U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 AM

22,565 posts, read 33,795,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
I retired in 2005, my husband retired just this year. Neither of us would be caught dead in our uniforms in retirement, functions or not.
Well goody for you and your husband...

For me (and my wife if needed):
1. A funeral for a fallen comrade.

2. A wedding for the child of a comrade who also joined the military.

3. It's been 37 years since my retirement, still in contact with some old friends. I would not have any qualms in helping them out if they asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:17 AM

27,401 posts, read 42,769,210 times
Last summer our youngest son graduated from his Army AIT school. He asked me to attend the ceremony to present him his awards. I gladly accepted.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 PM

31 posts, read 11,053 times
The exchange is not much of a benefit, and hasn't been for many years. Other than saving a few dollars in sales tax on the occasional moderate to big ticket item, they're simply not price competitive on the same items on the local market. In many cases they're actually more expensive, especially on brand name clothing, electronics, and photo equipment. I can beat most of their prices by 10% to 15% all day, any day. And as much as 20% to 30% when I hit a sale.

I've been shopping at them, all over the world, all of my life (which is more years than I care to think about). I was born and raised an "Army Brat", spent 21 years on active duty, and have been retired for nearly 30. When I was living overseas as a dependent, or stationed there on active duty they were a life saver. But in the States it's just not worth the bother.

We make the 60 mile round trip drive to the commissary every couple of months to stock up on shelf stable groceries and general household items. We save a ton of money there. We always go next door to the PX and browse for a while. Sometimes we pick up a few items, but as often as not leave without buying anything. Not only are the prices no better, but the selection is not as good as off post department and big box stores.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM

27,401 posts, read 42,769,210 times
We have an Exchange and a Commissary in a nearby city. My Dw worked at the Commissary until last summer when she retired. Working there 6 days a week she was on top of all the sale prices, and still we bought most of our food off-base. Grocery shopping on the local economy is often less expensive.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:38 AM

18 posts, read 3,843 times
Indianapolis kept an exchange and commissary after Ft Ben Harrison was closed (BRAC)

Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 AM

3,161 posts, read 1,452,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
Indianapolis kept an exchange and commissary after Ft Ben Harrison was closed (BRAC)
Are they still open?

Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 AM

18 posts, read 3,843 times
yes, I believe so.

https://www.commissaries.com/stores/...?dodaac=HQCCAJ

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

839 posts, read 801,123 times
Here's a link to the signup Website, for those who are interested. They're asking me to submit my DD214.

https://www.vetverify.org

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,104,392 times
Vietnam vet service 4 years service and honorable discharge. Got my discharge and DD214 in my records. Have VA card and went to college on my benefits. Tried to sign up online and they have no record. Advised may be due to vet record files in Missouri destroyed by fire in 1973 which destroyed 16 million records or my records may have not yet been digitalized, or conditions of discharge not enumerated. Anyone else have this problem?

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 5,549,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Vietnam vet service 4 years service and honorable discharge. Got my discharge and DD214 in my records. Have VA card and went to college on my benefits. Tried to sign up online and they have no record. Advised may be due to vet record files in Missouri destroyed by fire in 1973 which destroyed 16 million records or my records may have not yet been digitalized, or conditions of discharge not enumerated. Anyone else have this problem?
that is the excuse I was given when I tried to get my medical records; "They must have burned in the fire!"
Oddly enough, over 20 years later, I tried again, and suddenly ALL the medical records from Tripler Army Hospital in Honolulu appeared and copies were sent to me.
amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues