U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 14,819 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I could really use some help!
My husband may be getting orders for Atsugi, and I know nothing about the area and no one there. I am 9 weeks pregnant and may be 7 or 8 months pregnant by the time we get orders. Can I still go or do I have to wait until the baby is born and why? I noticed someone else said that. And please don't tell me that you can't fly in your 3rd trimester, because that is not true. It would have to be more a different reason, but I am scared about that. I am also wondering about COLA. I have heard that, if you live off base, you receive COLA, but you don't get it if you live on base. Is that true? Is there a school on base and is it easy to get into and English speaking? My oldest will start pre-k next fall. We are planning on not taking a car with us, because we heard it is cheap to buy one over there. We may end up taking one, though because the military will pay for it to be taken and I'm not sure how we would get around until we did find a car. I suppose there are rental car places at the airport? And that doesn't make sense either because it's not like our car would be at the airport when we arrive. How long would it take to get there? Ok, and one last question (for now), how long does it take to get your belongings? I am worried that we won't have everything before the birth and, even if we did, it would be too late to set up the nursery or get my children comfortable before their sibling arrives. Oh so much to think and worry about!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 14,776 times
Wink a little help

Hello. My husband, 2 year old, and I are leaving for Yokosuka on November 3 for a 3 year stay. Do not take your car!!! Yes, the navy will pay to SHIP your car, however... our american cars are not "street legal" to drive over there. so, and we looked in to it, you are required to change over your cars entire system. The Navy does not pay for that. Your headlights, your exhaust, your steering... they drive on the other side of the road there. The cost to you, to turn your car over, so that it can be driven, is extremely costly. As much as a new car almost. Also, unless you are on base, parking is hard to come by. Most everyone takes the public transportation. You still get COLA for base housing, in fact, you get a utilities allowance, monthly. You may also have to get rid of a lot of your belongings before you leave. You are only allowed so many pounds of house hold goods, that will be determined by your husbands rank. Our furniture and belongings are already on their way over there. They take 60-90 days to reach Japan, depending on how many pounds you are sending. So, you will obviously be with out your things for some time once you arrive there. You will be housed in the Navy Lodge for 30-60 days until you are placed in housing, either on base or off. The Navy will loan you house hold goods until yours arrive. It is stressful, and exciting, the whole process. The biggest worries you should have, is getting your family's over seas screenings done. Everyone in the family will have to get vaccines, be seen by Navy Dental, and doctors. It is a long process and very frustrating. But start early!!! They made me get my wisdom teeth pulled and get 5 fillings, just because there could be "potential" problems with those teeth. what ever that means. Don't worry. everything will be explained to you and the Navy is very helpful. I wish you luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 65,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catedm View Post
....Could you explain just what the "traveler check premium" at Bank of Yokohama is? Do we need to have an account there? We have a Navy Fed CU acct already. Thanks for your help!
All this means is that the Bank of Yokohama which is walking distance from the base pays a better exchange rate for travelers checks than they do for cash. If you're exchanging substantial amounts of money (like I do every month for rent, utilities, and spending money), then it pays to change your money to travelers checks at Navy Fed (I also bank there). It's not a big difference, but it adds up

Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3navybabies View Post
Hi all, I could really use some help!
My husband may be getting orders for Atsugi, and I know nothing about the area and no one there. I am 9 weeks pregnant and may be 7 or 8 months pregnant by the time we get orders. Can I still go or do I have to wait until the baby is born and why? I noticed someone else said that. And please don't tell me that you can't fly in your 3rd trimester, because that is not true. It would have to be more a different reason, but I am scared about that. I am also wondering about COLA. I have heard that, if you live off base, you receive COLA, but you don't get it if you live on base. Is that true? Is there a school on base and is it easy to get into and English speaking? My oldest will start pre-k next fall. We are planning on not taking a car with us, because we heard it is cheap to buy one over there. We may end up taking one, though because the military will pay for it to be taken and I'm not sure how we would get around until we did find a car. I suppose there are rental car places at the airport? And that doesn't make sense either because it's not like our car would be at the airport when we arrive. How long would it take to get there? Ok, and one last question (for now), how long does it take to get your belongings? I am worried that we won't have everything before the birth and, even if we did, it would be too late to set up the nursery or get my children comfortable before their sibling arrives. Oh so much to think and worry about!!!

First, if you do end up coming to Japan, as soon as your husband receives orders you need to get a sponsor. A sponsor is invaluable and can answer any questions that you come up with. Your husband also needs to let the detailer know that you are pregnant as the detailer does sometime have a little flexibility (not always, and not much)

I'm told that the airlines don't generally allow pregnant women to fly after 5 months without doctors approval. You might have difficulty getting a doctor to accept the liability. There may be exceptions for short flights, but not on an international flight. You could be hours from a hospital if anything happens. Why take the risk to yourself and your baby so late in your pregnancy?

Make sure that you or your sponsor sign up for the shuttle bus from the airport. Under no circumstances should you rent a car at the airport. You should be on the shuttle bus, or your sponsor should pick you up there at the airport.

There is no advantage in bringing a car. First, it's not going to be here when you arrive. In addition you won't be able to drive it until it passes inspection. There is the costs of the inspection and any modifications that need to be made in order to get it to pass. I brought a motorcycle which didn't need anything and it was still a long painful process. I would not have brought the bike if I knew then what I know now A car is the same, only it will definitely require some modifications to pass inspection.

There is bus service and taxi's on base. Car rental is available through Navy Exchange, but is expensive. You will not be able to get a drivers license here in Japan, until after you complete the AOB/ICR, and take a drivers test. You want to take it slow when you start out. Everything is reversed. You can get hit, just by looking the wrong way out of habit.

You will receive COLA if you live on base.

Yes of course there are schools on base. It works just like a public school in the states. If you have young children you can check into them attending Japanese schools also. Many parents do take advantage of that and it's free.

It can take 60-90 days for your household goods to arrive, depending on when you ship and how far they have to come.

A lot of this should be explained to you as you go through the overseas screening process and anything else you'll be able to ask your sponsor.

Good luck!

PS: I just noticed, that you already have two children? This definitely needs to be communicated to the detailer. I don't think they normally will send someone with 4 dependents to Japan because of the cost involved.

Take care, hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Bill22; 10-14-2008 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: additonal advice

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 22,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
All this means is that the Bank of Yokohama which is walking distance from the base pays a better exchange rate for travelers checks than they do for cash. If you're exchanging substantial amounts of money (like I do every month for rent, utilities, and spending money), then it pays to change your money to travelers checks at Navy Fed (I also bank there). It's not a big difference, but it adds up
Thanks Bill22 for your response - that sounds like a good way to save something on expenses. Every little bit of information helps

Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 14,668 times
What is the high school like there for military dependents? I'm worried that my daughter will miss out on a great high school experience and they won't have things like marching band, football games, etc.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 61,795 times
Default High School in Yokosuka

Your daughter will LOVE our high school and so will you. My daughter is a freshman coming from 7 and 8th grade homeschool and grades 3-6 public school and grades K-2 DODDS school in Italy.

I love our high school-Kinnick High and so does she.

We have about 800 students. We have sports programs, drama and chorus, band, academic and service clubs and ROTC. The classes are competitive and we offer AP and honors courses. The teachers are wonderful and well rounded. It is a progressive environment that stresses not only excellence of academics but character too. I have found the DODDS schools are safer and more inviting than stateside public schools with the same activities and opportunities. It is smaller than a statside school, but that is nicer too.

Good things not always offered in a stateside school

1.The clubs/teams travel to other parts of the country to compete against other school.

2. The teachers are top notch

3. There is more administrative ability to contain and reform problem behavior, leading to a safer and more productive learning environment.

4. Fewer students

5. Opportunities for cultural enrichment

6. The programs enjoy wide spread base/community support

We have the homecoming dance tonight. The JV and Varsity games were last night after the homecoming parade. All week the days were different themes of dress for spirit week and the different classes decorated different hallways. We have prom and other school wide activities as well as plays/musicals. We also have Student Council.

If you have any questions about your upcoming move, feel free to email me at jigeary@hotmail.com. We have been here 3 months and are LOVING IT. We have 4th, 5th, and 9th grade girls. We have been stationed in Italy, Virginia and Maryland.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by jigeary; 10-24-2008 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 14,466 times
Hello,

I might get the opportunity to enter a one month work (february 2009) exchange program in Yokozuka.

Yet I'm single mother of a (of course ;-)) really nice little girl who will then be 21 months. She has already been with me in Irland and Spain, love travelling and adapts very well.

Yet, I must find a nice, appropriate, not to expensive (I'll have to pay it myself without any help) solution for her ? (japonese nursery school, french or english expatriate...).

I've read you've a 2 years old kid... Maybe you have experiences on this field ? How did you adapt in Yokosuka ?

Many thanks,

Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,374 times
I just found out that my fiance is being to deployed to Japan in less than 3 wks for 3 yrs. We have plans to get married a year after his deployment, so when he comes home we will make it official. My biggest concern is that when he comes back I will have just finished my bachelors in nursing and will be looking for jobs in the hospitals. As far as going to Japan, would it be hard to find a job, or being that I would now then be a military wife would it be easier?

Old 12-25-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shainah View Post
I just found out that my fiance is being to deployed to Japan in less than 3 wks for 3 yrs. We have plans to get married a year after his deployment, so when he comes home we will make it official. My biggest concern is that when he comes back I will have just finished my bachelors in nursing and will be looking for jobs in the hospitals. As far as going to Japan, would it be hard to find a job, or being that I would now then be a military wife would it be easier?
How is it that he only found out 3 weeks ahead? In the Navy we ususally know at least 6 months ahead where our next duty station is going to be! I suppose it could happen, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Where is he going to be stationed?

I think it would be next to impossible for you to work as a nurse in Japan, unless you are fluent in Japanese. Even then just like the states I would think you would have to pass a licensing exam.

There could be opportunities in the Navy Hospital on-base (if you're coming to Yokosuka), but I would expect them to be limited. Since the Navy has a nurse corp made up of active duty personnel, a hospital job is unlikely to be in nursing itself but some medically related field that a nursing degree might help you with.

Speculation on my part... just some things to think about.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues