U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:38 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,377,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I read on one of the .mil websites that commercial places or non-military aren't allowed to reproduce a military ID, like photocopy. Someone may try to make a fake id card to impersonate someone or gain access I guess.
Federal law prohibits the copying of military Id cards by non-governmental entities (like private businesses) unless excluded by law., Currently, there are only 3 common exclusions.

It's already been mentioned that medical providers have the right to copy and retain the ID for claims and identification purposes.

Another exception is when required by law. The most common form of this is the I-9 requirement. Businesses are required to be able to prove they were presented and checked the employees identification and copying is solid proof. So, private employers can copy and retain presented military ID's with the I-9 paperwork.

Another very common exception is nicknamed "Vegas I Do". ID cards can be copied and retained for any legitimate beneficiary, dependent or individual legal requirement. Most times, it's not an issue as the copies are really for the legitimate beneficiary, service member or dependent, and often they end up with the actual copies.

Those three are really the only primary reasons for a business to have a copy of a military ID card.

Regarding making a counterfeit, they don't need the military members card, they can go online to the DOD and get a copy and make their own at home. Unfortunately, so long as we allow the visual presentation of the ID without any verification scans/swipes, any joker can duplicate a card and use it. Preventing counterfeits can not be done; preventing verifiable ones can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Verizon told me they're not allowed to copy or photograph any military ID in order to get the military discount. This is pretty uniform from store to store. One place made my wife bring in a copy of my DD-214. Another place took a photo of my driver's license, because it has a flag on it, denoting my veteran status.
And Verizon should know - they are the suppliers of gov't phones!

I've been told NEVER let anyone copy your Military/gov't ID/CAC card.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:33 AM

4,726 posts, read 4,844,578 times
No. I wouldn't let anyone copy military ID, veterans ID, or drivers license.

Apparently some have never heard of identity theft or if they have they don't comprehend what it means.

Granted, Google probably has more information about all then the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues