U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 493 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to do research on the internet but I can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know if there is anyway I can ship out earlier than my original ship date? My recruiter said him and his boss are looking out for any other emergency job openings but I feel like they aren't trying. Is there anything I could do to leave earlier ? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 PM

8,138 posts, read 5,283,636 times
There's an AF recruiter here who will probably be along directly. Keep checking back. I think it's DMarie? Or something close to that.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 493 times
Alrighty, thank you!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM

1,431 posts, read 324,046 times
You can ship on open general or in a slot that a recruiter needs to fill. It's really up to the recruiter.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 7,919,016 times
Misstie- YES! We ship people out early all the time (I'm the recruiting supervisor for my area). There's a few moving pieces though.

If you have a low ASVAB Score, it might not work out. If you're picky, it might not work out.

There are DAILY opportunities to ship early, but you're recruiter won't offer them to you if you aren't qualified for the jobs, or if you're going to say no because you're picky.

At least once a week we have an opening for a short notice 2M or 2W of some kind. Those are the people who work in Missile Silos with the Intercontinental Nuclear Weapons (2M), or work with conventional weapons (2W). For the Nuke jobs, you can't have needed any waivers, have any minor in possession or other alcohol offenses, or any history of emotional counseling, depression, etc. Do you have a list of jobs you are qualified for? Are those on your qualifications list? Are you WILLING to do them?

I don't think I've ever seen a short notice opening for any medical job or police job. Why? If MY applicant can't ship, I have a line of other people waiting for those jobs, so it won't ever make it to you. However, people don't want to work with the nukes or can't, so I end up giving that job away to the next highest level, and then the next highest, etc. Eventually, we get an email blast world wide, at least weekly, offer the job to anyone on earth. The catch is, the fastest recruiter wins. If your recruiter calls you to ask, and you miss the call or want time to think, you'll lose out.

If you're "minimally qualified" with an under 50 ASVAB, you likely won't get out early. We have TONS of people with under 50 ASVABs who qualify for minimum jobs, so if one comes open, the unit that "owns" it won't hand it off.

The jobs we see daily are the jobs that are HARD TO FILL because people either don't want them, or aren't qualified.

You need to be WELL Qualified, and willing to do ANYTHING if you truly want to leave early.

Check with your recruiter and let him know that you will take anything, leaving any day, without a phone call confirming it, so he can move quickly.

Most short notice fills happen on TUESDAY because that's "Ship Day" and the day MEPS turns people away for silly things like a wart. He may know at about 8am on Tuesday of an opening, but you need your bag packed to be at MEPS THAT DAY.

Much depends on how flexible you are, and if you're qualified for stuff we need.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You can ship on open general or in a slot that a recruiter needs to fill. It's really up to the recruiter.
Open General jobs are POPULAR right now. We never have any extra openings. Every recruiter has people waiting for those! I could literally try to bribe another unit for their open general contracts and they'd tell me know. They're worth GOLD!

The OP will need to be open to 2M, 2W, and other such jobs. All the 2A jobs as well. NEVER going to happen with an open general. I'm lucky if I see 1 open general job a month, and I have 7 recruiters that work for me. I have like 10 people right now that want open general, and I'm hoping and praying I can get at least 1 in June.

We just don't need those right now, and that's one of the most desirable bookings we have, as it's all the medical, graphic arts, photography, paralegal, and jobs that people want.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 PM

OP, it's called "QUICK SHIP" if that helps you in your research.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 493 times
Im already booked to ship out June 27 for security forces, but I'm trying to leave any other date that's closer or becomes available. (Today for instance since its Tuesday) thank you, I appreciate it!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Probably won't happen if you want to stick with security forces. Since that's a coveted job, your recruiter would have to personally have someone else back out, because if it's in another office, that office will fill the vacancy with their waiting people. If you're flexible for other jobs, you have a shot! Good luck!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 324,046 times
Wow, good info. I didn't know open general was an actual draw, now.
Interesting about secfo, we always joked that was a conciliation or punishment, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues