Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM

32 posts, read 112,391 times

Advertisements

For those of you who probably didn't know I switched branches. I went from the Army to Air Force due to issues with my recruiter at the time. Long story short he made me miss my appointment for MEPS and then told me I had to meet with the commander. The purpose was to explain why I missed my appointment at MEPS. Eventhough I've been trying to contact him, and he never responded. He was MIA. Eventhough I switched branches I had to write memo's explaining the reason for the missed appointment to the commander, and MEPS. Its been over 4 weeks, and I'm still waiting to go back to MEPS. Should I be worried? Is there a way my recruiter can speak on my behalf to speed up the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
If you have pissed off the people moving you through MEPS, yeah... be worried.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:48 PM

In that case I have nothing to worry about. It just bothers me that as time passes I'm starting to get very impatient. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision by going through the enlistment process. Maybe I should just forget about the military and live my life.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Don't let one bad recruiter ruin it for you!!!

Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Don't let one bad recruiter ruin it for you!!!
Is there anything my recruiter can do for me? I know switching branches again will only make the process go slower. At this point I don't know what to do. From your experience have you ever had to deal with a situation like this? What would be the wisest thing to do? I've been going to this new recruiter since February and we are now in June. All I'm waiting on is MEPS to schedule an appointment for my consult. I typed up the memo explaining that the missed appointment was due to my past Army recruiter not informing me. It was accepted and signed last month. Since then it's been about 4 weeks and there's no update. If there is any advice you can offer me, I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost and Confused View Post
For those of you who probably didn't know I switched branches. I went from the Army to Air Force due to issues with my recruiter at the time. Long story short he made me miss my appointment for MEPS and then told me I had to meet with the commander. The purpose was to explain why I missed my appointment at MEPS. Even though I've been trying to contact him, and he never responded. He was MIA. Eventhough I switched branches I had to write memo's explaining the reason for the missed appointment to the commander, and MEPS. Its been over 4 weeks, and I'm still waiting to go back to MEPS. Should I be worried? Is there a way my recruiter can speak on my behalf to speed up the process?
OK, I just read this more closely. 4 weeks is WAY Too long. However, it's not completely out of the ordinary. It depends on where you live. For example, if you live in rural North Dakota, and you need an eye consult, it can take weeks to find a optometrist who meets the requirements of the MEPS government payment contracts. Some of it is handled outside of MEPS hands by a another contractor who finds consults.

However, if you live in a big city like Atlanta, this doesn't make sense.

Please look at this map, Groups/Squadrons. Figure out what squadron you fall under based on geography. Once you do that, click on the link for that squadron. You'll get a phone number for the headquarters. Call them. Call them and POLITELY and WITH RESPECT, explain your situation and the lack of help from your recruiter. BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL AND PROFESSIONAL. Don't bad mouth your recruiter with emotions, just give the facts without emotions. This will get you a higher-up who can push with MEPS. This won't get your recruiter in trouble or make him pissed at you if it's a matter of MEPS taking too long to get you scheduled. Your recruiter has no ability to push back against MEPS, but people at the squadron do.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:10 PM

@dmarie123
This is the best advice anyone has ever given me. Its hard when you're stuck in a situation, and nobody understands. Going from recruiter to recruiter, and getting no results at times feels like an automatic failure. Everyone I talk to wants to help, but starting over is very frustrating, but I made the sacrifice. My recruiter told me 2 weeks ago all I can do is be patient, and wait since MEPS has to schedule the appointment for the consult. I really want to contact headquarters, but I'm afraid that doing so will only make matters worse for me. My recruiter is not the problem its MEPS, I was told at the moment they're short staffed. I heard that last month, so I am not convinced. Especially since people are still going there. Will word get back to my recruiter that I contacted a higher-up? A friend of mine told me they will see me as a problem, and nobody will want to deal with me. She basically said I'm digging myself a hole.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 PM

That's why I said to keep your emotions out of it and stick to the facts, so your recruiter won't get thrown under the bus and won't be mad. I'm pretty sure that MEPS is the issue. You can "complain" without throwing a hissy fit. A simple phone call stating something like, "I am trying to join the Air Force, and I have waited 4 weeks for MEPS and still don't have a consult. My recruiter is doing everything he can to help, but MEPS hasn't been able to get me scheduled. Is there anyone who might be able to help? Or, is it possible to get authorization to go to my own eye doctor?"

It's extremely unlikely that the commander will answer the phone. You're going to get someone the same rank as the recruiter answering the phone, who will give this flight chief a heads up without blowing the whole thing out of the water.

That is far different from "My recruiter is a jack ass who won't help me and has horrible customer service and I'm about to say F this whole situation."

If you are in a truly rural area, that could be part of the problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:27 PM

It makes a lot of sense to stick to the facts and keep it respectful and professional. Thanks a lot for the information, I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues