ME RATHER THAN THE JR LINE The fare is cheaper on the Keisei/Keikyu line but you do have to change trains.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNera View Post
Hello all,
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Yokosuka, Japan for his next assignment. Is anyone a RN out there? Do you know how I would go about getting a nursing position at the medical facility on base? I work at a civilian hospital now and I've never worked in a navy hospital so I don't know who to contact, licensing, requirements, etc. Also how long is the wait for housing? He's E-6 and we have 1 baby and a dog. Any information would be great, thanks!
Hi, I'm also an RN and was wondering if you were ever able to find a job there in Yokosuka? I tried USA jobs but no positions are opened . Any other info you can provide is appreciated, thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues