U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,883,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am certain that all O6s earn more than E6s.

I made more as an E5 than my Department Head an O4 made.
An e5 with 8 years makes about 3k per month in base pay.

An O4 with 12 years (the earliest you can get to O4) makes 7200 per month in base pay. That's not including the difference in bah rates. I don't see how you were making more than your DH when the pay difference is about 50k per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 PM

28,072 posts, read 44,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
An e5 with 8 years makes about 3k per month in base pay.

An O4 with 12 years (the earliest you can get to O4) makes 7200 per month in base pay. That's not including the difference in bah rates. I don't see how you were making more than your DH when the pay difference is about 50k per year.
Long time ago, I do not recall the exact numbers. That was the first time that I prepared an income tax filing for an officer. The difference in our take-home pays shocked me. Before that, I had assumed that he earned more than I did.

Base-pay was only around 1/3 of take-home pay anyway, don't fall into the trap of assuming that it is a major part.

I was getting: BAQ, BAS, COLA / VHA, Sub pay, Career sub pay, Sea pay, Career sea pay, Sea pay kicker, and Female separation pay.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 PM

2,455 posts, read 3,943,919 times
Quote:
Long time ago, I do not recall the exact numbers. That was the first time that I prepared an income tax filing for an officer. The difference in our take-home pays shocked me. Before that, I had assumed that he earned more than I did.

Base-pay was only around 1/3 of take-home pay anyway, don't fall into the trap of assuming that it is a major part.

I was getting: BAQ, BAS, COLA / VHA, Sub pay, Career sub pay, Sea pay, Career sea pay, Sea pay kicker, and Female separation pay.
The trap you fall into yourself is bolded in the above quote.

For the majority of service members, base pay is the major part. The plethora of special bonuses and pays you got are not indicative of what most service members receive. You just happened to be in an unusual situation.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 PM

28,072 posts, read 44,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The trap you fall into yourself is bolded in the above quote.

For the majority of service members, base pay is the major part. The plethora of special bonuses and pays you got are not indicative of what most service members receive. You just happened to be in an unusual situation.
Choose your rate, choose your fate.

Also many service members fail to get decent SRB payments. I never got over $65k for my re-enlistments.

Some will rarely see tax-exempt status too.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:46 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,883,827 times
Quote:

All of which Officers get. So again, not sure where you're making up the 50k difference in base pay. It's probably closer to 70k when you add in cola and bah differences.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM

1,265 posts, read 709,332 times
Quote:
Female separation pay.

Are you sure it's not called something like marital separation pay?

Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,040,389 times
Quote:

Most service members don't get any of that. Most don't get SRB's that you spoke of in your next post. I spent 26 years in the Navy and never got an SRB nor did most Sailors.

There is no way an E5 was making more than an O4. You seem to like to embellish the financial situation you were in as that isn't the case for 99.9% of enlisted military members.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,855,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Are you sure it's not called something like marital separation pay?
Just military slang for Family Separation Allowance.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,449,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
All of which Officers get. So again, not sure where you're making up the 50k difference in base pay. It's probably closer to 70k when you add in cola and bah differences.

Not all! You have to have consecutive sea time for some of those, so an officer coming from shore duty wont have as much kicker as an enlisted guy with 4 years consecutive sea time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues