U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM

27,669 posts, read 43,433,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
... Do you think it was really as bad as they say?
I see no reason to doubt any of the testimony that was given.

I was sexually assaulted in the Navy in the 1970s. Those things did happen.

During my career, I served two tours of Law Enforcement in the Navy. When I was functioning as Navy Police, I was around during some sexual assault investigations. I do not believe these assaults are any 'worse' in the military than they are in the civilian culture. What happens in the military is often a reflection of society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:08 PM

40 posts, read 12,421 times
My first assignment was Davis-Monthan in Tucson. In addition to a regular A-10 flying squadron we also had a training squadron. When my friend and I were walking around the BX, Gym, Comissary if we saw a group of pilots (2nd Lts) we'd walk straight toward them just to make them salute because we knew they hated it.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:38 PM

14,908 posts, read 7,405,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston 2025 View Post
I am a female and was in the AF (12 years) in munitions - who can be equally crude. I was stationed in southern California when Tailhook happened. I'm not saying what they was okay, but dang the women were stupid. There's no way in hell I would have ever walked down a dark hallway lined with drunk pilots. Pilots are the cockiest things I have ever met. Women have got to use some common sense. I saw a lot of things that if they had happened in the last 10 years would've have ended their career, some with jail time. Back then, not so much.
About that same time, I was in Okinawa. We'd sent a detachment to Hickam and one of our pilots got sent home for "ballwalking" in the O-club. That is, he'd zipped down his flight suit, hung his genitals out in the breeze, and danced back and forth on the bar.

I was standing there when the light colonel who was our squadron ops got the message. He looked shocked and said, "They sent him home for that?"

But, I dunno, I'm from that generation but was raised to keep my hands off the wimmenfolk. I was just an enlisted moke, but seems to me the "officers and gentlemen" should have gotten at least as much training in OCS as I got at home.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 PM

27,669 posts, read 43,433,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
About that same time, I was in Okinawa. We'd sent a detachment to Hickam and one of our pilots got sent home for "ballwalking" in the O-club. That is, he'd zipped down his flight suit, hung his genitals out in the breeze, and danced back and forth on the bar.

I was standing there when the light colonel who was our squadron ops got the message. He looked shocked and said, "They sent him home for that?"

But, I dunno, I'm from that generation but was raised to keep my hands off the wimmenfolk. I was just an enlisted moke, but seems to me the "officers and gentlemen" should have gotten at least as much training in OCS as I got at home.
Maybe folks at Hickam were more sensitive?

On my last boat [USS Alaska SSBN732] they had a written policy that required everyone to wear flip-flops and a towel while transiting between berthing and the showers. I always wore both, though my towel was usually hung around my neck.

I got yelled at a few times, but I was never written up for it.

I always tried to comply with written policy.

On my first boat [USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654] we were in the shipyard for an overhaul, when one day the CO put out word that the next day's muster was going to be out on the pier and he wanted everyone to wear a hard hat and safety shoes. I thought it was odd since entry into the shipyard required hard hat and safety shoes, so I asked for clarification, and it was repeated. So the next morning when we mustered on the pier there I was in hard hat and safety shoes. Then they got upset, saying that they wanted us in complete uniforms along with the hard hats and safety shoes. Sometimes they just can not make up their minds.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:10 AM

3,830 posts, read 3,505,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

On my last boat [USS Alaska SSBN732] they had a written policy that required everyone to wear flip-flops and a towel while transiting between berthing and the showers. I always wore both, though my towel was usually hung around my neck.

On my first boat [USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654] we were in the shipyard for an overhaul, when one day the CO put out word that the next day's muster was going to be out on the pier and he wanted everyone to wear a hard hat and safety shoes. I thought it was odd since entry into the shipyard required hard hat and safety shoes, so I asked for clarification, and it was repeated. So the next morning when we mustered on the pier there I was in hard hat and safety shoes. Then they got upset, saying that they wanted us in complete uniforms along with the hard hats and safety shoes. Sometimes they just can not make up their minds.
you are a silly man. LOL I bet you tried out for the Village People too.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Okay, now that is too funny. I have a similar story... While at DMAFB I was standing in the dorm hallway talking to a guy named Joe and our 1st Sgt. After awhile Joe says he needs to go take a shower. He goes into his room, comes out with nothing but a towel over his arm and a bar of soap in his hand and proceeds down the hall to the showers. I thought I was going to die! The 1st Sgt just stood there laughing his butt off at my embarrassment. I still think of that sometimes...

Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM

14,908 posts, read 7,405,279 times
Quote:

Quote:
Okay, now that is too funny. I have a similar story... While at DMAFB I was standing in the dorm hallway talking to a guy named Joe and our 1st Sgt. After awhile Joe says he needs to go take a shower. He goes into his room, comes out with nothing but a towel over his arm and a bar of soap in his hand and proceeds down the hall to the showers. I thought I was going to die! The 1st Sgt just stood there laughing his butt off at my embarrassment. I still think of that sometimes...
Now, unless you guys are gals, these stories strike me from yesteryear as "what was wrong with that?" in the same way that my old Korean War veteran colonel was struck with "what was wrong with that?" when a pilot was chastised for ballwalking.

When I was in basic, walking around in the all-together was not uncommon.

But then, when I was a kid, swimming naked at the YMCA pool wasn't uncommon, either.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:32 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,646,735 times
Quote:
So, I was an MP in the 109th MP Co in 1985 (our PX complex was bombed that year). In either 85 or 86 Caspar Weinberger was at the Abrams Complex (V Corps HQ) and he was at our guard mount to inspect us before day shift.

There we were, in formation when our PlT Sgt suddenly bellowed "attitude check!". We shifted in place but, remained silent.

Plt Sgt again yelled "attitude check!". So, we did the only thing we knew; the Topper Club would yell this and the answer was "F*@# you!".

As you can guess, this was not was our Plt Sgt had in mind. He wanted us to bellow something like " motivated, dedicated Sgt!". We would have done so, if the idiot had let us in on his own. Luckily, Weinberger was in the mood for a laugh and we didn't get in trouble( Sgt wasn't so lucky). It is a fun memory and every so often I bring it out and have a good laugh. "Attitude Check!".

Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Ralph_Kirk - I am a gal. Half the first floor and the second and third floors of the barracks were the guys and the other half of the first floor was the gals. And back then god forbid, we had communal bathroom/showers. To think now they have their own room and bathroom with a mini kitchen...

Old Today, 09:23 AM

514 posts, read 206,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
...it only affected me because we had to ALL go through extra training because of it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. How did Tailhook affect me? Mandatory sexual harassment/assault training, twice a year, for the next GAZILLION years.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues