U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 PM

25,680 posts, read 21,553,456 times

Advertisements

Being "behind the wire" although less hazardous, doesn't necessarily mean safety. We (Army Nurse Corps) lost a nurse from indirect mortal fire into the green zone. While in Afghanistan while I was running my morning 6 mile perimeter run, I heard gunfire and heard bullets whizzing over me. Not necessarily safe, but definitely nowhere near what these guys had to deal with. Respect to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2G5Fb03I9s

Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM

8,670 posts, read 5,903,479 times
Vets are vets. All roles are imperative.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 634,687 times
I can't believe that someone who worked a desk job in a deployed location, the one time they got deployed, so they could get their mental health disability benefits, would actually believe they are a combat veteran.

Lol.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,590,051 times
Even the military will try to get someone combat status who really isn't.

Vietnam ........I was stationed at Moffett Field CA with squadron VR-8.

Military Airlift Command ( MAC)

Air Force C-130 cargo planes in a Navy squadron.

Most flights were Hickman AFB Hawaii , Clark AFB Philippines , Viet Nam

At that time there were good re-enlistment bonuses.

Our squadron was told anyone who wanted to re-enlist would be made a crew member for 1 flight only. When the plane landed in Vietnam, he would re-enlist while plane was on the ground and thus his bonus would be tax free as it was pay from a combat zone

I recall the sailor who worked in the chief's office made that re-enlistment trip.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:24 AM

509 posts, read 869,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I can't believe that someone who worked a desk job in a deployed location, the one time they got deployed, so they could get their mental health disability benefits, would actually believe they are a combat veteran.

Lol.
I don't think it's so much the individual, but the military, itself. Like the way they define those eligible for benefits. One example is with government hiring.

Last I knew, one only needed to serve in a "combat theater" in order to get a campaign medal. And the medal is what opens doors and gives the recipient a veteran preference for government jobs.

Whether the person believes themselves to be a "combat veteran" because of this is on them.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:51 PM

3,844 posts, read 3,808,926 times
Quote:
The point is taken but the line is never that clear.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM

3,185 posts, read 1,873,113 times
Quote:

Lol.
I hope you arent serious.. Mental Health disability can be an issue through many non combat rates, in combat zones. have you ever had lead shot at you, or RPG's, depth charges, gone through a mine field?
Kinda stressful if not a combat rate..
SMH at the ignorance of the military sometimes.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I don't think it's so much the individual, but the military, itself. Like the way they define those eligible for benefits. One example is with government hiring.

Last I knew, one only needed to serve in a "combat theater" in order to get a campaign medal. And the medal is what opens doors and gives the recipient a veteran preference for government jobs.

Whether the person believes themselves to be a "combat veteran" because of this is on them.
Certain campaign medals dont give you preference. Being a Veteran then disabled Veteran. Go apply for a job and see the different levels of preference for Veterans. Nothing asks about campaign medals, except VA for medical.
Submarine force need Navy Expeditionary to get into SUBVETS, VFW etc. But that is for cheap beer and food.
And not everyone gets one.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 PM

There is a lot of misinformation here, according some sea lawyers..
I recommend people research things before posting...Just a recommendation.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
What is your definition of "combat veteran"? I served on a ship in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm and we fought the enemy. I didn't have bullets flying over my head but we were fighting an enemy and they wanted to kill us. Is that "combat"? Many of my shipmates were injured and two of them killed during our preparation to fight the enemy. Many others were injured while conducting combat operations even though the injuries were not directly caused by the enemy.

Or do you feel that ground combat is what constitutes "combat veterans"?

The military is a combat occupation regardless of what you do in the military. You can be ordered at any moment to combat and most in the military serve in dangerous positions regardless of what your job is.
Did you receive a Combat Action Ribbon? Thats what the Navy gives you , if you were in Combat. Surface or Ground.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Ribbon
And here is where you can find out if you or your ship was awarded it.
https://awards.navy.mil/awards/webba...m?OpenDocument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues