U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:07 AM

737 posts, read 303,407 times

Advertisements

Are military ids or veteran ids treated as very private. When used for a discount, is it permissible to let someone snap a photo of it? Is there a grey area or explicitly written rules on copying the id? (I'm not in the military)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:53 AM

24,149 posts, read 38,928,795 times
Quote:
Can Commercial Establishments Photocopy Military Identification Cards?

Photocopying U.S. government identification is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. It is acceptable to provide military or government ID to commercial establishments but they cannot copy or duplicate it in anyway. Both military personnel and commercial establishments are often times unaware of this law while attempting to verify military affiliation for government rates, discounts or deals on services, lodging or products.

I or my wife use our Military or Dependents ID for discounts frequently...

Old 05-27-2017, 04:43 PM

3,194 posts, read 9,243,155 times
Just to caviot, medical and government facilities CAN copy it... for example, when used as a medical insurance ID card, or ID to purchase a firearm, etc.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:26 PM

5,892 posts, read 3,164,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Are military ids or veteran ids treated as very private. When used for a discount, is it permissible to let someone snap a photo of it? Is there a grey area or explicitly written rules on copying the id? (I'm not in the military)
Verizon told me they're not allowed to copy or photograph any military ID in order to get the military discount. This is pretty uniform from store to store. One place made my wife bring in a copy of my DD-214. Another place took a photo of my driver's license, because it has a flag on it, denoting my veteran status.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks guys. It seems strongly discouraged or illegal for anyone to photo-copy or upload an id for a commercial place. The fear is a terrorist or criminal may try to replicate a copy of it.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM

24,149 posts, read 38,928,795 times
Quote:
The fear is a terrorist or criminal may try to replicate a copy of it.
Where did you hear that? We were seeing phony Military U.S. ID's overseas over 45 years ago...

Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,370,983 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. It seems strongly discouraged or illegal for anyone to photo-copy or upload an id for a commercial place. The fear is a terrorist or criminal may try to replicate a copy of it.
Which makes absolutely no sense what so ever since the US Dept of Defense, through DHRA has detailed examples of all military (current and past) and CAC cards along with explanation as to the boxes on each, the color coding of the cards, who is entitled to what, what different numbers mean, etc. So copies are freely and widely distributed by the DOD tot he entire USA and foreign world. The only conceivable and viable threat would come in if the card is taken at face value only without going through any verification system. In that case, a cut and past from any military website will probably produce a more realistic forgery than one photocopied on a copier at a store.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 AM

536 posts, read 331,921 times
Cannot remember whether I have seen a DoD or Service-specific policy on this, but at the very least this should be strongly discouraged. Sure there is info out there on military IDs already, but why potentially compromise yours or make it easier for someone to fake one?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Where did you hear that? We were seeing phony Military U.S. ID's overseas over 45 years ago...
I read on one of the .mil websites that commercial places or non-military aren't allowed to reproduce a military ID, like photocopy. Someone may try to make a fake id card to impersonate someone or gain access I guess.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Which makes absolutely no sense what so ever since the US Dept of Defense, through DHRA has detailed examples of all military (current and past) and CAC cards along with explanation as to the boxes on each, the color coding of the cards, who is entitled to what, what different numbers mean, etc. So copies are freely and widely distributed by the DOD tot he entire USA and foreign world. The only conceivable and viable threat would come in if the card is taken at face value only without going through any verification system. In that case, a cut and past from any military website will probably produce a more realistic forgery than one photocopied on a copier at a store.
This reminds me of a beavis n butthead episode when they try to photocopy money to be rich, they pay a dime to photocopy a nickel and cut around it with scissors, then go to the minimart to buy a big burrito and pay with a notes that are cut out messy and white on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues