Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 112,423 times

Advertisements

This is a question I want to ask my recruiter, but I'm not even sure I should ask. My face, palms, and feet sweat excessively. It's been that way at the age of nine. I guess it never really bothered me until now. Whenever I go out there's always a rag in the palm of my hand. Sometimes its so hot at times my palms look like I went running or even went for a swim. Asking the people at MEPS is even out of the question. They're always finding ways to get someone disqualified. Other than that I'm healthy, so I can't complain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Gonna be real tough on a miles long foot marches with excessively sweating feet.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost and Confused View Post
This is a question I want to ask my recruiter, but I'm not even sure I should ask. My face, palms, and feet sweat excessively. It's been that way at the age of nine. I guess it never really bothered me until now. Whenever I go out there's always a rag in the palm of my hand. Sometimes its so hot at times my palms look like I went running or even went for a swim. Asking the people at MEPS is even out of the question. They're always finding ways to get someone disqualified. Other than that I'm healthy, so I can't complain.
Zip lip. Do not ask.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
It's your health. Don't you think the risk of dehydration from a medical condition while performing routine boot camp exercise is worth at least speaking to a doctor?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's your health. Don't you think the risk of dehydration from a medical condition while performing routine boot camp exercise is worth at least speaking to a doctor?
I got checked out at MEPS, and I have no medical conditions. However, I was wondering if I should mention it to my recruiter. I don't think it's a big deal, and don't think it's worth mentioning. I am going to see a doctor, and evaluate my options from there.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-11-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Quote:
I got checked out at MEPS, and I have no medical conditions. However, I was wondering if I should mention it to my recruiter. I don't think it's a big deal, and don't think it's worth mentioning. I am going to see a doctor, and evaluate my options from there.
Once you go to the doctor you may have to tell your recruiter and MEPS. If you don't have a medical condition that requires immediate attention, don't go. Everyone will be sweating in boot camp. Forget about it and move forward. You're more likely to sabotage your military career before it even starts by sweating (no pun intended) the little things.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-11-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 08:34 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:

Once you go to the doctor you may have to tell your recruiter and MEPS. If you don't have a medical condition that requires immediate attention, don't go. Everyone will be sweating in boot camp. Forget about it and move forward. You're more likely to sabotage your military career before it even starts by sweating (no pun intended) the little things.
Sound advice.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-11-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
OP, if you go to the doctor and get diagnosed with hyperhidrosis you will be disqualified.

From DODI 6130.03- g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled
by topical medications.

So, this may not be a long term DQ, but you'd have to get topical medications, wait and see if they work, and then you'd need an SG waiver. This will be a long process and if the topical medications don't work, you're screwed.

A doctor is very likely to diagnose you because this is based on how you report your symptoms, not based on a lab test. If you go to the doctor and describe hyperhidrosis symptoms, you're going to make life difficult.

If you were my applicant I'd tell you to wait until you were in. If you've gone this long without medical treatement, do you really NEED it now??

Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Gonna be real tough on a miles long foot marches with excessively sweating feet.
You have a point, but sometimes its worth the risk. I worked too hard to just give up and quit, especially after making it this far. People take the simple things in life for granted. One day I would like to wear a pair of flip flops, and not worry about my feet sweating, sign a document without worry about soaking it, or even have a conversation without wiping sweat off my face. It can be frustrating at times, but I manage. If I keep worrying about my flaws I would never accomplish anything. Everytime I fall I get right back up, and keep going.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OP, if you go to the doctor and get diagnosed with hyperhidrosis you will be disqualified.

From DODI 6130.03- g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled
by topical medications.

So, this may not be a long term DQ, but you'd have to get topical medications, wait and see if they work, and then you'd need an SG waiver. This will be a long process and if the topical medications don't work, you're screwed.

A doctor is very likely to diagnose you because this is based on how you report your symptoms, not based on a lab test. If you go to the doctor and describe hyperhidrosis symptoms, you're going to make life difficult.

If you were my applicant I'd tell you to wait until you were in. If you've gone this long without medical treatement, do you really NEED it now??
You're absolutely right I managed without going to a doctor. I even participated in gym everyday, and it wasn't a big issue. Eventhough my palms sweat I make cards and love to draw. I even did my sisters, friends, and families hair, so I guess its not a big deal. After I complete the process I'm going to go to the doctor, and look into topical medication. Will I be able to take it to basic? Would getting a prescription for it help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues