U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 AM

7 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

So I've consider this a lot but I still have a few questions. Questions I know a recruiter for the most part can't answer. So here is the main overall issue. I have a UK citizenship and I'm not willing to give that up. Good news is that I do qualify for the one job I wanted MC (mass communications). There's a few more but I don't qualify for them as a dual citizen. Even if everything went well for me and I got in as an MC how much will being a dual citizen hurt my career in the Navy? I'm asking because from what I've asked it seems like there's no way I'd get a security clearance. I don't know if that rate requires one the higher you rank up but if it does should I not join as an MC?

I guess it would helpful if someone who has join as dual citizenship could tell me what hardships or road blocks they've experienced.

Any advice would help. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM

3,184 posts, read 9,227,803 times
AF recruiter here, we don't allow dual citizens at all- I didn't realize the Navy did. Wow. Have you considered giving up your UK citizenship? If you don't want to, that shows a tie to another country, and may limit your ability to get a security clearance.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 AM

763 posts, read 478,609 times
I was in the Navy, 6 sailors in my squadron had dual citizenships. One was from Mexico, one from Guatemala, one was from Ukraine, one was from the Philippines, one was from Laos, and the last was from Kenya. All of them choose aviation mechanics because it didn't require a security clearance for most aircraft. There were a select few that did, and they were barred from those airframes. None of them had any restrictions on advancing.

You won't qualify for security clearance so you must plan for that. If mass communications requires a security clearance at a certain rank, I would pick another job.

If the Navy didn't allow dual citizens, it would loose a ton of sailors. There are tons of Philippino's serving on active duty in the Navy.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

@ericsvibe I don't know if a security clearance is required to rank. Or if its required to be an officer. I know the main requirement was to be at least a US citizen. There weren't too many jobs that I was interested in sadly. After that it was merchant marine. Not fully sure what they do but it didn't seem all that bad either.

Quote:
"If the Navy didn't allow dual citizens, it would loose a ton of sailors."
You would think Air Force would follow that rule. I wanted to join and was quickly rejected. That hurt pretty badly.

To answer @dmarie123. Honestly its just not an option. The last thing I want to do is give it up and then 10 years from now regret it when I want to go back. If I had no family there and if I was only just born there (oddly enough born in Scotland =.=) I would give up in a heartbeat. I doubt anyone on here would give up US citizenship.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdaze View Post

@ericsvibe I don't know if a security clearance is required to rank. Or if its required to be an officer. I know the main requirement was to be at least a US citizen. There weren't too many jobs that I was interested in sadly. After that it was merchant marine. Not fully sure what they do but it didn't seem all that bad either.

You would think Air Force would follow that rule. I wanted to join and was quickly rejected. That hurt pretty badly.

To answer @dmarie123. Honestly its just not an option. The last thing I want to do is give it up and then 10 years from now regret it when I want to go back. If I had no family there and if I was only just born there (oddly enough born in Scotland =.=) I would give up in a heartbeat. I doubt anyone on here would give up US citizenship.
By then Sexit will have occurred and the Scottish Republic will welcome you with open arms.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 PM

763 posts, read 478,609 times
Quote:

I would go for it then. If they say you qualify for the rating, then take it. None of my squadronmates had any problems.

Another piece of advice, if you are offered ship or shore out of boot camp, take ship. Accumulate as much sea time as you can early in your career. That way if you start a family later, it will be easier to get shore duty down the road.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
AF recruiter here, we don't allow dual citizens at all- I didn't realize the Navy did. Wow. Have you considered giving up your UK citizenship? If you don't want to, that shows a tie to another country, and may limit your ability to get a security clearance.
So how does that work, actually?

My daughter, for instance, was born in the Philippines while I was stationed at Clark. Of course, I immedately took my military ID and my wife's US passport down to the consulate and had her certified as a "Citizen of the United States Born Abroad."

However, as far as the Republic of the Philippines is concerned she is still a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines.

When a person becomes a naturalized citizen of the US, part of the naturalization process is a verbal oath renouncing all other allegiances.

I knew of persons when I was active duty--officers with TOP SECRET SBI clearances--who had done nothing more than that--nothing "official" with their native countries (which was the USSR in two cases, so their native countries would not have cooperated anyway)

Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So how does that work, actually?

My daughter, for instance, was born in the Philippines while I was stationed at Clark. Of course, I immedately took my military ID and my wife's US passport down to the consulate and had her certified as a "Citizen of the United States Born Abroad."

However, as far as the Republic of the Philippines is concerned she is still a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines.

When a person becomes a naturalized citizen of the US, part of the naturalization process is a verbal oath renouncing all other allegiances.

I knew of persons when I was active duty--officers with TOP SECRET SBI clearances--who had done nothing more than that--nothing "official" with their native countries (which was the USSR in two cases, so their native countries would not have cooperated anyway)

Was your daughter born on or off base?

As far as my situation goes I was born off base in Scotland, so I have British citizenship. That and also a few years back my parents applied for my national number (social security in UK terms). My parents never got the "Citizen of the United States Born Abroad." Probably because also at the time my parents we're not citizen of the United States as well, so that could be a major factor.

I'm not an expert in citizenship but I would assume if your born off base then technically your a citizen of that country.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Was your daughter born on or off base?

She was born on base, but actually that doesn't matter. The US doesn't own any of that foreign base property, it's all still the sovereign property of that nation. A baby would have to be born right on US embassy grounds to be said to have been born on "US soil" overseas.

That's why it's necessary to take proof of the parents' US citizenship to the US consulate to have the birth certified as a "US citizen born abroad" by proof of the parents' citizenship.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM

536 posts, read 330,926 times
It was not an issue when I joined (late 90s) the Marine Corps with a dual citizenship. Of course, some MOSs were limited, but it wasn't a major issue. You may run into issues when it comes to getting a clearance though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues