U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM

13,957 posts, read 13,604,169 times

Advertisements

Obituary: Adrian Cronauer - the real Good Morning, Vietnam DJ:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44897634
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 632,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Most can't comprehend the abject poverty that most came from. Many didn't understand what Communism actually is. Many had little education.

And note. Parts of the country have been fighting since the 1930's. Japan, English, French, and US. And historically - China.

Massive amounts of ammunition came from China and Russia. The US would have "won" all of this if there was no support from Russia and China.

This was a struggle between capitalism and Communism. Guess who ultimately won?

As a footnote. After Japan surrendered. The British were the first Allied troops to enter Vietnam. To control the cities the British activated the surrendered Japanese soldiers to patrol the streets and keep order.
We had no business being there. Scaring the American public that communism was spreading all over the world just to increase sales of weapons and provisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Is the fight over?
Not as long as the United States is involved. They will always find some new hornets nest to stick their noses in. It's what America does best!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM

9,605 posts, read 17,733,474 times
It a good series & I watch it on PBS. There is still 2,338 missing in action.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:53 PM

I watched the series a few days ago & a lot of things about the Vietnam war (Vietnam & state side) I did not know. It is a war that should of NEVER happened.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM

I knew Richard Nixon was a liar (Watergate) but until I watched this series I didn't know he lied about important things that could of possibly ended the war sooner in Vietnam.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:20 AM

4,658 posts, read 1,164,411 times
I just finshed the series. It was a painful watch.

We did it for the right reasons (stopping the spread of communism) but we carried it out in a disastrous way from start to finish. We fought it like it was the Korean War but it wasn’t the Korean War. Then we feared China was going to get involved so it was a “defensive war of containment” which severely limited us. We also feared Thailand was going to fall to communism but it never did (thank goodness).

Fact is, Vietnam for the most part was just tired of foreigners invading their country telling them what do: French, Japan, and now America. So supplied by China and the Soviet Union, the war was lost before we even arrived.

I read an article that argued Japan was the indirect reason America lost the war. When Japan lost WW2, their withdrawal from Vietnam left a vacuum that the communist were able to fill. Either war, the whole damn thing was just sad.

Last edited by Rocko20; 08-16-2018 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 AM

1,899 posts, read 632,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I just finshed the series. It was a painful watch.

We did it for the right reasons (stopping the spread of communism) but we carried it out in a disastrous way from start to finish. We fought it like it was the Korean War but it wasn’t the Korean War. Then we feared China was going to get involved so it was a “defensive war of containment” which severely limited us. We also feared Thailand was going to fall to communism but it never did (thank goodness).

Fact is, Vietnam for the most part was just tired of foreigners invading their country telling them what do: French, Japan, and now America. So supplied by China and the Soviet Union, the war was lost before we even arrived.

I read an article that argued Japan was the indirect reason America lost the war. When Japan lost WW2, their withdrawal from Vietnam left a vacuum that the communist were able to fill. Either war, the whole damn thing was just sad.

Yeah, right! CommunISM, terrorISM. Notice how each generation has had its 'ISM'. The government and media scared us then as they did with 9/11, and succeeded in brainwashing a lot of people into believing the former, at least, was a real threat. A waste of nearly 60,000 U.S. lives and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,114,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
....Fact is, Vietnam for the most part was just tired of foreigners invading their country telling them what do: French, Japan, and now America. So supplied by China and the Soviet Union, the war was lost before we even arrived.
The above is ironis as the Vietnamese really bristle at the idea of China moving in the direction of Vietnam. Vietnam had a long past history of being invaded and encroached upon by China, and they are very wary of China.

Quote:
For me the embarrassment and disillusion came very early. The U.S. despite all it's usual blabbedidy blab about freedom, etc. supported a Christian clique, the Diem regime, which restricted the freedom of the traditional Buddhist/Confucianist majority and the minority non-Catholic religions. President Diem's sister-in-law, Madame Nhu was called Tiger Lady in Vietnam because of her love of power. She once said, "Power is wonderful. Total power is totally wonderful." And when the regime was riding high with U.S. funding she came out with some other beauties.

Diem's brother was the R.C. archbishop of Hue, and a major influence in what became an aggressive repression of the majority religion, including the massacre of Buddhists who were protesting against the ban on public celebrations of the major Buddhist holy day of Vesak.

The Diem's became so power crazy and repressive that they were turning sympathy in Vietnam toward the North Vietnamese, despite its Communist and atheist ideology....so, bang, bang by the CIA and the Diem's were history. But not for their anti-democratic orientation, but simply because they had become an impediment to U.S. efforts. As in the Iraq invasion all the democracy talk was public relations BS.

The shabby old train station that I commuted from in CT back to NYC each work day was always stocked with copies of The Wanderer, a very right wing privately owned and run Catholic newspaper. They were in love with Madame Nhu and that whole gang, and I would sit there waiting for the train reading their sh*t and wondering why our country could support them as they got worse and worse. As a result, I became disenchanted - and downright disbelieving - about the Vietnam War before all the anti-war hoopla began.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Yeah, right! CommunISM, terrorISM. Notice how each generation has had its 'ISM'. The government and media scared us then as they did with 9/11, and succeeded in brainwashing a lot of people into believing the former, at least, was a real threat. A waste of nearly 60,000 U.S. lives and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese.
I wouldn't say it was a total waste as that would be offensive to the deceased. The Vietnam war showed the world that America was willing to do anything to stop the spread of communism. But it also showed us that fighting wars for certain reasons can be totally wrong, regardless of the intention.

We were stuck between a rock and a hard place. We didn't want to offensively invade North Vietnam since that would startle China but we didn't want to withdraw because that means we're losers. We wrote a check our butts couldn't cash.

I imagine the French were just laughing at how stupid we were, supporting a side with no will to fight.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The above is ironis as the Vietnamese really bristle at the idea of China moving in the direction of Vietnam. Vietnam had a long past history of being invaded and encroached upon by China, and they are very wary of China.
I have to do more research on Vietnam. It was ironic that after the war Vietnam went on to invade Cambodia. Here they had one of the biggest victories (arguably) against a superpower and they couldn't even keep the peace.

I would agree Vietnam is very wary of China as is all of South East Asia and East Asia. China really prides itself on being a menace/bully and trying to increase it's spheres of influence. Every other week there seems to be an anti-Chinese protest in Vietnam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
For me the embarrassment and disillusion came very early. The U.S. despite all it's usual blabbedidy blab about freedom, etc. supported a Christian clique, the Diem regime, which restricted the freedom of the traditional Buddhist/Confucianist majority and the minority non-Catholic religions. President Diem's sister-in-law, Madame Nhu was called Tiger Lady in Vietnam because of her love of power. She once said, "Power is wonderful. Total power is totally wonderful." And when the regime was riding high with U.S. funding she came out with some other beauties.
Excellent point and very good post. What that regime did to Buddhists and how it oppressed people was downright nothing short of a human rights violation. That was pretty much the foundational train wreck of what the Vietnam War would become.

This regime was so damn corrupt, evil, and oppressive that Buddhists were setting themselves on fire. And the regime was just laughing about it. You're right, that was the first sign of disaster in that we had no idea what the hell we were doing. We were supporting dictatorship oppression of a foreign country. Hell the next leader after him was also corrupt.

I generally support the foreign choices of our government, but yes we have done some messed up things that even Hitler would be ashamed of. It will be very hard for Americans to ever wrap our head around the bad choice we made in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or