U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:52 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,032,207 times

Advertisements

As a 26 year Navy Veteran I want to echo what has been said already. Go to a college that has a NROTC program and join as an Officer. There are ways to make it from enlisted to officer but there are many roadblocks and there are many more who don't get selected then there are those that apply and get selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 AM

2,455 posts, read 3,939,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not kind of silly, they will promote you to officer right off the bat just because you went to college?

If you want them young, then lower enlistment age, or just pick enlisted after two years in who show promise, and send them to OCS.
That's not what's happening and is a strawman argument. They are commissioning you as an officer because you meet the prerequisites. Only one of those prerequisites is a college degree. There are also precommissioning training and education gates (e.g. NROTC) that must be met.

Enlisted/NCO and officer in the US system should not be thought of as 'lesser' and 'greater', despite the pay difference. They are two separate tracks with two separate, but equally important, purposes. Any service would grind to a halt without NCOs; any service would grind to a halt without officers.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,881,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not kind of silly, they will promote you to officer right off the bat just because you went to college?

If you want them young, then lower enlistment age, or just pick enlisted after two years in who show promise, and send them to OCS.
Being an Officer is completely different than being enlisted. Prior enlisted time has zero bearing on how good of an Officer you are. They're two different jobs that attract different people.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM

28,057 posts, read 44,121,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Being an Officer is completely different than being enlisted. Prior enlisted time has zero bearing on how good of an Officer you are. They're two different jobs that attract different people.
My career field being what it was, I was only exposed to mustangs during shore-duty, and that was pretty limited.

It seemed to me that mustangs had less of a stick up their behind as compared to academy ring-knockers.

However they are completely different career paths, that would only cross if they met at the O club.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
This couldn't be further from the truth...being an enlisted military member can add perspective, knowledge, and experience that a kid right out of college would not have. A more senior officer that has never been enlisted does not fully understand the challenges enlisted military members face. This can be a huge benefit and definitely has a bearing on how good of an officer you are (can be for better or worse).

Officer positions do not attract "different people", they simply have different requirements to qualify. Similar to a Nuke needing different qualifications then a Boatswains Mate.

At the risk of generalizing, the best officers I served with and under were aviators or prior enlisted.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM

28,057 posts, read 44,121,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
... At the risk of generalizing, the best officers I served with and under were aviators or prior enlisted.
Sadly, I think there are different views as to what constitutes 'best' among officers.

The 'best' in terms of the Personnel Evaluation the CO signs, or the 'best' in terms of the NCOs who must work under each officer.

As an NCO, the officers I have worked with who were the most personable were the mustangs. But I really doubt if any of those mustangs were seen as the 'best' from within the wardroom.

But those are merely the views of a peasant looking into the wardroom, and not the views of nobility who live within the court.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,881,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
This couldn't be further from the truth...being an enlisted military member can add perspective, knowledge, and experience that a kid right out of college would not have. A more senior officer that has never been enlisted does not fully understand the challenges enlisted military members face. This can be a huge benefit and definitely has a bearing on how good of an officer you are (can be for better or worse).

Officer positions do not attract "different people", they simply have different requirements to qualify. Similar to a Nuke needing different qualifications then a Boatswains Mate.

At the risk of generalizing, the best officers I served with and under were aviators or prior enlisted.
I'm not here to argue.

I've lived both lives and can tell you from experience that being prior enlisted means nothing. You start with a clean slate at O-1. No one would care if you were the prior MCPON once you put on butter bars. Your experience while enlisted might earn you some brownie points with your division but will mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Your CO will definitely not give a crap when he's doing your FITREP if you were prior enlisted. You get ranked along with everyone else.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to argue.

I've lived both lives and can tell you from experience that being prior enlisted means nothing. You start with a clean slate at O-1. No one would care if you were the prior MCPON once you put on butter bars. Your experience while enlisted might earn you some brownie points with your division but will mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Your CO will definitely not give a crap when he's doing your FITREP if you were prior enlisted. You get ranked along with everyone else.
So short sighted...

How about making you more effective and efficient at your job? It has nothing to do with how good you politic and fit-in with the wardroom that leads to your fitrep. However, the experience, knowledge, and understanding gained in the enlisted ranks is of value just like every other experience and education you've achieved in your life.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM

150 posts, read 144,065 times
The question remains is the OP ready for the academic and financial challenges of college? If not then all of the recommendations in the world urging him to attend college and enroll in NROTC aren't going to get him through college and earn his commission as a Naval Officer. If he is so be it, if not then he's wasting his time. While you "old salts" have been arguing about who makes the best officer did you notice that the OP hasn't responded since July 30th? I wonder if he's still interested in a commission or has been distracted by another shiny object?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM

23,006 posts, read 35,239,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
While you "old salts" have been arguing about who makes the best officer did you notice that the OP hasn't responded since July 30th? I wonder if he's still interested in a commission or has been distracted by another shiny object?
I have noticed. I am not an "old salt" I am a retired U.S. Army Soldier. I can also close the thread. I prefer to not do that unless I have a specific legitimate reason to do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues