U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,278,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's the same in the Air Force, but the class divide is between flyers and everyone else. Whether officer or enlisted, wearing a flight suit and a set of wings sets you apart from everyone else.
Air Force Combat Medics and PJs are warriors very few know about too.
And Navy Corpsman who serve with the Corps are well regarded too.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:11 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Air Force Combat Medics and PJs are warriors very few know about too.
And Navy Corpsman who serve with the Corps are well regarded too.
Also Air Force Forward Air Controllers.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 8,536,771 times
Yes, among the other non infantry MOS's that seem to get some measure of respect from the grunts are the medics (Navy corpsman in the Marines), and maybe EOD types.

Perhaps chaplain corps.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,278,535 times
In retrospect, there are many people that were in the military that ended up being in combat, not by choice. I had a co worker that received a CAR when he was support for a group of guys over in the sand box. He is a submariner, and was doing his job , then was asked to do more while at a Command where we had some people that do combat as an NEC.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM

5,813 posts, read 3,090,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Steve, unless I'm mistaken, the Army doesn't issue a CAR, only the Navy and Marines issue these ribbons. The Army (during Vietnam) issued CIB's for combat infantry MOS's, on rare occurrences a non infantry MOS could be issued a CIB.
Starting in 2001 the US Army started issuing the Combat Action Badge for those who were not infantry/special forces or field medics. Instead of the musket the CIB has it has a bayonet on the bar

Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM

819 posts, read 484,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Starting in 2001 the US Army started issuing the Combat Action Badge for those who were not infantry/special forces or field medics.
Not exactly true.

The badge was adopted in 2005. The award of the badge was retroactive to September 18, 2001.

I saw enough people awarded that badge for questionable circumstances to invalidate its significance. Just my personal observation. I did the paperwork for all my guys who met the criteria.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 AM

6,965 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
On the flip side.

Worked with a nice Air Force veteran. He was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam time.

He received all Vietnam medals including the Combat Action Ribbon.

He was a air reconnaissance photo developer or some such MOS. Stationed at base in Thailand on ground.

He lived off base in Thailand. Had a live in "housekeeper". Did his laundry, cooking, and "other".

He never put one foot on ground in Vietnam.

How did he get the Combat Action Ribbon living/stationed in Thailand on ground?
Didn't those guys fly low in slow airplanes? I thought those were the guys that flew in Cessna's and the like. I could be wrong, but it seems like it could be the type of plane that could get taken down by a rifle bullet.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM

14,562 posts, read 6,698,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Didn't those guys fly low in slow airplanes? I thought those were the guys that flew in Cessna's and the like. I could be wrong, but it seems like it could be the type of plane that could get taken down by a rifle bullet.
If the person in question was a photo developer, that sounds like a reconnaissance interpretation tech. He would take the film from the RF-101 or RF-4 or RB-66 aircraft to the lab and develop it.

The forward air controllers were in O-1 and O-2 and later OV-10 aircraft. The F-100 was also used ("Misty" FACs). The O-1 and O-2 aircraft were quite vulnerable, although a couple of the OV-10s I flew in the late 80s had a patch or two where the aircraft had taken a round or flak.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No. Those guys ran Kodak Versamat processors either in a PPIF (Photographic Processing and Interpretation Facility) that supported the RF-4c or the SARPF (Strategic Air-Relocatable Processing Facility) that supported the SR-71 and U-2. Both facilities were actually a series of van-bodied trailers that could be connected like dominos with accordion air-seals between them. The SARPF used bigger vans; the PPIF vans could be hauled on a C-130, but the SARPF vans required a 135 or C-5.

As I recall, all the RF-4c squadrons were actually based in Vietnam (but, heck, they could move pretty readily, so at any time one might have been in Thailand).

The SARPF was initially in Vietnam during the early/mid 60s supporting the U-2, but when the Air Force took operation of the SR-71 in the late 60s, the SARPF was moved to Udorn AB, Thailand. I spent three months there during that time. That was my first time overseas, and sorry to say, I was too young and dumb to make the most of it.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
I show my respect to combat vets along with my sincere appreciation.

I do show appreciation to those who didn't see combat.

Big difference between the two, though, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or