U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 AM

983 posts, read 356,972 times

Advertisements

Apparently, more than 100 U.S. Navy and United States Marine Corps aviation officers were alleged to have sexually assaulted 83 women and 7 men, or otherwise engaged in "improper and indecent" conduct at the Las Vegas Hilton in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Do you think it was really as bad as they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 AM

4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
I read this thread and thought back to the time when this was news. It has been a number of years but not so long ago that it doesn't still affect me. I will give you my opinion as it has not changed one bit. Those officers were wrong and needed to be punished to the full extent of the law. Military service as officers and senior leaders has enough trouble without adding on stupidity.

I was and still consider myself a senior leader and a non-commissioned officer. I made a career in the military and I am proud of my service. I consider the action of those officers and leaders to be detrimental and criminal. If I had heard or seen any actions like that I would have been a whistleblower. I am thankful I didn't have to witness it. In nearly a 40 year career I have had some good leaders and bad but none were like that at all. So I guess the point here is that it was such a small group of people that it was a blip. But the actions were such that it had to be reported so as to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:40 AM

41,310 posts, read 46,188,553 times
As a old River Rat in 'Nam I believe some, most, things are tolerable. These actions were not among them although it is difficult to tell when a mass orgy becomes a mass rape.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 AM

7,749 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Wasn't there when it happened but I was in the service at the time. While the believe such attacks took place and warranted punishments, I feel the old saying "the tale grows taller on down the line" comes into play here. How much of what was reported actually happened and how much was gross exaggeration will never be known.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:22 PM

46 posts, read 15,452 times
I am a female and was in the AF (12 years) in munitions - who can be equally crude. I was stationed in southern California when Tailhook happened. I'm not saying what they was okay, but dang the women were stupid. There's no way in hell I would have ever walked down a dark hallway lined with drunk pilots. Pilots are the cockiest things I have ever met. Women have got to use some common sense. I saw a lot of things that if they had happened in the last 10 years would've have ended their career, some with jail time. Back then, not so much.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 PM

4,322 posts, read 7,025,524 times
I'm going to refrain from commenting on it as it would probably get the thread moved or closed.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,431,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm going to refrain from commenting on it as it would probably get the thread moved or closed.

Then why even make a comment lol

I was in the navy back then. it was a bunch of officers and it only affected me because we had to ALL go through extra training because of it.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,257,669 times
I was in the Army thinking that our clubs looked nothing like the women going after a pilot in An Officer And A Gentleman or the party scene in Top Gun. If there was any truth in the fictional portrayal of aviators getting the rock star treatment I could see why they got in trouble at a convention

Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,025,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Then why even make a comment lol

I was in the navy back then. it was a bunch of officers and it only affected me because we had to ALL go through extra training because of it.
Same reason you commented on my comment?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 5 days ago)

18,281 posts, read 12,022,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston 2025 View Post
I am a female and was in the AF (12 years) in munitions - who can be equally crude. I was stationed in southern California when Tailhook happened. I'm not saying what they was okay, but dang the women were stupid. There's no way in hell I would have ever walked down a dark hallway lined with drunk pilots. Pilots are the cockiest things I have ever met. Women have got to use some common sense. I saw a lot of things that if they had happened in the last 10 years would've have ended their career, some with jail time. Back then, not so much.
I agree on all counts! They want to call it "victim blaming" if anyone hints that common sense would have went a long way and/or personal responsibility, but I never had an issue that could not be addressed with a look or a sentence or two.

I never cared much for officers (my older son is now a LTC) in general, but being enlisted, it was easy enough to almost totally avoid them. The military is made up of people from every venue in life, anyone who hasn't been in the military can never understand how things work, it is not the real world.

As my status says "Respect is not a right, it is something you have to earn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues