U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM

22,868 posts, read 34,658,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not kind of silly, they will promote you to officer right off the bat just because you went to college?
No. It is not silly. It is not "off the bat"... There is some work to do...

Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,895,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
The question remains is the OP ready for the academic and financial challenges of college? If not then all of the recommendations in the world urging him to attend college and enroll in NROTC aren't going to get him through college and earn his commission as a Naval Officer. If he is so be it, if not then he's wasting his time. While you "old salts" have been arguing about who makes the best officer did you notice that the OP hasn't responded since July 30th? I wonder if he's still interested in a commission or has been distracted by another shiny object?
I'm an "old salt" and proud of it.

Great point...there are many out there that would make great officers but don't have the resources or ability to attend and succeed in college right now. In that case, working at it through the enlisted ranks is a great option.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:51 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,754,004 times
Quarter Master.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 671,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Enlisted/NCO and officer in the US system should not be thought of as 'lesser' and 'greater', despite the pay difference. They are two separate tracks with two separate, but equally important, purposes. Any service would grind to a halt without NCOs; any service would grind to a halt without officers.

If I'm not mistaken, officers are the executives and enlisted are the workers. Isn't officer the way to go to be an executive in the service, or to be some kind of executive/professional after leaving the service?

Officers get more perks and are treated better.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 PM

27,736 posts, read 43,569,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, officers are the executives and enlisted are the workers. Isn't officer the way to go to be an executive in the service, or to be some kind of executive/professional after leaving the service?

Enlisted have technical skills which may lead to their civilian careers. NCOs are team leaders. In my rate as a sailor goes up in pay-grade they shift from working on equipment to more time spent leading subordinates and management of personnel.

Officers are the administration of the organization. In my observation officers are under significantly more stress.

Officers may be paid more in terms of base-pay, but base-pay is often only a small portion of take-home pay and total take-home pay may be otherwise.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM

3,652 posts, read 1,690,101 times
Quote:

Lower enlisted are the workers and NCOs are the managers.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 AM

22,868 posts, read 34,658,239 times
Quote:

Commissioned Officers, Pay Grades O-1 to O10
Warrant Officers, Pay Grades W-1 to W-5
Enlisted Personnel, Pay Grades E-1 to E-9

The chart below shows the ranks for all the services and the number of personnel in each rank/pay grade:
https://www.infoplease.com/us/milita...military-ranks

Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,843,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Officers may be paid more in terms of base-pay, but base-pay is often only a small portion of take-home pay and total take-home pay may be otherwise.
Officers also receive technical pay and bonuses. I'm not aware of any situation where an enlisted is going to be taking home more than an Officer with similar time in service.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM

27,736 posts, read 43,569,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Officers also receive technical pay and bonuses. I'm not aware of any situation where an enlisted is going to be taking home more than an Officer with similar time in service.
I am certain that all O6s earn more than E6s.

I made more as an E5 than my Department Head an O4 made.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 PM

3,349 posts, read 5,282,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

Yes there are times! When I was on CV66 we went into the gulf, which at the time was a war zone. ENLISTED men got the 2 months tax free!! Officers did not.

Sure an officer for the most part has an easier life in the navy than most enlisted but I am glad I wasn't an officer. Many of them I encountered were dweebs lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues