U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
He is logistic Test/ Avionics if that helps any.

Thanks.
Logistics sounds like a supply job, probably related to avionics. What is his AFSC? That would make it easier to determine possible civilian career opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM

346 posts, read 674,122 times
There are tons of logistics and avionics jobs here in the Jacksonville area at the Naval Air Station. Both contractor and Government positions. A lot of vets are in this area, probably because of no state tax and lots of Govt jobs. Have your husband get very familiar with usajobs.gov. Use federalsoup message boards to learn about applying to Govt jobs. If he has a disability rating with the VA, he will get 5 or 10 point preference which gives a huge advantage. Also, he can apply for unemployment until he can find something. Lastly, have him use the 911 GI Bill. It is amazing. Housing stipend and tuition assistance. He can go part time at night online. It will help give you income and he will increase his education for free. You can collect unemployment and GI Bill at the same time.

Make sure you don't make any crazy sudden moves. When my husband got out, we panicked and made a lot of dumb decisions that were mostly out of fear. It will work out!! Lots of luck. I know it is a hard transition.

ETA: Sent you a DM

Last edited by deeni; 07-08-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,503,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I signed out jan 26th & my ets date was march 2. I just wanted out ASAP. Smart move on your part.
I had Soldiers who were in a similar situation to yours. They just wanted out ASAP. I was more concerned about maxing my money.

But as you know, the reality when you get closer to ETS is that you'll have passed off your duties to your replacement. My last 2 months in the Army, I was basically writing annual reviews for my 10 Soldiers under me. That in of itself was a lot of work and took a lot of effort as those reviews helped shape their careers for the E8 board.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:22 PM

17 posts, read 18,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
He could work overseas as a contractor. Companies are always looking for prior AF specialities.
If he got a job overseas, what would happen to us?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Can you clarify, are you saying he has a diagnosis of Sleep Apnea in his service medical records already? Is he actively being treated for it?
Yes. It is in his records and he has a sleep machine for it.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
The last thing the Army needs is a 14 year E5/E6 who can't apply himself enough to pass a written test required for promotion and has a non deployable "disability" usually attributed to overweight people.

Not meant to disparage or disrespect to the OP's husband, it is what it is. USAF wasn't for him.

There may be a possibility in the ARNG where you could possibly burn a couple of years getting MOSQed and then hang out for a few more years of 39 training days a year. The problem with that is the ARNG mismanages folks within many units and could get thrust into a leadership position which could get folks killed-in training and deployed. None of that does anyone any good. Especially not the unit or the taxpayers.

It's time to move on.

OP has gotten some decent advice throughout the thread. Her husband is in a field which can easily transfer to the civilian world just about anywhere in the country. Time to lock in any last minute certifications, polish up the resume, save as much last minute money as possible for a new life, and start applying for jobs.
First of all, not everyone test well. We are both those people. No matter how hard we study, we fail.

Second of all, the sleep apnea runs in the family and he isn't overweight. Would have been more kind to ask instead of assuming. You may not have meant to be disrespectful but it failed to sound that way.

And third of all, those test used to be taken under a TDY status, with a group studying for the same thing. We know this because his prior supervisor went away for about a month to do this. They changed to rules and it hurt a lot of people, not just my husband. Must be nice for those that can recall everything they read in one sitting and be able to pass with no issue. His co-workers and crew enjoy having him and hate seeing this happen. It doesn't just affect him.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,393,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Someone mentioned contractor jobs - be sure to check sites such as Indeed.com. I would have a job lined up before moving. He is likely going to work near military sites or airports.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=avionics&from=googlesl

Contractor jobs are easy to get, and often can lead to good civil service jobs. I would not count on civil service too much as a first job, since getting in is very difficult.

Monster has good job listings as well:

https://www.monster.com/jobs/q-avion...cian-jobs.aspx

Also see:

Avionics Jobs by Aviation Employment

This is a situation where lemons could turn into lemonade, Good luck!
If you can get a federal GS position, take it and dont look back. You get military style job security wihtout ever going to iraq or another bivoack or forced move again.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:48 PM

3,992 posts, read 3,710,207 times
Get into federal government service somewhere and you can convert your time in the military to civil service time. Tough break, but it happens to a lot of good people. You might have to move to an area that is expensive, not popular, but just get your foot into the door. Move later on to a better place. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM

895 posts, read 258,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
If he got a job overseas, what would happen to us?
Depending on the company/contract, your family can go with him. If not, if he stays at least 1 year, it will be tax free (if he doesn't exceed the yearly salary cap), and the $$ he makes/sends home/saves may be the right incentive for him to be away from you for awhile. Just a suggestion.

A few people mentioned getting into the Civil Service. Remember, it is extremely difficult just to get your foot in the door (unless you have the right connections), so it is not as "easy" as it sounds.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 PM

181 posts, read 102,894 times
I did 12 years in the Army, Active Duty and got out as an E-7 back in the early 90s during that time of reduction of forces for Active Duty service members. I took terminal leave since I wanted to get into the civilian work force a.s.a.p. While applying for federal government jobs, I took a security job that paid approx half of my take home military pay, but had great benefits, which made it easier to deal with plus, not nearly all the BS you have to deal with in the Army... I forgot how great it was to only having to worry about yourself and your family!!

After a year, I interviewed for an entry level law enforcement position within the federal government and was hired. That position truly sucked, but by being in it, it was easier to springboard out and into a better position. After two more transfers, WITHOUT any breaks in service, I finally found the position I wanted to be in and retired as a GS-13 after another 21 years of service.

Note that in the federal government, you can buy-back all your Active Duty time and have that applied to your total years of federal service for retirement pay. I did 21 years as a civilian LEO and since I bought my 12 years +1.5 year after being activated while in the Army Reserve, I ended up with slighlty over 48% of my base pay for retirement. I also retired at the age of 52, which old in the military world, but pretty good in the civilian world.

Also, as stated several times, if possible, get into the Reserve or Guard as soon as possible AND with ANY branch, at ANY rank AND in ANY position!! To be honest, the Army Guard will be the easiest one to get into, but your husband needs realize that the Army life is TOTALLY different than life in the Air Force... Basically it's much harder and well... Simply more military... This isn't a put down to the Air Force, it's just a fact that needs to be realized in order to deal with it.

The point being is that he only has to knock out six more (good) years to get a military pension, even if you have to wait till you're 60 to get it, which is far better than not having a military pension at all. If the Army Guard offers him infantry, artillery, a truck driver or any other position, he needs to jump on it and suck it up for the needed 6 years.

Having a federal or any local/State pension WITH a Reserve/Guard pension is really a great thing to have for the future.

Also, know that the transition will have its ups and downs for about a year. Just know that it will all work out in the end. In my case, leaving Active Duty was the smartest thing I ever did since I now have a far better pension from my federal government position... If I stayed on Active Duty, at best, I would have made E-8 or W-3, at best.

Tell your husband to use this valuable time now to seek out and apply for as many positions he can right now!! And again, just know that everything will be OK in the end. Trust me, there is life AFTER the military!!

Good luck to you all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues