U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 PM

19,073 posts, read 13,528,864 times

Advertisements

It's like they're at summer camp:

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/vid...5693219858606/

Their stuff laid out for them. I can't get over that. Their fricken stuff laid out for them. And they still whine?!

We had a gigantic duffel on the front and a giant duffel on the back getting yelled at from the moment the Drill Sgt. got on to the bus to tell us what to do, all the way up the hill, to the drill pad of our new home for the next 18 weeks where we stood and did not move until we were told. One person set her stuff down....that was a mistake.

Once we got done being yelled at, weighed, measured, yelled at, made to do countless pushups because we existed wrong, yelled at some more, we were then ordered to run up the stairs to our platoon barracks and we had to make our own beds and put our own stuff away according to how they wanted it. Metal cots. No hydraulic beds.

I cannot believe they don't have to go through that...and they still complain. What are they complaining about? They didn't get a chocolate on their pillow?

Unfrickenreal. Bunch of softies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,285,920 times
I guess times change. When I went through Marine Corps boot camp during Vietnam we lived in squad tents and corrugated sheet metal Quonset Huts.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,844,182 times
Unbelievable! We stood in line to get everything issued. Washers and dryers? We had a wash rack where we scrubbed our clothing with a brush and then we let it air dry. Private shower stalls? Ours were wide open. Private toilet stall? We had a row of open toilets. A fan? No fan for us. Wall lockers? We had one foot locker. Single beds? We had metal-framed bunk beds. I wonder if they have maid service to make their beds. We made our own racks and if the DI couldn't bounce a quarter on it, it was torn apart and we had to make it again. Definitely more plush than I had it in the Marine Corps.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 AM

37,364 posts, read 40,944,844 times
Back in the 1950's this was pretty much what our latrines were like. And everyone, at least once, had the privilege of cleaning them.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:27 AM

4,765 posts, read 4,753,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Back in the 1950's this was pretty much what our latrines were like. And everyone, at least once, had the privilege of cleaning them.
Why they not give you partitions? That is cruel to make you poo in front of anyone else, and wipe your hole in front of everyone else.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 AM

8,962 posts, read 2,117,291 times
Quote:
..................and I bet the guys from WWI and II would sit there and tell all of you how easy you all had it! Times change ,simple.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,520,830 times
Quote:
Yep, looks like 1957.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,196,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Unbelievable! We stood in line to get everything issued. Washers and dryers? We had a wash rack where we scrubbed our clothing with a brush and then we let it air dry. Private shower stalls? Ours were wide open. Private toilet stall? We had a row of open toilets. A fan? No fan for us. Wall lockers? We had one foot locker. Single beds? We had metal-framed bunk beds. I wonder if they have maid service to make their beds. We made our own racks and if the DI couldn't bounce a quarter on it, it was torn apart and we had to make it again. Definitely more plush than I had it in the Marine Corps.
my niece graduated from air force bmt last summer and we got to tour the bays.

The main thing that stood out to me were the washers and dryers! Right there in the bay with them. I was on the laundry detail for my row so we had to cart everyone's stuff down stairs and then to a big laundry area.

And the bathroom stalls were all stainless steel - which to me is a bad idea. All smeared and messy looking. I couldn't believe they were not shiny and clean. They don't even use a buffer now.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,693,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

And the bathroom stalls were all stainless steel - which to me is a bad idea. All smeared and messy looking. I couldn't believe they were not shiny and clean. They don't even use a buffer now.

Ha! Before I went to Basic I had never made a bed, swept a floor or actually clean anything. I was quite the object of curiosity, as they were to me. So, one night I had to buff the day room and the Command offices. I started in the CO's office with my DS supervising me. I was 103 lbs soaking wet and my DS yelled, "Just start already!"; so, I did.

The buffer and I went flying about the packed office. Everything went flying and things were smashed. DS yanked the cord from the wall (I was still riding the buffer). Ha! For once NOTHING came out of her mouth.

She made me sit out on the ground out of the offices, whilst she had 3 other trainees come and straighten the office. She thought she would humiliate me but, I've always had a twisted sense of humor. The other guys thought the whole thing was funny since I had destroyed the CO's office.

I did learn how to work the buffer when we moved the bunks in our bay to do the whole floor. I became the buffer go to in our PLT.

OSUT was hard, but around the 6th week we all started to have fun, and I ended up marrying my Basic boyfriend. We've been together 32 years and will be married 30 years in August; we have grown sons and 3 grandchildren.

DH became a DS and spouses we allowed to come to fill days. Things had changed quite a bit from our time, but it was something to watch the DSs circle like sharks in the water. We would see a Pvt do something stupid and wait for the blood in the water.

DH Retired from The Army after 23 years. We have close friends from the Army and still have 4 or 5 friends from Basic. The army gave us a great life and it all started in Basic.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,454,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Ha! Before I went to Basic I had never made a bed, swept a floor or actually clean anything. I was quite the object of curiosity, as they were to me. So, one night I had to buff the day room and the Command offices. I started in the CO's office with my DS supervising me. I was 103 lbs soaking wet and my DS yelled, "Just start already!"; so, I did.

The buffer and I went flying about the packed office. Everything went flying and things were smashed. DS yanked the cord from the wall (I was still riding the buffer). Ha! For once NOTHING came out of her mouth.
This is how my generation has failed yours. Not making kids work for anything sets them up for a shock when they get to the real world. My Ex and I are not on the same page regarding this at all.

Hilarious story btw, and thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues