U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:31 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,711,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Having a federal or any local/State pension WITH a Reserve/Guard pension is really a great thing to have for the future.
This is absolutely true. I was able to retire at age 60 because both my wife and myself had a state pension and I had a Guard pension. Retired life is much easier when you're pulling in a five figure pension income every month.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM

611 posts, read 637,843 times
Alot of military vets and otherwise come to the San Antonio ,Texas area.There is no state personal income tax, houses are priced fairly decent, and there is various industries here including aviation. A lot of people who are military live out near Randolph AFB, I know because i work for the local school district and many employees are either retired military or married to current or retired milatary.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM

27,767 posts, read 43,625,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Alot of military vets and otherwise come to the San Antonio ,Texas area.There is no state personal income tax, houses are priced fairly decent, and there is various industries here including aviation. A lot of people who are military live out near Randolph AFB, I know because i work for the local school district and many employees are either retired military or married to current or retired milatary.
A buddy of mine recently retired from the Navy, after he retired he got a government job working at Lackland AFB. So he moved to San Antonio. The last time that we spoke he seemed to be shocked that I was able to afford to buy a house and support a family on my E6 pension, while he is relying on his government job to support him in the San Antonio area.

Obviously I do not pay income taxes either.

Home prices may appear 'fairly decent' assuming that you have a high paying job.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 PM

2,549 posts, read 5,996,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
They won't accept you in the guard or reserves if you have a disability. Hubby has sleep apnea He's already asked
A waiver is a possibility. Find a CO or first shirt who you can convince NEEDS him. There are ways around regs.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,565,861 times
OP,

Maybe he can also look into the USPS. From what I've been told they like to hire veterans. Veterans get 5 extra points on their test and those 5 points can make a big difference. He can also "buy back" his time in service towards retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
This is absolutely true. I was able to retire at age 60 because both my wife and myself had a state pension and I had a Guard pension. Retired life is much easier when you're pulling in a five figure pension income every month.
I always thought you were much younger than retirement age. LOL. Not sure why but your posts just always sounded like we were the same age (37).

Old 08-13-2017, 03:07 PM

3,919 posts, read 3,557,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A buddy of mine recently retired from the Navy, after he retired he got a government job working at Lackland AFB. So he moved to San Antonio. The last time that we spoke he seemed to be shocked that I was able to afford to buy a house and support a family on my E6 pension, while he is relying on his government job to support him in the San Antonio area.

Home prices may appear 'fairly decent' assuming that you have a high paying job.
San Antonio is not a cheap place to live. It is a very nice large city with Texas sprawl. It isn't quaint Downeast Maine. Trying to compare life and costs in the two places is like comparing bananas and a necktie.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:29 PM

27,767 posts, read 43,625,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
San Antonio is not a cheap place to live. It is a very nice large city with Texas sprawl. It isn't quaint Downeast Maine. Trying to compare life and costs in the two places is like comparing bananas and a necktie.
That was my impression.

I wanted to retire on my military pension, so I had to go somewhere it is possible.

He on the other hand, never even considered trying to support his family on his pension.

Thinking 'houses are priced fairly decent' in San Antonio only works if you still have a high income.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 307,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

My wife and I's military pensions are great, but we both are on our second careers because we are used to a certain standard of living and we like "stuff", hence the need to continue working for extra income.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 AM

3,919 posts, read 3,557,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
My wife and I's military pensions are great, but we both are on our second careers because we are used to a certain standard of living and we like "stuff", hence the need to continue working for extra income.

Yes and that is generally the way of things. I know several soldiers retiring with active duty pensions that continue to work. Most often as a contractor as that career generally provides the most income and the least benefits (health care for one maybe). The fact that they are collecting a pension and have tri-care for health insurance makes it easy to do. Some people like Submariner have had it with the hustle and bustle of big city life and elect to go nearly off the grid and some completely off the grid. It is a to each his own. Personally I applaud Submariner to being able to deal with relative isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues