U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

2,959 posts, read 1,315,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I believe that we did overreact to the threat of communism, Ho Chi Minh just wanted a unified Vietnam which we have today. While you can edit any special to a particular slant there were hundreds of interviews from many people and countries that were involved. I take exception to the title as Ken Burns has in fact done with prior specials on the civil war, dust bowl, baseball, but I'm sure anyone can find fault depending on their opinion.

Something else that stood out to me was the CIA guy who said Truman was never shown the letters that Ho chi Minh wrote to him saying he simply wanted the countries freedom from colonial rule. Why were they not shown to Truman and who kept them from him? I respect Truman greatly and his helping the French was one of his mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 AM

23,801 posts, read 9,509,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
One of the first Vietnam veterans shown that he interviewed states " I hated the Vietnamese". Of 2 million in country veterans he chooses this ones feelings to set the tone for his Documentary.........
I saw that, he said he hated them but he was also petrified, I'm not sure if he still feels that way but it is an honest opinion although from my experience a minority. Those that survived the battles like Hue I could expect the hatred.

Quote:
Something else that stood out to me was the CIA guy who said Truman was never shown the letters that Ho chi Minh wrote to him saying he simply wanted the countries freedom from colonial rule. Why were they not shown to Truman and who kept them from him? I respect Truman greatly and his helping the French was one of his mistakes.
I also found that extremely interesting, there was no shortage of mistakes. Up to that point the Vietnamese had respect for us because we liberated Europe, they thought we had their best interests at heart. When we started funding the French efforts that was the end.

Also the OSF officer (British?) that had brokered a deal with the Viet Minh only to have the British General responsible for South Vietnam over rule him. That was the beginning of the end and any hope disappeared as they began killing.

So many mistakes and such complete arrogance.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I saw that, he said he hated them but he was also petrified, I'm not sure if he still feels that way but it is an honest opinion although from my experience a minority. Those that survived the battles like Hue I could expect the hatred.

I also found that extremely interesting, there was no shortage of mistakes. Up to that point the Vietnamese had respect for us because we liberated Europe, they thought we had their best interests at heart. When we started funding the French efforts that was the end.

Also the OSF officer (British?) that had brokered a deal with the Viet Minh only to have the British General responsible for South Vietnam over rule him. That was the beginning of the end and any hope disappeared as they began killing.

So many mistakes and such complete arrogance.

Sometimes just a few serious mistakes can lead you down a road that you cannot turn around on......

Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,669,506 times
From what I saw from this first episode was that there were so many squandered opportunities that could have prevented this war from taking place.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
From what I saw from this first episode was that there were so many squandered opportunities that could have prevented this war from taking place.

In the great scheme of things and the events that led to the wars throughout history..........you could say that about just about all of them..............

Old 09-18-2017, 12:27 PM

4,632 posts, read 5,197,553 times
Quote:
agree. some of the CIA guys comments of what they thought then and what they know now were so different that, honestly, I am not sure whether the CIA does us (USA not the government) any good or not. Letters to the president from the leader of opposing forces where we have troops in harm's way should not have been withheld.

Another thing that got me is they were discussing events and battles during the 1950s by the French but inserted film clips of Americans fighting in 1969. I guess it was to make the point that fighting in that war was rough and nonconventional. but still, I wish they had gone chronologically.

But as a child in the 1950s and a teen in the 1960s I did appreciate the historical description of the IndoChina War which I vaguely remember but didn't know much about. I do remember Diem and somehow a husband wife team as ruler.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:28 PM

23,801 posts, read 9,509,507 times
I wasn't sure if it was on last night but Nixon's campaign advisor Anna Chennault met with the South Vietnamese Ambassador and asked him to withdraw from President Johnson's peace agreement. She claimed that they would get a better agreement under Nixon which of course wasn't true, Nixon felt that the Paris peace agreements would undermine his campaign. The FBI had wiretapped the Vietnamese Embassy so they had it on record, getting elected is more important than human lives.

Then there was the Gulf of Tonkin accident or was it. So many chances at peace, so many mistakes and lives wasted.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:38 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,770,646 times
Quote:
One of the first Vietnam veterans shown that he interviewed states " I hated the Vietnamese". Of 2 million in country veterans he chooses this ones feelings to set the tone for his Documentary.........
I have a Vietnam vet neighbor with the same feelings. There's something about seeing your fellow GIs getting killed right in front of you that changes how you feel.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM

23,750 posts, read 50,921,384 times
The OSS (CIA) holding back the 1946 letter that Ho Chi Minh wrote to Truman was new information to me.
It's quite an indictment against that agency.

Yet more evidence that we should have never been there...
and that virtually every effort and decision was clouded.

https://www.archives.gov/historical-.../?dod-date=228

Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,669,506 times
I served 18 months in Vietnam, the show last night touched on the inability of the ARVN troops to accomplish a task, I saw that first hand. The attitude of our platoon when being attached to an ARVN outfit was, "Oh great,now we have to babysit". Their reluctance to fight cost a number of lives, couple that with their inability to learn military tactics, well, it was a disaster in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues