U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:14 PM

104 posts, read 29,280 times

Advertisements

Hello im just interested. Is serving in other country army illegal in USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 02:58 PM

533 posts, read 724,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Hello im just interested. Is serving in other country army illegal in USA?
I served with several individuals that have done their compulsory/conscription military service in their home country before immigrating to the USA.
And no, it is not/was not illegal, at least when I did serve many years ago.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:58 PM

4,304 posts, read 2,002,981 times
No it is not for example being drafted by a foreign military because you have residence there. Or going to France with the intention of joining their Foreign Legion. Although it may be a crime to recruit in America or for the American to enter service in a nation waging war against the US where US citizenship might be stripped. Or joining what we see as non governmental illegal combatants like ISIS would be a crime.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:07 PM

It seems logical to me. Not so logical laws here where i live. Brother of my friend is threatened with 2-8 years of prison because of service in France foreign legion.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:38 PM

9,673 posts, read 14,167,610 times
Quote:
It seems logical to me. Not so logical laws here where i live. Brother of my friend is threatened with 2-8 years of prison because of service in France foreign legion.
There is a bit more to it.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:54 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,509,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There is a bit more to it.
The OP is from Slovakia and the other individual served in the French Foreign Legion. This is hardly a matter that Americans are going to be familiar with or will be able to provide an answer.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

1,902 posts, read 1,033,896 times
You can do whatever you like _before_ getting US citizenship. I don't think you're allowed to serve in another country's army after getting US citizenship. Besides, why not join US military force?

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You can do whatever you like _before_ getting US citizenship. I don't think you're allowed to serve in another country's army after getting US citizenship. Besides, why not join US military force?
I was just asking. I am not from US. I am citizen of Slovakia and laws here say you cannot serve in other country army. Brother of my friend served in French foreign legion and he is threatened with prison now. I was just curious if other countries have similar laws.

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

22,649 posts, read 34,007,340 times
Quote:
I was just curious if other countries have similar laws.
I am sure other countries have similar laws... There are about 190 countries in the world. That is a lot of possible combinations which can occur.

The United States has allowed Non-citizens to join the U.S. Military.

Non-citizens can join the U.S. Army as an enlisted soldier, providing they meet specific legal immigration requirements. How to Join the U.S. Army If You Are Not a U.S. Citizen | Chron.com

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

26 posts, read 7,761 times
if that person served long enough in the FFL, he may be able to apply for French citizenship

/

iirc, about 15 years ago a U.S army reservist got in (temporary) trouble for serving a brief period with the Israeli army
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues