U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 PM

11,408 posts, read 16,061,320 times

Advertisements

This is the type of thread we all dread.

One of my oldest, dearest friends lost his battle with service-related PTSD and depression this week. He was just 31. He fought so bravely on and off the battlefield. He could just never get all the help he needed.

Now his family is left with the financial burden of burying him and other related expenses. The VA will cover the headstone and flag service, as well as allow the funeral to occur on the base, but as we all know that doesn't even begin to cover the costs. His family (parents and sisters) are all low income and have very little to spare for the expenses of burial, funeral, and other arrangements.

Are there charities or organizations that may help in situations like these? The family has been in touch with the VA and started a GoFundMe, but it absolutely breaks my heart that someone who sacrificed so much for this country has his family fighting for the scraps to bury him with honor.

I live on the other side of the country and aside from sending money and food, all I know how to do is research. Any leads or ideas?

Thank you, and I am so sorry for anyone else facing this tragedy with their loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 PM

4,556 posts, read 2,046,279 times
I found this:

Financial Assistance for Military Families | American Red Cross

Old 06-16-2017, 06:39 AM

8,891 posts, read 7,399,952 times
This is why I went outside the VA for help.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM

11,408 posts, read 16,061,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is why I went outside the VA for help.
He tried. The VA seemed to focus on giving meds rather than actually working through the issues. He found cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to be a very effective treatment for PTSD, but he had to go outside the VA to get it. From what he said, his VA in particular was strapped financially due to budget cuts.

Unfortunately, he couldn't afford to keep up on his own. :\

He went into the military hoping it was his ticket out of Alaska and into a career. When he ended up injured and dealing with the mental health impact, he ended up right back in Alaska in a series of menial, physical jobs that further created pain issues, not to mention exacerbated his feelings of worthlessness. It just sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or