U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:46 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,058,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
You swear an oath to defend and uphold the constitution of the United States, from all enemies. That statement there means that you MUST have a respect for your country, because being in the military, it is YOUR job to defend it, using deadly force as necessary.

The biggest problem we face in this country today, is the hoards of federal employees that do not honor that oath. I believe they don't belong. This includes the military. So by being in the military, you are agreeing to DIE if necessary to defend the freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, the freedom of assembly, the freedom of the press, the freedom of religion, etc.

This is the reason that it is called the SERVICE.

You don't need to be a super patriotic person, but you need to have a deep held respect for our country, it's people, and it's laws and traditions.

If you hate any of the above, you have no business being in the military.
The OP specifically stated that the hypothetical applicant doesn't "hate".

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 06-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,365,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
In the commercials and watching movies/tv/videos about the military one thing that is often hyped up is being very patriotic, such as giving everything you are and being dedicated to loving America and such. But do you think it's really necessary to be good in the military? By that I am talking about those that join just for the benefits, for what it can offer the afterwards etc. Not saying they hate America by any means, simply want to join because of the benefits and what it could give them after 4 years etc.
My Personal Opinion

Many people who are or have served really don't care about the service itself or any of the expected 'god bless america" assumed to be the foundation of military service. They served or are serving because they needed money, wanted an education, get free travel to Europe, have loads of discounts heaped on them or just liked the uniforms. There is nothing inherently patriotic about serving in the military versus working at McDonald's. Patriotism is within a person. Don't confuse the attention of being labels a "hero" or acting the "part" with being patriotic. The assumption that being patriotic is a core underlying value of military service is due to the lack of attention patriotic civilian professions have. I would argue that Oshkosh probably has more true patriotic Americans proportionate to the entire US military.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:26 PM

12,679 posts, read 12,097,290 times
Speaking just for myself - patriotism was not a factor at all. I in fact disagreed with many of the things I did, and do not think it had anything to do with the benefit of the country nor defense of it.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM

536 posts, read 331,921 times
By its definition, patriotism is the love/support of one's country and presence of national loyalty. I would argue that those who do not support one's country and have no national loyalty, i.e., not willing to defend it as per the oath some of us took, they have no reason to join the military. I would say it is an inherent internal quality rather something exhibited by 'outlandish' behavior, speech, etc.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Do you think being very patriotic is requirement for doing well in the military?

In the commercials and watching movies/tv/videos about the military one thing that is often hyped up is being very patriotic, such as giving everything you are and being dedicated to loving America and such. But do you think it's really necessary to be good in the military? By that I am talking about those that join just for the benefits, for what it can offer the afterwards etc. Not saying they hate America by any means, simply want to join because of the benefits and what it could give them after 4 years etc.
I suspect that many first-term enlistees do it for patriotism.

After I completed my first enlistment, my re-enlistment was motivated by the pay and benefits. Each of my re-enlistments were motivated by the bonus pay and benefits.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM

536 posts, read 331,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I suspect that many first-term enlistees do it for patriotism.

After I completed my first enlistment, my re-enlistment was motivated by the pay and benefits. Each of my re-enlistments were motivated by the bonus pay and benefits.

Good point there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or