U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 AM

18,382 posts, read 22,519,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Lets hope there is no Bias...........
Not too sure what you mean by that. I hope for a more inclusive coverage of the war than the Civil War was. That series should have been named the Army of the Potomac vs the Army of Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 AM

6,439 posts, read 4,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Not exactly correct.
VIETNAM WAR STATISTICS
Thanks for that link.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,209,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Not too sure what you mean by that. I hope for a more inclusive coverage of the war than the Civil War was. That series should have been named the Army of the Potomac vs the Army of Northern Virginia.

A couple of viewpoints....................

Articles: Are PBS and Ken Burns about to Rewrite History Again?

https://acculturated.com/will-ken-bu...ll-full-truth/

Old 08-10-2017, 06:08 PM

14,732 posts, read 13,768,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'll watch, and for bias also thank you very much. Vietnam was a military victory, but a political loss. Those soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines were brave, and should not have been treated the way they were by the LEFT when they got home.
I was a member of "the left" who protested against that horrible war and I didn't greet them badly. In fact, I married a Viet Nam vet. The worst treatment he got when he got home was when he tried to talk to his parents about it and they said, "Oh never mind. We saw it all on tv."

My vet ended up with a severe case of PTSD from Viet Nam but he held it all in until later in life. Then he finally cracked up. The VA said it was the worst case they had ever seen and told me to get a divorce for my own safety. I finally did what they advised.

My ex had a stack of letters he had written to his mother from Viet Nam. All he talked about was that he was fine and how beautiful the beaches were. He didn't want to worry her. He barely ever talked about it to me until after he finally cracked up. Body parts falling from helicopters...having to gather them up...

Thinking back about how that era affected my life and the lives of others I knew, I don't know if I could bear to watch that tv program. I do think it would be important for young people who don't know about it.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:05 PM

18,382 posts, read 22,519,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My problem with The Civil War was his blatant disregard of the western theater & some other factors because he wanted to spend so much time on slavery. I'm not saying that slavery was right. It wasn't. But when he spent about 5 minutes on the Battle of Chickamauga, which was the 2nd bloodiest battle of the war. . .

Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM

23,448 posts, read 20,127,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was a member of "the left" who protested against that horrible war and I didn't greet them badly. In fact, I married a Viet Nam vet. The worst treatment he got when he got home was when he tried to talk to his parents about it and they said, "Oh never mind. We saw it all on tv."

My vet ended up with a severe case of PTSD from Viet Nam but he held it all in until later in life. Then he finally cracked up. The VA said it was the worst case they had ever seen and told me to get a divorce for my own safety. I finally did what they advised.

My ex had a stack of letters he had written to his mother from Viet Nam. All he talked about was that he was fine and how beautiful the beaches were. He didn't want to worry her. He barely ever talked about it to me until after he finally cracked up. Body parts falling from helicopters...having to gather them up...

Thinking back about how that era affected my life and the lives of others I knew, I don't know if I could bear to watch that tv program. I do think it would be important for young people who don't know about it.
Sad situation. We have a great number of Vietnam era vets where I live in FL. Now I'm wondering what they're holding in from what they witnessed.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

311 posts, read 81,760 times
Vietnam is a major tourist attraction for people in that part of the world. Australians and New Zealanders love it! But, most importantly, the Chinese cannot get enough of it. Vietnam can hardly build enough hotels and resorts to keep up with the demand. You old timers, thank you for your service, would not recognize the place.

I have a friend who has made a killing over there. The Chinese are notoriously dirty and litter a lot. Tons of cigarette butts on the beaches, just disgusting. So my buddy started a business selling the carts with graders/rakes that pull behind them to clean up the beaches. They practically have environmental disasters on them daily because of the traveling hordes from Asian countries who have no concept of taking care of the planet like our betters here in America do.

We in fact did win. What is more of a marker of success in Vietnam than good ol' fashioned capitalism? It's not communist, it's becoming westernized and is a destination place.

Maybe not the victory those that served there could have pictured, but probably more significant and far reaching than even the wildest dreamers among them could have imagined.

Well done boys, well done.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

22,674 posts, read 34,073,184 times
Folks:

Stay on topic.

If you wish to moan and groan about politics, etc, take it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance...

Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

350 posts, read 126,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Thanks for posting...

Ken Burns is a well known American filmmaker known for his filming style in documentaries.
One of the best books about the Vietnam War was called the "Tunnels of Cu Chi" and the US Army soldiers who were trained for tunnel warfare. One of the primary soldiers features in that book was a Mexican-American from Albuquerque, NM. There is a photo of him with a captured enemy VC flag. You would think a soldier like that would look victorious. But the look in his eye revealed pure hell in those tunnels. I can only imagine the nightmares and PTSD after the war. I wonder if the documentary will cover those tunnels? I understand the network sometimes opened up right inside the "wire" or perimeter of a base.

Old Today, 06:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,681,349 times
It will be interesting how he covers JFK giving the green light to kill President Diem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues