U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,813 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi, my daughter was asked to go back to MEPS 3 times for her vision. 1st time the MEPS eye doctor said she had to return back a 2nd time because she has astigmatism and they want to make sure she does not have keratoconus. So she went back a 2nd time to MEPS and the doctor said she had to return a 3rd time because he thought she may have early signs of keratoconus. So back to MEPS she went a 3rd time and the eye doctor said she did NOT have keratoconus but that she would need a waiver for her astigmatism. My daughter said MEPS sent a file with waiver stamped on it to the officials and it came back denied within 2 hours. Her astigmatism was a 6.25 and she was told the standard is 6.0. While completing the medical forms at the recruiters office we told him about her astigmatism, he told her not to list it because it would require a lot more paperwork for him and MEPS will see she has astigmatism anyway and a waiver would be requested at that time.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct, the astigmatism 6.0 standard?
Can we get a copy of the denial letter?
Is this something we can appeal?
If she gets lasik surgery to correct her astigmatism will this automatically disqualify her in the future?

She is devastated over this, she kept going back because she had hope & enlisting in the Navy was something she's truly wanted.

Last edited by Lxrnyv05; 07-20-2017 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2017, 06:46 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,086 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
Page 14 of the regulation here, http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/...0.03_JUL12.pdf.

The limit is 3.0, not 6.0. Your daughter is almost 2x the limit. No branch is going to give her a waiver.

Unfortunately, surgery will not help, as you can see in the regulation that this includes PRE-SURGICAL numbers as well. This is because astigmatism that severe is an indicator of possible later in life eye issues that the military does not want to be dealing with.

There are no appeals past the SG process. The SG was the appeal for MEPS, and is the final authority.

I'm so sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 02:59 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,193 times
Reputation: 11
my son in law just breceived the news that he has been deinied into the air force because of austigmutisum, the waiver DENIED! that is crazy he wears corrective lenses for it! He didnt want to fly the jets! millions of Americans have that condition! He is truly devestated! Is there anything he can do? Will the same thing happen if he tries a different branch? This is so unfair for someone who wants it so bad for himself and his family!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,086 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxrnyv05 View Post
Hi, my daughter was asked to go back to MEPS 3 times for her vision. 1st time the MEPS eye doctor said she had to return back a 2nd time because she has astigmatism and they want to make sure she does not have keratoconus. So she went back a 2nd time to MEPS and the doctor said she had to return a 3rd time because he thought she may have early signs of keratoconus. So back to MEPS she went a 3rd time and the eye doctor said she did NOT have keratoconus but that she would need a waiver for her astigmatism. My daughter said MEPS sent a file with waiver stamped on it to the officials and it came back denied within 2 hours. Her astigmatism was a 6.25 and she was told the standard is 6.0. While completing the medical forms at the recruiters office we told him about her astigmatism, he told her not to list it because it would require a lot more paperwork for him and MEPS will see she has astigmatism anyway and a waiver would be requested at that time.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct, the astigmatism 6.0 standard?
Can we get a copy of the denial letter?
Is this something we can appeal?
If she gets lasik surgery to correct her astigmatism will this automatically disqualify her in the future?

She is devastated over this, she kept going back because she had hope & enlisting in the Navy was something she's truly wanted.
An Astigmatism of 3 is the standard, please see page 12 of this regulation: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Do...di/613003p.pdf.
They'll sometimes waive it to 6. You're daughter's is WAY worse than the standard, and is a little worse than the maximum we will waive it to.

You can't appeal it. You already appealed it. The waiver process is the appeal. It was denied. There are no higher levels.

Surgery will not help. If you see the regulation I sent it says that you're disqualified if you have "(b) Pre-surgical astigmatism exceeded 3.00 diopters."... PRE-SURGICAL. This is because Lasik surgery is no permanent and long-term success is less likely with a huge astigmatism.
Also, bottom of page 11, astigmatic keratotomy surgery is also disqualifying.

I'm sorry. Your daughter can try the other branches, but the result will likely be the same. She'll need to find an alternative path to a life in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,086 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentingler View Post
my son in law just breceived the news that he has been deinied into the air force because of austigmutisum, the waiver DENIED! that is crazy he wears corrective lenses for it! He didnt want to fly the jets! millions of Americans have that condition! He is truly devestated! Is there anything he can do? Will the same thing happen if he tries a different branch? This is so unfair for someone who wants it so bad for himself and his family!!!!
I realized I replied to the OP, not you, but please see my reply as it also applies to your situation.

It's not unfair.
The standard is applied fairly, to everyone.
Millions of people have astigmatisms, and they get approved because of the degree being low.
Severe astigmatisms aren't approved, for anyone.

Severe astigmatisms can lead to a condition called Keratoconus, Keratoconus can cause severe scarring, corneal tearing, needs for surgery, black spots in vision, ghosting, severe light sensitivity, and eventually blindness. How is it unfair that the military won't take someone that is likely to develop this condition, become unable to serve, go on disability, and cost the military and taxpayers untold money in medical treatment?

Astigmatisms over 3 have risks of future eye and vision problems. Astigmatisms over 6 have probabilities of future problems, and therefore aren't waivered for people to join the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Status: "Work was definately overrated" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,617 posts, read 4,275,492 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I realized I replied to the OP, not you, but please see my reply as it also applies to your situation.

It's not unfair.
The standard is applied fairly, to everyone.
Millions of people have astigmatisms, and they get approved because of the degree being low.
Severe astigmatisms aren't approved, for anyone.

Severe astigmatisms can lead to a condition called Keratoconus, Keratoconus can cause severe scarring, corneal tearing, needs for surgery, black spots in vision, ghosting, severe light sensitivity, and eventually blindness. How is it unfair that the military won't take someone that is likely to develop this condition, become unable to serve, go on disability, and cost the military and taxpayers untold money in medical treatment?

Astigmatisms over 3 have risks of future eye and vision problems. Astigmatisms over 6 have probabilities of future problems, and therefore aren't waivered for people to join the military.
You are so right. They apply to everyone. I have astigmatism and I served for a very long time (37+ years). I don't know what my number was or is but I know it wasn't high because I didn't need a waiver. I could not be a fighter pilot but I could be a gunner or almost any other occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top