U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 589 times

Advertisements

HI. Im planning to enlist in the navy after highschool. I would like to someday become a Surface Warfare Officer (SWO). I just wanted to ask anybody if they know what jobs I should pursue in the navy as an enlisted sailor to help me become an SWO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:17 PM

27,615 posts, read 33,042,737 times
You'll have go to college, and graduate, to be eligible for Officer Candidate School leading to commissioning.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You'll have go to college, and graduate, to be eligible for Officer Candidate School leading to commissioning.
So your saying i could apply to be an SWO from any position in the navy after i graduate college?
And also thank you for the quick reply

Old 07-30-2017, 04:26 PM

8,594 posts, read 13,304,925 times
Go to a college that has a NROTC program. You are setting yourself up for failure otherwise. I did know one guy who served an enlistment, then went through a college NROTC program to get his commission.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:35 PM

8,594 posts, read 13,304,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navykidnavy View Post
So your saying i could apply to be an SWO from any position in the navy after i graduate college?
And also thank you for the quick reply
Read this: https://www.thebalance.com/surface-w...fficer-3356616

Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 AM

27,506 posts, read 43,030,862 times
If you were already an enlisted sailor and considering applying for an officer training programs that is one topic.

But if you are a civilian, the journey into the Navy, up through the enlisted ranks to get into an officer training program, is a much longer journey. with many additional pitfalls.

A more direct path would be to attend a college with a NROTC program.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 AM

22,681 posts, read 34,087,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Go to a college that has a NROTC program. You are setting yourself up for failure otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you were already an enlisted sailor and considering applying for an officer training programs that is one topic.

But if you are a civilian, the journey into the Navy, up through the enlisted ranks to get into an officer training program, is a much longer journey. with many additional pitfalls.

A more direct path would be to attend a college with a NROTC program.
I agree. Read about it here: Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Home Page

Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

140 posts, read 132,396 times
I served in the Navy for thirty years and knew many mustang* officers that obtained their commissions after they'd served in the enlisted ranks. Overall, their breadth of experience and leadership skills tended to make them better officers but as others have said that isn't any easy course to plot and there are no guarantees that you'll ever receive your commission if you go this route. If you are academically, financially and emotionally ready for a four year college program then NROTC would be a good option for you. However, if you aren't then enlisting in the Navy and serving for a few years before applying for a commissioning program like "Seaman to Admiral" may be to your advantage in the long run. All that said, the Navy is much smaller now than when I was in and enlisted to officer opportunities are much more competitive than they once were. The Seaman to Admiral program may be worth considering if you decide to enlist. This a link to the Navy's current commissioning programs.

Commissioning Programs

If you decide to begin your career as an enlisted person choosing your rate is very important because that's the job that you're going to be doing for the duration of your enlistment or your career unless you're able to change rates. Rather than focus on what is going to make you more competitive for being a SWO I would think about doing what you enjoy. Prior enlisted SWO come from all different source ratings and I don't think anyone is more advantageous than the other. Of course, that issue is debatable. Once you're an officer candidate or midshipmen you'll get the training that you need to prepare you for duty once you're commissioned as an ensign on board your first ship. Once you're in the fleet you'll ultimately attend Surface Warfare Officer's School.

Surface Warfare Officers School Command Home Page

At your young age you can easily serve a four year enlistment and qualify for the Post 9-11 G.I. Bill. The G.I. Bill will provide you funds for tuition and living expenses that will help you pay for college and enable you to enroll in NROTC while you're in school. You must be commissioned by your 35th birthday so you have a few years to work it out. You have many options and merely have to decide what the best options are for you. Good luck!

Irish

*Prior enlisted officers

Last edited by irishcopper; 08-01-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,805,642 times
If you want to be an Officer, then go to college. Enlisting will do absolutely nothing in helping you achieve the goal of being a SWO. Apply for ROTC or the Academy. Or just go to college and then contact an OCS recruiter.

If anyone tries to tell you that enlisting will help they are lying to you and do not know what they are talking about.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 AM

4,567 posts, read 4,496,661 times
Is not kind of silly, they will promote you to officer right off the bat just because you went to college?

If you want them young, then lower enlistment age, or just pick enlisted after two years in who show promise, and send them to OCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues