U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 AM

1,186 posts, read 369,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That's a tough course. Thank goodness I was in Kuwait when I took it. The education office lady there let us retake any volumes we missed right away. Will he have an Honorable Discharge?
Troops to Teachers does require a Bachelor's.
Listen, the hiring process is long at USAJobs but it can be rewarding. Thow applications out there. Keep applying. But do take your time and look up "tips" for applying.
The FAA requires you to have your A&P license EXCEPT if you're Avionics. Lots of FAA jobs on there. He's got an advantage there.
I'd be on the phone with Dave Ramsey for tips on surviving this financially. Can you sell off some stuff? Get part time jobs?
You might check out the Guard (army or air) Sometimes they need people and will overlook things - but he'd have to pass that course there, too. Maybe the clock can start again on it.
I know things will turn out okay for you.
Highly illegal and immoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 AM

7,558 posts, read 8,127,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
They won't accept you in the guard or reserves if you have a disability. Hubby has sleep apnea He's already asked
Can you clarify, are you saying he has a diagnosis of Sleep Apnea in his service medical records already? Is he actively being treated for it?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:54 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,647,516 times
Quote:
They won't accept you in the guard or reserves if you have a disability. Hubby has sleep apnea He's already asked
Has he spoken to the Army?

Not trying to talk down on the Army but being the largest branch, the numbers require more people.

Definitely talk to them.

Tricare is tricare. $200/month for a family versus who knows how much on the civilian side. Plus he still works towards retirement at 20 years TIS even though he can't collect until 60. Same benefits such as TA.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:57 AM

8,663 posts, read 5,892,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Highly illegal and immoral.
Not so sure. She was pretty above board. She had to reschedule but she had the means to do that quickly. I won't say we just kept taking them until we passed. I think I retook one. There weren't many of us over there and she was sent to do nothing but help us get our degrees, etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:52 PM

65 posts, read 22,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Has he spoken to the Army?

Not trying to talk down on the Army but being the largest branch, the numbers require more people.

Definitely talk to them.

Tricare is tricare. $200/month for a family versus who knows how much on the civilian side. Plus he still works towards retirement at 20 years TIS even though he can't collect until 60. Same benefits such as TA.

The last thing the Army needs is a 14 year E5/E6 who can't apply himself enough to pass a written test required for promotion and has a non deployable "disability" usually attributed to overweight people.

Not meant to disparage or disrespect to the OP's husband, it is what it is. USAF wasn't for him.

There may be a possibility in the ARNG where you could possibly burn a couple of years getting MOSQed and then hang out for a few more years of 39 training days a year. The problem with that is the ARNG mismanages folks within many units and could get thrust into a leadership position which could get folks killed-in training and deployed. None of that does anyone any good. Especially not the unit or the taxpayers.

It's time to move on.

OP has gotten some decent advice throughout the thread. Her husband is in a field which can easily transfer to the civilian world just about anywhere in the country. Time to lock in any last minute certifications, polish up the resume, save as much last minute money as possible for a new life, and start applying for jobs.

Last edited by abnfdc; 07-08-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 02:03 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,475,916 times
Quote:
My hubby is being forced out because he couldn't pass the course 15 and they refused to let him test for Tech because of it. <>
What are the best places to apply for jobs?<>
I don't think it is so much a matter of where to live as it is where to get a job.
He obviously has some skills and he does not have to explain details to a prospective employer. Start looking in his field locally. Lots of sub contractors doing work just like his in your area probably.
Past experience:Relocating to an imaginary job is a pain and does not work out. Get the job first.
LinkedIn is the first website I signed up for in my job search. There are a lot of search organizations for jobs. Ask around at work. Remember, a reputable job search company is paid by the employer, not you. Any group that asks for upfront money is a scam with no opportunities.
"How do I know? I just do"

Old 07-08-2017, 02:19 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,475,916 times
One route that has not been mentioned is a home based business. It is a little late in the game to start but there are several that can provide a base for supplemental income. Probably not any of the big businesses you may have heard about. Wife and I are not building any more, but there are lots of opportunities around.
The military mind is well set to prosper in this kind of business. Before you begin to search for an organization search "multi level scam" to learn how to evaluate the offerings.
It is a plan B that can provide income and a network of people for you. Few get the big numbers but lots of people make nice vacation and tuition money out of it. Some do make gangster money, but don't count on it.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM

57 posts, read 22,384 times
have him write down his work history in detail.

the old paper version of the security clearance form was a good guide for what to write down and keep.

he should also get his transcripts from CCAF.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 PM

9,261 posts, read 16,545,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
FL and TX have no state income tax.

A suggestion I would have is to contact the Air Guard/Reserve and see if he can transition over to that component. Why? Tricare and retirement. He won't be able to collect until he's 60 but at least his 14 years TIS isn't thrown out of the door.

Get his resume together NOW and start sending it out. Sign up on all the job websites such as Indeed, USA Jobs, Monster, etc. Get on LinkedIn and start making contacts, get his name and resume out there. Use the resume writing services available to him for free. Use legal services, update his will, Power of Attorney, etc. Get all of your dental done before he leaves.

When you move, do a DITY move and max your weight to max your compensation. Sell his leave days, he can sell 60 for his entire career. Do NOT take the leave to get out early, he's leaving money on the table doing that.

Example:

His ETS is 1 October.

He signs out on 1 October and sells 60 days of leave. That deposit comes about 3 weeks after his ETS. It's just base pay. His full time pay until 1 October will be base pay, BAH and BAS.

If he takes leave and leaves 1 August, he will get paid until 1 October with base pay, BAH and BAS and that's it. No payout from selling leave.

When I left active duty, I sold 60 days. It was an additional $9,500 deposited into my bank account 3 weeks after I ETS'd.
I signed out jan 26th & my ets date was march 2. I just wanted out ASAP. Smart move on your part.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:19 PM

28,040 posts, read 44,103,267 times
I left Active Duty twice. Both times I ended it with 90-days of terminal leave. Most commands where I have been stationed have made it very difficult to take 30-days of leave each year.

So everyone in my career field accumulated their leave, hoping the next duty station would be easier to get leave chits approved.

It is a way to get out of the uniform faster and into civilian employment, while still receiving paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues