U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,643 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

@pmck95 "On the plus side as well, you'll be able to fix your own system at home if it does go down". This is every woman's dream, lol. It would be great just knowing you don't need to call a guy to get the job done. In my book the benefits of the job always outweighs the negative. I always say this, because not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows. People always flip out when they see a whopping bill, good service is never cheap. If the job is everything you say it is,its definitely worth it. My recruiter also said it's a male dominant career field, but he knows I can do it. It actually sounds aweasome knowing a woman can do the job just as good as man. Thanks for the response, and I always have a lot of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 AM
 
322 posts, read 667,830 times
Reputation: 245
Although it's been nearly 17 years since I have retired from the Air Force, my advice would be to not even think twice, and go with the HVAC career field. Security Forces jobs can vary widely with some (like manning a flight line post) being very boring from what I understand. When I was in, Security Forces was not a very highly regarded career field, but maybe things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 08:26 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
624 posts, read 324,251 times
Reputation: 918
As a Former Marine for 8 years in Telecommunications, I would say pick the HVAC job over Security Forces. Security Forces may sound like a cool job but ultimately you will be writing tickets and standing post at a base gate ANY time of day/night. Also I have been able to use what I learned in the Marines out in the real world and I making really good money now. I always tell people think about the future and what you want to do in life because this won't last forever. I am literally so thankful for my recruiter who steered me away from Infantry to be a Telecommunications Technician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,892 posts, read 3,160,844 times
Reputation: 11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
As a Former Marine for 8 years in Telecommunications, I would say pick the HVAC job over Security Forces. Security Forces may sound like a cool job but ultimately you will be writing tickets and standing post at a base gate ANY time of day/night. Also I have been able to use what I learned in the Marines out in the real world and I making really good money now. I always tell people think about the future and what you want to do in life because this won't last forever. I am literally so thankful for my recruiter who steered me away from Infantry to be a Telecommunications Technician.
You did better than I did. I was a 2814 Central Office Installer/Repairman. I worked on first generation telephone switching equipment that was invented in the 1890's and perfected in the 1920's. But HVAC if you want a solid career. Security Forces if you want to go into Law Enforcement, which is also a solid career, albeit a more dangerous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 PM
 
4,719 posts, read 4,838,074 times
Reputation: 4848
HVAC.

Much less stress. Many more job opportunities afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 07:25 PM
 
10,408 posts, read 7,492,263 times
Reputation: 18356
You're talking CE? Or aviation? Well, aviation would be Electical/Environmental so I'm assuming you're talking CE. You've gotta be smart! And it's a great civilian job if you don't mind working hard for good money. Also, CE has room to move around if you decide you want to switch fields. Just makes you more valuable. GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 09:09 AM
 
32 posts, read 41,643 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You did better than I did. I was a 2814 Central Office Installer/Repairman. I worked on first generation telephone switching equipment that was invented in the 1890's and perfected in the 1920's. But HVAC if you want a solid career. Security Forces if you want to go into Law Enforcement, which is also a solid career, albeit a more dangerous one.
To me we both did good in my opinion. Coming close to even be apart of the Air Force is something most dream of. It's a great career with good living conditions. Well at least that's what I've heard. HVAC is a male dominant career but, I have no doubt in my mind it can't be done. I love challenges, and seeking out opportunities. If someone says it can't be done or its impossible thats where I want to be. Security forces does sound kind of boring now that I think about it. I'm not even thinking twice definitely taking HVAC and going all the way home with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 09:17 AM
 
32 posts, read 41,643 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
Although it's been nearly 17 years since I have retired from the Air Force, my advice would be to not even think twice, and go with the HVAC career field. Security Forces jobs can vary widely with some (like manning a flight line post) being very boring from what I understand. When I was in, Security Forces was not a very highly regarded career field, but maybe things have changed.
Its kind of funny, because a friend of mine told me Security forces, and she's with the National Guard. She even talked about how cool the job is. Well it sounds like the complete opposite from what she said. If I chose to walk that road I probably would be regretting it for years. I guess it depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 09:25 AM
 
32 posts, read 41,643 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
As a Former Marine for 8 years in Telecommunications, I would say pick the HVAC job over Security Forces. Security Forces may sound like a cool job but ultimately you will be writing tickets and standing post at a base gate ANY time of day/night. Also I have been able to use what I learned in the Marines out in the real world and I making really good money now. I always tell people think about the future and what you want to do in life because this won't last forever. I am literally so thankful for my recruiter who steered me away from Infantry to be a Telecommunications Technician.
People always tell me I'm wise beyond my age. The one thing I like doing is researching and asking a lot of questions. From time to time I've tumbled down the ladder of success, but I also manage to make it. I figured if I'm going to make this a career, and retire choose wisely. Like you said "think about the future, and what you want to do in life, because this won't last forever". I couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
624 posts, read 324,251 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost and Confused View Post
People always tell me I'm wise beyond my age. The one thing I like doing is researching and asking a lot of questions. From time to time I've tumbled down the ladder of success, but I also manage to make it. I figured if I'm going to make this a career, and retire choose wisely. Like you said "think about the future, and what you want to do in life, because this won't last forever". I couldn't have said it better myself.
You think pretty much the same way as I do. I may stumble sometimes but I will climb up that ladder no matter what. It is great that you are doing research about the career fields because it will help regardless of what you decide. But you are in good shape right now to decide the course of your future.

So yes HVAC is hot, sweaty, and demand but it pays VERY GOOD on the outside. I have a buddy of mine who does industrial and large residential HVAC for a living and he makes a KILLING. I know last time I spoke to him he literally had 2 companies trying to steal him away from his current company he was working at. He admits that it's tough work but he makes great money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top