U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:23 PM

2,837 posts, read 8,112,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
They both pretty much said I can't join and quickly hung up the phone. But I'm hoping I can do Navy.
They can't refuse to do a waiver. They prefer to work with people who don't need waivers, but if you ask for a waiver, they can't refuse to do it. The commander can disapprove it, but the recruiter MUST try. They're obligated to run the waiver IF you ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 PM

507 posts, read 204,885 times
I think before you try the Navy, you speak with the AF recruiters again. I could be wrong, but it's not the recruiter's call if you can receive a waiver. I know the AF doesn't give out many waivers, but you should still apply for one to see if it will be waived. If this happened a year ago, you were a minor, you were found not guilty after going through a diversion program, I guess the arrest is still there, but you don't have a criminal record. The only concern is getting a security clearance, but I seriously doubt petty theft would disqualify you from that in perpetuity.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 PM

925 posts, read 264,551 times
That's weird. I had an "expunged" record as a juvenile, told the AF recruiter about it and I was still able to join. But then again, this was back in 1990 and I don't recall if I received a waiver or they just didn't pursue "looking" for my record. Was also able to get my security clearance.

Maybe you should talk to another AF recruiter, but then again, I don't know if they preside over specific districts.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 PM

507 posts, read 204,885 times
Quote:
Also, you could NOT have been found not guilty through diversion. Those are legally two separate things. Diversion is a consequence. This can be dropped, dismissed, noelle prosequi, but NOT "not guilty." It could be that the recruiters are confused or doubt your story since it's literally impossible to be found not guilty through diversion. Those who stand trial and are found not guilty do not have consequences or adjudication. Diversion is a type of adjudication. Figure out what really happened before you approach the next recruiter. Dropped charges are not the same as not guilty. Dismissed charges are not the same as not guilty.
This makes sense. I was scratching my head at that, but I thought maybe they do things differently in Florida (where the OP appears to live). I'm curious, just as information: would someone need a waiver for charges that were dismissed and their record expunged? If the matter was basically settled, is it a moral waiver? The only other issue I can see is if one of the conditions of the diversion is a period of time without getting into any more trouble, and that amount of time might not have passed yet.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM

2,837 posts, read 8,112,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
This makes sense. I was scratching my head at that, but I thought maybe they do things differently in Florida (where the OP appears to live). I'm curious, just as information: would someone need a waiver for charges that were dismissed and their record expunged? If the matter was basically settled, is it a moral waiver? The only other issue I can see is if one of the conditions of the diversion is a period of time without getting into any more trouble, and that amount of time might not have passed yet.
They do NOT need a waiver if they went to trial and were found not-guilty. They DO need a waiver if they did diversion. Diversion is considered a type of adjudication. The Air Force views it as Diversion=guilt. You did it, and the court imposed a consequence- but they cut you a break with diversion/dropped/dismissed. It doesn't mean you didn't do the crime, it means the court went easy on you. The waiver isn't needed based on court outcome as much as it is needed because an individual committed a crime and now has their character in question. Courts don't give diversion to people who are innocent.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Exo Exo started this thread

10 posts, read 4,350 times
Oh, then it must have been dropped. Sorry about that. But I do know some people in the Air Force that have connections to recruiters so I could speak with them and try that. But the recruiters I talked to said since it wasn't before I was 13 I couldn't join. But I did not tell them it was through diversion, I stated my charges were dropped. And then they said no and try the Army. It was all over the phone which was maybe why they were quick to rush me off. But would I still have a shot if it was through Diversion? I could call again but the 2 recruiters i called rushed me off before i could even ask for a possibility of a waiver.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Exo Exo started this thread

10 posts, read 4,350 times
I also have an excellent academic record as well and did a program at the community college in my district to start college my senior which I did do and complete and now have a 3.9 college GPA. This is the only the holding me back from the Air Force which sucks. Hopefully, I can find a way in the AF. If not, then I'll need to try the navy.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:43 PM

38 posts, read 12,030 times
ask the local police to give you a background report or criminal history or whatever they call it.

since your history is an issue, see what it says.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 AM

412 posts, read 146,633 times
If this is what you want keep at it and exhaust all possibilities before giving up.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 AM

22,754 posts, read 34,365,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
Oh, then it must have been dropped. Sorry about that. But I do know some people in the Air Force that have connections to recruiters so I could speak with them and try that. But the recruiters I talked to said since it wasn't before I was 13 I couldn't join. But I did not tell them it was through diversion, I stated my charges were dropped. And then they said no and try the Army. It was all over the phone which was maybe why they were quick to rush me off. But would I still have a shot if it was through Diversion? I could call again but the 2 recruiters i called rushed me off before i could even ask for a possibility of a waiver.
Sounds like you are providing recruiters with untrue statements. Yes, you can try a find someone in the Air Force that has connections to recruiters, good luck with that. You appear to be wasting some recruiters time, that's why they are brushing you off.

I do not think we are getting the entire true story here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues