Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 AM

329 posts, read 470,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
May I have inquire what sacrifices she is making ? Most who enlist look at the benefits and a pride to serve. Curious if you can share here this decision for her to enlist.
She just turned 23 and would say she is drawn to both the benefits ad pride to serve.. and she always wanted to be a Police Officer and hopes this will help her greatly to become one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 03:06 AM

421 posts, read 288,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That is not going to have any impact on promotions at all.

Congratulations to your daughter.
Son has been a Marine MP for twelve years,yes it has.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
She just turned 23 and would say she is drawn to both the benefits ad pride to serve.. and she always wanted to be a Police Officer and hopes this will help her greatly to become one.
It most certainly will,again congratulations.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
May I have inquire what sacrifices she is making ? Most who enlist look at the benefits and a pride to serve. Curious if you can share here this decision for her to enlist.
You lose some freedoms while being in the military. Plus, you are technically on duty 24/7; you cannot live where you desire, but where your orders designate, and you are subject to hostile situations, in some cases. Also, you may be separated from your family for some time. Finally, some are called to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:41 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Son has been a Marine MP for twelve years,yes it has.

I can't speak about marines; I can speak about the army, and it is not going to have any effect on promotions.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
You lose some freedoms while being in the military. Plus, you are technically on duty 24/7; you cannot live where you desire, but where your orders designate, and you are subject to hostile situations, in some cases. Also, you may be separated from your family for some time. Finally, some are called to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Great points !

Also , she is signing a binding 5 year contract for a "job" she has not even started yet.

No employer in the US can enforce a 5 year commitment ( punishable by jail time) except the military.

.....THAT..is taking a huge leap and she will have no other options until she is 28 years old.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
I am just so proud but so nervous too.. She signed up for Military Police for 5 yr term..
She ships out on July 3 for boot camp.. She is just 23
She is beyond happy and excited as are we..
If there are any military police women here, I would love to hear from you, advice ..
Or just let me know its a great career for women and she will be fine .. LOL

Congratulations to you and your daughter.

I come from a Navy family ( great-grandfathers, grand-fathers, My father, me......you get the picture) so I have no perspective on the Army. Or I should say I didn't until my son told me he is seriously considering enlisting in the Army. After I was released from the ER due to shock from his betrayal I reached out to others to get my facts straight.

Trying to be objective I think for a motivated young person the Army is an opportunity machine. I know two women who where in the Army (combat engineers) and both benefited from the experience. They are both social workers now. They claim they had no gender issues while serving.

Good luck to your soldier.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Trying to be objective I think for a motivated young person the Army is an opportunity machine.
Agreed. But the concept is difficult to convey to many... There are also some MOS's (Military Occupational Specialty) which are more suited for others. It is possible to change your MOS. But you don't get of a reenlistment bonus.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
My cousin's son is an Army MP. For his first duty station he was ripped away from his family (he's single) and sent to Hawaii. After a few months in Hawaii he was sent on a seven month TDY to Guam. Life is really rough for him right now.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I can't speak about marines; I can speak about the army, and it is not going to have any effect on promotions.

Actual, it already has there also.Son in law,a Staff Sargent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues