Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 33,983 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My hubby is being forced out because he couldn't pass the course 15 and they refused to let him test for Tech because of it. Higher tenure is supposed to be March but they are pushing him out in October.

We don't know where to go or where to start. We have 2 kids, 3 cats and own a house right now.

What are the best places to apply for jobs? Which states are currently the best for military with low taxes? We are currently in VA and while it is beautiful, the cost of living is wicked high.

He is logistic Test/ Avionics if that helps any.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 01:47 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
One of our relatives was forced out of the Army for failure to pass the physical fitness requirements after several attempts. He was in about two years. He had a background in auto repair and has worked as a mechanic.

He left under honorable conditions and used his VA benefits to go to school at night and weekends and eventually acquired a bachelor's and a master degrees. He also receives a PTSD disability check for mental trauma incurred in Iraq. Doing well and living in low cost of living Texas in a management job.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM

Hubby has 14 years in. He tried to get help...it didn't work. He has his CCAF but that is it.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
Hello.

My hubby is being forced out because he couldn't pass the course 15 and they refused to let him test for Tech because of it. Higher tenure is supposed to be March but they are pushing him out in October.

We don't know where to go or where to start. We have 2 kids, 3 cats and own a house right now.

What are the best places to apply for jobs? Which states are currently the best for military with low taxes? We are currently in VA and while it is beautiful, the cost of living is wicked high.

Thanks.
I don't know what Test/ Avionics is, but in any case he could start at this site and apply. Good company to work for . Locations in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi. They use many skills and they do like to hire Veterans.

Careers

Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't know what Test/ Avionics is, but in any case he could start at this site and apply. Good company to work for . Locations in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi. They use many skills and they do like to hire Veterans.

Careers

He works on the planes. He knows more about it than I do. But I will pass this to him. Thank you!!!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM

363 posts, read 350,044 times
go to usajobs.gov and search for "electronics"

lots of jobs to apply for. some are non-defense jobs! he should look at non-aircraft jobs, too.

Air Force Materiel Command has several large bases with thousands of civilians.

wright-patt, eglin, robins, hill, tinker, edwards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Fo...teriel_Command

Navy has an facility in the woods in southern Indiana with over a thousand civilians, and I would expect that to be a low cost of living area.

getting a fed job will let him get some real benefit for his military time.

don't overlook the contracting companies

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
go to usajobs.gov and search for "electronics"

lots of jobs to apply for. some are non-defense jobs! he should look at non-aircraft jobs, too.

Air Force Materiel Command has several large bases with thousands of civilians.

wright-patt, eglin, robins, hill, tinker, edwards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Fo...teriel_Command

Navy has an facility in the woods in southern Indiana with over a thousand civilians, and I would expect that to be a low cost of living area.

getting a fed job will let him get some real benefit for his military time.

don't overlook the contracting companies
Thanks.

We spent 7.5 years at Edwards.....I'm not sure we really want to go back but will if we have to. LOL

I'll get his butt moving with this information.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:44 PM

532 posts, read 446,436 times
Quote:
Hello.

Thanks.

If he is separating in October he should have or get a timeline from his S-1 (or HR Human resources). This will be a list of all places and people he has to "clear" or checkout through and when to do it. One of these items on the time line should should be a week long class for Soldiers separating/retiring. Sign up for that soon, if someone can watch the kids , go with him.

Sorry about leaving at the 14year mark, that sucks. Just curious , if you don't mind sharing, what is "course 15" that he could not pass?

Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Hello.

Thanks.
Hill AFB Utah (north of SLC) seems to have a ton of contractors in that line of work. I was just there and watched thousands of cars of military and non-military flowing through the gates. Lots of DoD money spent there......big base, lots of buildings to keep those planes in the air......

Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Someone mentioned contractor jobs - be sure to check sites such as Indeed.com. I would have a job lined up before moving. He is likely going to work near military sites or airports.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=avionics&from=googlesl

Contractor jobs are easy to get, and often can lead to good civil service jobs. I would not count on civil service too much as a first job, since getting in is very difficult.

Monster has good job listings as well:

https://www.monster.com/jobs/q-avion...cian-jobs.aspx

Also see:

Avionics Jobs by Aviation Employment

This is a situation where lemons could turn into lemonade, Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues