Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 PM

983 posts, read 738,188 times

Advertisements

Saw this video: https://www.facebook.com/retainyourf...?fref=mentions

Very sad and well worth watching, but in summary her husband was dealing with PTSD and when she asked him to get help he declined because he said he would lose his security clearance, but ended up committing suicide. I mean I get they want mentally well people but seems kind of dumb if just asking for help and getting a treatment plan could make you lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I'm amazed that anyone can get a security clearance anymore. Seems like more people than not have been prescribed antidepressants at some point. It is sad that getting help for any mental condition , especially PTSD can lose someone their job. It speaks to the stigma attached to mental illnesses. We hear all this clamor that people with such issues need to get help, don't be afraid to reach out. But in the same breath just realize if you do reach out, do get the help you need to get better, you will be singled out , labeled, stigmatized and might lose your job. WTF, does HIPPA not apply here?

So being under threat if you do reach out, many if not most don't, and the powers that be wonder why people snap.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Very sad and well worth watching, but in summary her husband was dealing with PTSD and when she asked him to get help he declined because he said he would lose his security clearance, but ended up committing suicide. I mean I get they want mentally well people but seems kind of dumb if just asking for help and getting a treatment plan could make you lose it.
Sorry, but the whole issue is not as simple as you are trying to make it. I have two family members dealing with PTSD...

Every case is different.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
PTSD is a medical condition that by itself, is not disqualifying for a security clearance. The specific PTSD condition would need to rise to the level of a clinically accepted mental illness before revocation will occur. Suspension can occur for PTSD just like it can occur for thousands of other reasons. PTSD is a broad condition so every case is decided on it's own.

I would actually be more concern why people are being led to believe PTSD equals an automatic suspension of the security clearance. That's the real danger and tragedy as the continued spreading of this misinformation is keeping some from seeking help.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 AM

983 posts, read 738,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
PTSD is a medical condition that by itself, is not disqualifying for a security clearance. The specific PTSD condition would need to rise to the level of a clinically accepted mental illness before revocation will occur. Suspension can occur for PTSD just like it can occur for thousands of other reasons. PTSD is a broad condition so every case is decided on it's own.

I would actually be more concern why people are being led to believe PTSD equals an automatic suspension of the security clearance. That's the real danger and tragedy as the continued spreading of this misinformation is keeping some from seeking help.
Well, with him being in the U.S Army wouldn't he know?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
As someone who is in the military, people are very afraid to seek help due to perceived career implications. You can have you career ended for any number of medical conditions, but generally it is safe to seek mental health help- people are just scared. In my career, I've 3x been on anxiety medications, been to on and off base counseling, and been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. If I tell a coworker or friend, they immediately express concern for my career. Yet, it has had ZERO career implications. ZERO. It has not had any affect on my career. It's safe to seek help, but the rumor-mill has everyone scared.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Honestly, it's usually the other way around. It's kind of a scam. You go to the doctor, you cry and complain about how you got injured at your desk job or whatever and how you can't cope, then you get PAID. Meanwhile, you got some people that really do have problems and they really can't cope.

But for a lot of people that I know, it's usually a scam.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
The sad thing is most Americans demonstrate behavior that could be classified as PSTD. How unfortunately that some don't seek help for fear of a career ending, etc.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
During my Active Duty career, there was a time when I was in the PRP [Personnel Reliability Program] tied to my security clearances. Under the PRP, I could have seen my clearances revoked for any of a long list of reasons: dental work, debt, divorce, STDs, relatives traveling over-seas, communications with foreign nationals, etc.

I was obligated to inform my doctor that I was in the PRP anytime that I sought medical treatment.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have a dear friend who is a gunsmith. He gets a lot of letters from the ATF about how they keep updating their policies. He is very concerned about vets with PTSD. If the VA has 'adjudicated' your claim for any mental illness you can no longer own a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues