U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 01:18 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,439,625 times

Advertisements

Regarding my post #6 and post #9...............I didn't cause anyone higher up the priority to wait for treatment.

In fact, I was one of the 1st to use the Choice program and a year later there were numerous articles of veterans not making use of it. A high percentage of funds were not even spent the 1st year.

When there are VA programs available, I am surprised vets aren't utilizing them.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM

2,239 posts, read 2,223,476 times
I am a veteran too from the Vietnam era ( 60-63) but I was stationed in Germany when the 'wall' went up and they kept us there instead. But I'm posting to remind all vets that you can be buried at a National cemetery. You can get pre-approval by filling out VA Form 40-10007 ahead of time so when the time comes everything is taken care of. I just sent mine in a couple of weeks ago. You can download the form.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM

123 posts, read 45,955 times
I agree I think a veteran is a veteran and I am not sure I wanted to start that debate. Thank you for input about the percentages. I agree even on a ship you are putting your life at risk even on a ship at Port.

Hope everyone has a nice 4th will check back.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:22 PM

4,774 posts, read 9,352,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When there are VA programs available, I am surprised vets aren't utilizing them.
I served in an artillery unit for many years.
Was a long time in denial that I could not hear well and never checked the VA benefits because I *thought* I could not afford the cost of a hearing aid.

Then after 40 some years, I finally checked and I got a good set for almost nothing !!

Sadly, you can not get eye glasses thru the VA ...
I guess bad vision is not service related !

Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM

107 posts, read 15,452 times
3goodmonths,

I understand how you feel, because I spent 25 years in the Navy, was on an aircraft carrier long enough to have four stars on the Vietnam Service Medal, never got shot at, and in no way consider myself a veteran of the same class as an actual combat veteran. That said, neither you nor I are taking anything away from a combat veteran, and the VA, as indicated above, has already prioritized in what they consider an appropriate order.

You and I have both served honorably, and went where the Navy told us to go. That's good enough. When asked if I am a veteran, I tell the truth. "Yes, but not a combat veteran." Nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 796 times
3goodmonths,

Don't feel ashamed. You served the nation. You're a veteran. Period. As a combat vet with 27.5 years in the Marine Corps, I've been in 3 wars, and awarded 2 combat action ribbons; I don't ever look down with disdain or hate any peace-time vets. I only envy the AF folks a little bit because they have all the nice housing, recreational facilities and for the most part good looking female Airman......

Happy Birthday to Uncle Sam!

Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 PM

4,570 posts, read 5,060,713 times
OP

I felt the same so I never applied. I looked at all these young veterans missing limbs and would think that they need the care more than I.

As a logistical officer I was so far in the rear getting fuel, equipment, and other needs to the more forward troops in Pres GHW Bush operations in ______, for example, I suffered only long days and sleeping in the dirt in some marshaling area or port.

Then in my 60s I went in and found that I should have applied sooner. I just feel comfortable there even if waiting in a very long sick call. People like to talk and I like to listen. And the hearing aids are good to have.

So we are all vets and have much to share. It helps others carry their load too

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 2,986,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I served in an artillery unit for many years.
Was a long time in denial that I could not hear well and never checked the VA benefits because I *thought* I could not afford the cost of a hearing aid.

Then after 40 some years, I finally checked and I got a good set for almost nothing !!

Sadly, you can not get eye glasses thru the VA ...
I guess bad vision is not service related !
They have an eye clinic in San Antonio VA. I've never used it though.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:56 PM

8,470 posts, read 14,862,440 times
Well, I've always felt a little like some of the non-combat vets, that I didn't do much to earn VA benefits. I did, however, use my school bennies, since I donated 4 years of my life to the cause instead of running off to college. I'm a Vietnam era vet, but I spent my "overseas" duty in beautiful Anchorage, AK, sitting at a desk writing histories and puff pieces or at a table playing cards.

I could have volunteered for a tour in Nam, but I didn't. Those who went there, especially those who actually fought there, deserve whatever the the VA can do for them. I know. I served. I gave a few years. But I had a pretty soft job, too.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 07-04-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 PM

16,489 posts, read 10,502,930 times
Once a person enlists, combat is all in the luck of the draw.

If things had gone as I planned when I enlisted in the Navy, I probably would have ended up in the back seat of a Phantom over Hanoi, but because I was well over the height limit for that job, I never got close to Vietnam; spent my service on the other side of the world.

Only 1 in 10 actually see combat. Everyone's job is equally necessary, so I never had regrets on not seeing any combat. But I was still in harm's way plenty of times as it was. Naval service is like that, especially when pulling sea duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.