Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Exo Exo started this thread

10 posts, read 9,498 times

Advertisements

I wanted to join the Air Force but due to an arrest for petty theft that was over a year ago, when I was a juvenile where I was found not guilty through a diversion program and had my record expunged, both recruiters I talked to in my area both denied me. Does anyone know if they Navy will accept me? These are the only 2 branches that I'm interested in, AF being the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,950,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
I wanted to join the Air Force but due to an arrest for petty theft that was over a year ago, when I was a juvenile where I was found not guilty through a diversion program and had my record expunged.
Did you volunteer the info about you being arrested for theft as a juvenile ? I would of not said anything because the record was expunged but I think they would of found out anyways.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-07-2017 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 07-07-2017, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure if they would have so I thought the best bet was, to be honest. The people I spoke to about my arrest record at the time it happened said only certain state agencies can access it and it only shows up as a blank file if they were to access it but I'm not sure. I haven't tried running an FBI background check on myself. I figured they would have valued honesty instead of my lying and trying to get away with it. But after reading some forums, the Air Force doesn't give many Waivers for stuff like this. Which really sucks since the Air Force was the branch that best fitted me. But hopefully, the Navy can take me.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Mind you I also called them over the phone and it was the pre-screening questions to see if I can qualify.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:57 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,820,998 times
Have you asked the possibility of getting a waiver or writing a letter of explanation or anything?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM

They both pretty much said I can't join and quickly hung up the phone. But I'm hoping I can do Navy.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,172,204 times
You can join the Navy if you've completed the terms of your diversion. It will be a waiver for Petty Theft which is easy to get assuming you don't have other baggage.

Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,625,808 times
Talk to a Navy recruiter.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM

My Plan is to talk to a recruiter on Monday. And it was all completed and that's the only thing on my record. I'll share what they tell me on Monday!

Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,287,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
I wanted to join the Air Force but due to an arrest for petty theft that was over a year ago, when I was a juvenile where I was found not guilty through a diversion program and had my record expunged, both recruiters I talked to in my area both denied me. Does anyone know if they Navy will accept me? These are the only 2 branches that I'm interested in, AF being the first.
Very odd. We do waivers for petty theft ALL the time (I'm an AF Recruiting supervisor currently serving). I've done dozens. It could be the local leadership. Reach out farther, to another squadron. Here is a list of squadrons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ting_squadrons. They each make their own rules, so reach out to a different one than the state you are currently in.

Also, you could NOT have been found not guilty through diversion. Those are legally two separate things. Diversion is a consequence. This can be dropped, dismissed, noelle prosequi, but NOT "not guilty." It could be that the recruiters are confused or doubt your story since it's literally impossible to be found not guilty through diversion. Those who stand trial and are found not guilty do not have consequences or adjudication. Diversion is a type of adjudication. Figure out what really happened before you approach the next recruiter. Dropped charges are not the same as not guilty. Dismissed charges are not the same as not guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues