U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 28,993 times

Advertisements

(1)Is it better to live on base or off?

To live on base,it may take a while ( like a couple mos to 1 year average)
before your name shows on the top of waiting list.
It depends on the type of housing ( duplex type town house or hi-rise )
and how many ppl are waiting, but may be able to move in soon.
It's easier for you living on base to go to commissary, post office,
and all kinds of offices you need, however when something happened,
(Japanese protests walk, typhoon, and some other reason ) you cannot
get out of the base, base will be closed.
And there are a whole bunch of rules on base.
A lot of ppl lives off base, of course there are many rules in Japanese
community too, but they really have tremendous experiences.
Ppl in Yokosuka (or so) has been working very hard on recycling by
separating trash and garbages, you may get coufused at first, but I really
enjoyed it saving our planet!
(In the other hand, I was soooo shocked US does not separate trash
and garbage... Sorry)
Living off base is the BEST WAY to communicate with Japanese ppl!
Many American friends of mine loved it!

(2)Is there any way I can get a job out there that is english speaking?

Of course,YES.
You can find a job on base.
You can also teach English to Japanese ppl.

(3)Is it good to have a baby out there since I just found out that
I'm pregnant?

Congratulations! (^o^*)/"

I had my 3rd baby boy at Naval Hospital Yokosuka.
( I have 3 boys...oh boy !! )
Doctors,nurses and other staff were sooooo nice and kind!
The building is kinda old, but you will difinately be satisfied(hope those
staff are still there. lol) .
Please take great care of yourself and have a healthy baby!

(4)Should we bring our cars out there?

If I were you, I wouldn't.
Vihicle Tax is different than Japanese cars, and roads are more narrow
than in US.
When you get to Japan, you will see how close you are to the next car,
so big American cars are not apropreate size to Japan, I think.
Plus it is very hard for you to drive on and off base 'cause Japanese
traffic is totally opposit, it's Left-hand traffic.
You have to get out of the car at McDonald's Drive Thru. LOL

You can find a very nice used-car with a reasonal price!
(Some ppl price it sooo HIGH, please check out at parking lot behind
Commissary, and notices on the wall when you stay at Navy Lodge for
nights.)

(5)What should be left at home and what can we get out there as in stuff for our house?

Since Japan is a tiny island ( and many populations ), most of the houses
are way smaller than American houses.
(Don't worry, they have American size Japanese houses ready for you)
So I recommand you not to bring a CALIFORNIA KING SIZE bed or real big
sofas.(regular size will get through the door and fit in a house though)
On base, you can use American and Japanese erectric appliances, but off
base. You may need to find some transformers (to switch the voltages,
and because of a form=shape of plug---one side is big and another one
is small, this type of plug won't fit in japanese outlet)

Did my answers help you?
Hope you visit a lot of places and enjoy Japan!!
Oh, couple more things... Japanese foods are AWSOME !!
Please don't be afraid trying new things, you will love 'em!"
Most Japanese ppl does NOT speak English.
But a lot of things are written in English, so don't worry!
But please try to learn easy words, ARIGATO(which is Thank you)
KON-NICHI-WA(hello)SAYONARA(Good bye) etc..
(As for me, I don't speak and write good English still. Sigh... But when I first
met my husband, I hardly could speak English, a dictionary was necessary for
me to speak English, LOL!)
Enjoy Japan and GOOD LUCK !!

Former KHEFSG Japanese Liaison, Ika-chan
( Now in Oklahoma )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 105,912 times
Default ilovemysailor22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysailor22 View Post
my husband is in the navy and just left on the 7th to make his way to japan and im moving over there on august 15th!!!what ships are yuor husbands on???the uss george washington??

YEPPP!!! USS GEORGE WASHINGTON!!!!! Not sure when im headed over though.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 14,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysailor22 View Post
my husband is in the navy and just left on the 7th to make his way to japan and im moving over there on august 15th!!!what ships are yuor husbands on???the uss george washington??
Hi my husband is on the washington too! Im planning on being there August 1st! Are yall planning on living on base?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM

15,692 posts, read 34,684,028 times
I can't say much from a Navy perspective.

I'm a civilian American who lives elsewhere in Japan, but I have visited Yokosuka, and really LIKE that area a lot. All of Japan is real good though. Yokosuka is no exception.

Quite a difference from the U.S. military base areas in South Korea.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Til

1 posts, read 14,392 times
Default Japan services

Hi, guys.

It was interesting reading this thread. I've been in Japan a year, and although I'm simply a civilian, I would think that living off base would provide a more rewarding experience than living on base. But this depends on what kind of experience you want. If you want to have more convenience and don't have time to invest to understand the culture, and want to conduct your day-to-day (e.g. post office, banking, news, errands, shopping, etc.) all in English, then the base has its advantages.

But aren't military personnel able to access the base's services EVEN if living off base? If so, there's no real disadvantage living off base except language convenience. And that depends on how well you deal with that as an individual. If you're the type to get frustrated by language barriers, then maybe live on base until you get your bearings for a year (especially with the baby) and then move off base after having explored a few areas and seeing a few flats on free weekends.

If you live on base, too, you probably don't get off base that much either living on base, and your friends will likely be other on-base living American military families and personnel. So it depends on what kind of living-overseas experience you'd like to have. You can get everything off base that you can get on base (I've heard) except things like Cheerios and other sugary common US foods! Lol.

Just an update: Japan's telecom/internet services are first-rate. Check this link for an over-the-top (albeit, messy) presentation of different types of services available and there average prices. [url=http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~PF2K-WLKN/inetjfaq.html]ISP Japan FAQ : ISDN, ADSL, FTTH, CATV Cable, VoIP & Mobile Phones ©2000-8 by Keith Wilkinson[/url] You'll see that off base, you can certainly get an IDSN phone. Now, optical fiber connections are widely available (100MB/sec) for only $40-$50/month and that includes your phone service because optical fiber is much faster than IDSN. Also, BRAND NEW condos are going up almost weekly in the Yokohama and Tokyo areas. If you get an apartment in a brand new condo building, it might be a little smaller than your average Kansas suburban home, but it will be on par with apartments in New York City, San Fran, or London (like most big international world cities). My building is brand new, 1100 sq. ft, has optical fiber, 3 elevators, parking, air-con/heating, bay windows, floor-to-ceiling windows glass, large terrace and views, hardwood floors and is centrally located. It is a comparable rent (i.e. approx $3,000 per month, and I share with another professional) to any other major world metro area (again, London, New York). In Yokosuka or near Yokohama, rents are LESS EXPENSIVE, so you can find something for less. Of course, again, I'm sure rent on the base is VERY CHEAP comparatively and a wise economic consideration, and if you want to try to find places of similar rent (i.e. under $1,500 per month), you will likely end up in an older building with no insulation, non-modern appliances and other less comfortable features mentioned by others, because $1,000 per month will only get you a studio or one-bedroom in a new, modern building. Again, the base is not in central Tokyo, so there are many more housing options (and actual houses!) available.

As far as cable is concerned, SKYPERFECT and many cable operators exist in and around Tokyo. SKYPERFECT is a satellite outfit like DirecTV. They don't make much money because they give you a choice: they let you pick which channels you want to watch (unlike the US cable/satellite companies which sell "basic" packages of 50-60 channels and then an assortment of premium channels on top of that at pricey rates). You can pick any 15 channels you want for $25/month. There is another service that specializes in English channels for English-speaking residents. When I find it, I'll post it.

Good luck with the move. My biggest "gripe" about moving here is the medical/health situation. Vitamins, other supplements (melatonin, echinacea, gingko biloba, etc.) are very expensive here. Also, the discounts on skin creams, lotions and other things that we can save on a lot by buying online in the states are not available here. So, with these things, I'd try to bring them over (remember liquids must get packed!). And I buy my books online through Amazon.

I hope this helps also a little, and good luck with the baby! I hope you enjoy Japan.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 29,970 times
Default Civilian moving to Japan

Hello everyone, I am glad I came across this forum. People are friendly and helpfull.
I am a civilian contractor who will be working in Japan from June / July time frame. Company gives about $2500 per month for house allowance. Just wondering if this will be enough? Which areas should I be looking for rentals.
Any help is appreciated.
MH

Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 AM

72 posts, read 408,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Hi, I just recently transferred to Atsugi, Japan as a married man so I can answer your questions:

Is it better to live on base or off? Since you're married, on base. They have American style housing on base for married couples, and it has heating and A/C which you will need for the Japanese climate

Is there any way I can get a job out there that is english speaking? Like the Atsugi base, there should be many openings for civilians. MWR will be my best bet.

Is it good to have a baby out there since I just found out that I'm pregnant? Yes, plenty of couples have babies and children there

Should we bring our cars out there? No, the cost of shipping cars are expensive (about $15-16K per vehicle, about the price of a new car). You can find good deals on cars on base, since many military people transfer out and need to sell their cars

What should be left at home and what can we get out there as in stuff for our house? The apartments are pretty small so I wouldn't bring too much furniture. We sold most of ours except our bed, a chair, coffee table, and entertainment center and TV.

Hope that helps. Good luck in Japan and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
yup, i totally agree with this.

my japanese friend brought his car over to japan (he lived in the US for 6 years & loved his car, so he took it with him).. he said it was almost too big for the roads & the radio didn't work properly, cause of different frequencies. lol so i wouldn't bring my car!

also, japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world & their biggest crime is pick-pocketing... so your baby will be safe (and congratulations on your pregnancy!)

enjoy japan! and be sure to stuff your face with lots of japanese yummies for me!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 28,993 times
#11 IKA-chan is back again!

I forgot writing about this @#11.
You better not bring expensive cristals or glass ornaments to Japan.
Why? Because Japan is one of the earthquake countries.
Having big earthquakes are very rare, however we do have small~medium ones a lot through the year.
You don't need to be scared at all though.
As for me, I am Japanese, so I'm used to it, LOL.
NEVER decorate expensive glass ornaments or cristals while in Japan.
NEVER put breakable things on higher shelves.

Enjoy JAPAN \(^_^*)/"

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 105,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNavyWife View Post
Hi my husband is on the washington too! Im planning on being there August 1st! Are yall planning on living on base?

Yeah we are. What about yall? My husband said something about me leaving July 15th!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 14,286 times
iam also in the same boat and those were all the questions i had as well so thanks for all the answers...oh yea whats a "washlet"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues