U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:16 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost and Confused View Post
I thought about this all week, and decided it was time. It didn't seem like an issue until I thought about going off to basic eventually. Now that is when the fun starts. I was considering just getting th IUD, because it lasts longer compared to the depo shot. I'm not sure if it would be an issue at MEPS. I think sticking to the depo shot for now makes a lot of sense. When I'm more comfortable in a year I can switch to an IUD. Thanks
IUD, if for birth control= good to go. No issues at MEPS at all. You'll breeze right through. Same with DEPO. You can use any kind of birth control, so long as you disclose it and it's for birth control.

If you think you have a medical condition, go to the doctor, but realize it's going to cause you monumental issues with joining. Expect to wait months for a medical waiver, and expect that you might be turned town until you put time and distance between you and the medical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,451,248 times
Gotta admit I know nothing about the military here--but I can tell you women who don't require medication of some type to deal with their periods are the minority. They will really DQ women for that? I'm amazed any woman makes it into the military with that rule.

The rule dmarie123 quoted says only if it doesn't respond to medical management. Birth control pills are the most common way of medically managing period symptoms.

And if fraternization with other soldiers is strictly banned, and most women joining the military wouldn't be married, wouldn't taking BC for contraceptive purposes be highly suspicious?

Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
Who is allowed to have sex in basic training?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:09 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Who is allowed to have sex in basic training?
As a former military wife, who survived DH basic, the better question is who can even think about it?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
The rule dmarie123 quoted says only if it doesn't respond to medical management. Birth control pills are the most common way of medically managing period symptoms.
It's not that simple. If there is an underlying cause, you can get DQ for that, and so you'll need to prove there is no underlying cause. That's tough to do. It generally results in a lot of long term medical appointments and medical waivers. From the sound of the OPs post, I'm not sure her symptoms are cleared up by medication.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 PM

368 posts, read 208,452 times
OP, you seem to be self-sabotaging yourself. You've been to MEPS already yet you come on this board saying you need to see a doctor for excessive sweating and birth control. Why on earth would you go see a doctor for these conditions after you've been to MEPS already? So, what you are saying here is that you weren't honest regarding your health history with MEPS. The way I see it now you have 2 choices, get disqualified or suck it up buttercup.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,967,085 times
Disclaimer* I am not a medical professional and you should seek a Dr. opinion*

It is possible to continue to take the active pills and skip the non-active pills that you would take during your period. There is also a brand of BCP named Lybrel.

This would eliminate the painful periods during your training. Again- seek out your Dr.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 AM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
There are birth control pills that you take everyday so you don't even get a period. What about ablation? Doesn't that also stop your periods for awhile or would that show up on your medical records and DQ you?

OP - are you going into the military for the right reasons? Are you going to be able to have your fellow soldiers back if you are having severe cramping? As a woman, I will never understand a woman wanting to be in the military but if you seriously want to do it and not for the sign-on bonuses, benefits, etc. then go for it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 AM

4,093 posts, read 1,712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
OP, you seem to be self-sabotaging yourself. You've been to MEPS already yet you come on this board saying you need to see a doctor for excessive sweating and birth control. Why on earth would you go see a doctor for these conditions after you've been to MEPS already? So, what you are saying here is that you weren't honest regarding your health history with MEPS. The way I see it now you have 2 choices, get disqualified or suck it up buttercup.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

OP - are you going into the military for the right reasons? Are you going to be able to have your fellow soldiers back if you are having severe cramping? As a woman, I will never understand a woman wanting to be in the military but if you seriously want to do it and not for the sign-on bonuses, benefits, etc. then go for it.
X 1000.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM

763 posts, read 478,094 times
I want to give a warning about the IUD. My wife tried that for a year. There is a string that (hangs) out of you that can get caught on things. She also felt what she called a weird sensation depending on how she moved. I wouldn't recommend it based on my wife's experience. Having been in the Military, and working closely with the females in my squadron, I would recommend the shot. Taking anything daily is a pain in the butt in the military. You need to be mobile. Even on the ship things got lost or damaged. I have severe allergies to dust and have taken an OVC allergy medication since I was a kid. It was a PITA bringing that with me for a 7 month deployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or